Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Belgium agrees to sex offender's request for mercy killing

Interesting. The article says that this prisoner (repeated rapist and convicted murderer) felt that he was a menace to society and didn't pursue early release, but cant stand confinement anymore, so he wants to die.

I have a couple of thoughts on this. First, why don't we (Americans) allow euthanasia for our sick and dying people at their request? Hell, euthanize prisoners like this guy that would rather be dead, too. Why not?
The United States does not prohibit this. It is not a federal question, but a state issue. And five states do indeed permit physician-assisted suicide: Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Vermont and Washington.

Why don't more states allow it? Because those states are full of people and politicians who think they know better than an individual and that individual's chosen personal physician whether or not those people should undertake such a procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 02:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
A real brain-dead logic at work by tying our hands with horrific criminals and not executing them. With technology like DNA testing, there are very accurate ways to convict these criminals. Once conviction is achieved, the appeal process is moot and a waste of time and resources; these criminals need to be executed quickly and efficiently for the sake of society. This particular criminal sees the light and wishes to stop wasting our precious air and food....good for him and what are the Belgians waiting for? Hop to it!

I wish more criminals can do society a belated favor and ask for their own quick death. A waste of money keeping them fed and cared for. I would rather the resources go to education and other worthy social services...even animal shelters over the housing and care for harden criminals. Ridiculous liberal logic.
If we spent that money in the first place we wouldn't need to lock people up for life.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:46 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
The slippery slope so far as the US and 'ill' people is what qualifies as 'pain and suffering'?

Look, we can get a doctor in this country to write a prescription for anything at all.. I don't think it'd be hard to find a doctor to sign off on you killing yourself. Having ALS.. Is that enough to choose to die? At what point? When you get diagnosed? When you have symptoms? What about AIDS? That's a (more or less) chronic condition now vs the death sentence it was 20 years ago.. Would it qualify? Depression? Rhumatoid arthritis?

I certainly am not against euthanasia... But, I have some serious concerns over implementation. It can't be black and white, it can't be shades of grey. It's almost something that has to be judged on a case by case basis.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 PM

142 posts, read 242,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I certainly am not against euthanasia... But, I have some serious concerns over implementation. It can't be black and white, it can't be shades of grey. It's almost something that has to be judged on a case by case basis.
Four states already do this. It's a shame the others don't. I'm an RN, and I have a little bit of experience with the terminally ill. I've known people who have committed suicide because their illness was unbearable. My mother was the one to find her best friend dead. She killed herself with drugs and alcohol because her cancer came back. My mother was a wreck after finding the body. We shouldn't put people through this. Let people choose to die with dignity. There is a good procedure in place in the states I've read about, it's not willy-nilly let's kill grandma so we can get her money like the politicians would have you believe. Goggle the procedure: generally two doctors have to sign off on a terminal condition under strict parameters.

As to the reason why we can't get good lethal injection drugs: the drug companies won't comply because they believe execution is barbaric.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
I actually commend him.

Most people like him are selfish and would do anything to live.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
.......Secondly, if Belgium has access to drugs to perform euthanasia, why are we having so much trouble getting the drugs needed for the humane lethal injection of prisoners?

Thoughts?
As I understand it, the Europeans will not sell us those drugs because they don't believe in the death penalty.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As I understand it, the Europeans will not sell us those drugs because they don't believe in the death penalty.
Ahhh, the irony of the lives we 'live' in this 'modern world'.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 AM

498 posts, read 977,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
Everyone should have the right to die. If there were anyone who didn't deserve to have this right, however, it would be certain criminal offenders.
Why keep him alive just out of spite? Just kill him and be done with it, and everyone involved will be happy.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
I'm completely Ok with this. We should be able to do the same here if prisoners requested it. Even the sick or those with chronic pain should be able to die by euthanasia as well. I know people are afraid the very fabric of society would tear itself apart if such things occurred though. Thing is, people will kill themselves anyway, albeit usually in a violent or painful way, which isn't necessary.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:54 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
You mean this idiot doesn't like being confined anymore. Kind of like how he trapped his victims and confined them while performing his disgusting acts. Solitary confinement for life now buddy.
No thanks. Solitary costs about $80k/yr. In OR where assisted-suicide is legal, the pills apparently cost about $50. $80k/yr or $50 once? Easy choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events