Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's this that makes me so skeptical that Ebola is hard to get. If the biggest risk is in removing the protective gear, and yet the protective gear just went through a bleach rinse and diluted bleach water is right there to immediately wash off with, then how are these workers picking up this disease? I don't think they're getting it from cuts. It has to be easier to transmit than that.
No. The hazmat suits are adding risk because people are making errors in removing them because they're complicated and specfic. If you read the pathogen safety data sheet for eboli I posted earlier in the thread, bleach solution needs to used for 10 minutes or more. A bleach rinse wouldn't kill ebola. They are having false security and then mishandling their equipment when removing it. These workers are dealing with an incredible amount of ebola patients during their shift. The amount of ebola on their protective gear is substantial compared to what you'll encounter going about your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They stopped Ebola outbreaks in small, remote villages, when the particular virus strain was so deadly it killed over 90% of the people infected. Viruses that deadly aren't good spreaders because they're too lethal. This strain appears to be less lethal (not by much) and more communicable. The authorities have always been concerned that if Ebola hit a heavily populated area it could be disastrous.
It's not less lethal today. It was 90% because people weren't receiving the level of medical care they are receiving now.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-05-2014 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM

10,182 posts, read 6,233,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. Nobody remembers the Ebola outbreak in the 90s? There weren't all these hysterics then. Is it the Internet?
What bother's me is how the media is saying "exhibiting flu-like sysmptoms". The majority of the public is going to think anyone sneezing and coughing might have Ebola. Vomiting and diareah are signs of a norvirus or what is more commonly called "stomach flu". They are all not the same thing. Getting your yearly flu shot will not protect you from norovirus. There is no vax for it. Feeding the panic, and misinformation, a bit here?

Good example is that man and his daughter stopped at Newark Airport. Vomiting? Turned out he didn't have Ebola, but just the old ordinary stomach flu. Will people go into a panic with fear now seeing anyone vomit in public? Too much to drink? Eating bad food? Pregnant women with morning sickness? Maybe EBOLA???????

I have worked with special needs children in school and MR/DD people in group home. My job required that I take yearly OSHA, Blood Borne Pathogen, and Universal Precaution courses every year. I have cleaned up blood, vomit, and changed countless diapers, using procedures for disposable gloves, cleaning, and disposing of body fluids, but we were never told to wear masks, or suits. Interestingly, in the past 20 years I have not gotten the "flu", or a flu shot, being around a lot of sick people, especially little children. Again, no masks. I've had a lot of sick people cough and sneeze right in my face. Not to get OT here, but maybe being exposed to so much illness over years, you just build up your own natural immunity. Going back over decades in my own household, my kids and husband (sleeping in the same bed) have had the flu, and norovirus, and I did not get sick. Can you get closer contact than that?

Putting aside the extreme of Ebola, why are people so paranoid about catching something from strangers today? Personally, I think it is the media, Internet, and possibly the CDC, using fear for their ulterior motives.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:52 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,730,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Because the citizens of those Ebola-stricken countries look like our President.
I hope that's not the reason, but I fear you may be right.

I got sliced and diced into bits on another thread because I dared to question the wisdom of Dear Leader.

I stand by my original statement though: The administration should have CUT OFF all travel from Ebola-stricken countries months ago, and in this case, their actions speak far louder than their words.

And *that* is quite worrisome.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Maybe not but I'm not quite as confident that any of us are immune from being in her place. If this thing spreads, any one of our children can be at risk of contacting it in school, at the doctors office, etc.

And what happened to all your compassion, do you not feel sorry for the people and kids who got exposed just because you're not them?

Duncan put the lives of innocent people at risk, whether for his own purposes or out of reckless ignorance but the fact remains. If it were not for his actions no one in Dallas would be at risk right now, but they are. I don't know how you can feel any shred of compassion for this guy.
It's possible to have compassion for people who were exposed to the virus without hoping Duncan dies.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
The Monsters are Due on Maple Street.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,973,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Bless your heart, I know you don't.

By the way, Liberia can't have an IQ - it's a country, not a person. But the fact remains, like it or not, that the average IQ of people living in Liberia is well below the average IQ of people living in the US. And by the way, the average IQ of people living in the US is below that of some other countries' populations!

Facts are pesky things, aren't they?
No, the average IQ of people living in Liberia is NOT well below the average IQ of people living in the US. Geographic location doesn't determine IQ. Poverty, neglect, lack of educational opportunity MAY affect IQ throughout the world, but it is incorrect to assert that individuals in a certain location have an IQ below individuals of another location.

Bless your heart yes, facts are pesky things.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:24 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,195,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Where is the COMMON SENSE ? Lets do like France and Saudi Arabia has done and shut down any flights coming from there.
There could easily be an outbreak in this country and how many people need to die before they say they made a mistake?
Some fool was on the radio today saying that we cannot isolate Liberia because we owe them from the days of slavery!!!!!!! WHAT.... It is OK to be PC but at the cost of innocent American lives?

Why doesn't our Gov take this threat more seriously?
I called my Congressman the morning after the first outbreak requesting exactly that. As usual we the people are ignored. I agree, the guy on the radio was a fool.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
No, the average IQ of people living in Liberia is NOT well below the average IQ of people living in the US. Geographic location doesn't determine IQ. Poverty, neglect, lack of educational opportunity MAY affect IQ throughout the world, but it is incorrect to assert that individuals in a certain location have an IQ below individuals of another location.

Bless your heart yes, facts are pesky things.
Source please?

Here's my source - or rather, multiple sources.
National IQ Scores - Country Rankings
Countries with the Highest / Lowest Average IQ | Statistic Brain
IQ and the Wealth of Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://hsmt.history.ox.ac.uk//course...k_8/volken.pdf
World Literacy Rates by Country | Biblioburro: The Donkey Library | POV | PBS
GeographyIQ - World Atlas - Rankings - Literacy - total population (All Descending)

I am not talking about INDIVIDUAL IQ scores or literacy. I'm talking about averages.

However, it's not incorrect to state that individuals in certain locations have higher or lower IQs than individuals in other locations. Individual IQ scores vary widely and are the result of many factors, including but not limited to environmental factors. I have never stated (because I don't believe it for one thing) that any one group is genetically predisposed to having lower intelligence. I think that intelligence is greatly influenced by environment and that given the same advantages, all races have the same potential.

But Liberia really, really sucks when it comes to prenatal care, health in general, cleanliness, education, infrastructure, etc. It's no great mystery why their literacy rates are so low and their standard of living is so abysmal. We are largely products of our environment and hopeless poverty and poor health standards have long reaching ramifications, not just in the lives of individuals, but for many generations.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
No. The hazmat suits are adding risk because people are making errors in removing them because they're complicated and specfic. If you read the pathogen safety data sheet for eboli I posted earlier in the thread, bleach solution needs to used for 10 minutes or more. A bleach rinse wouldn't kill ebola. They are having false security and then mishandling their equipment when removing it. These workers are dealing with an incredible amount of ebola patients during their shift. The amount of ebola on their protective gear is substantial compared to what you'll encounter going about your life.
Excellent point, I wondered about that. In removing gear, you have to touch that gear with your bare hands. Then how much of that gear is completely disinfected? How did these doctors, wearing protective gear, get infected? I'm sure they were smart enough not to touch a patient without their gear on.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,872,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Funny! Thanks for the laugh!

This isn't a new virus. It has been around since 1976.
I know it's original strain is not new but isn't there several strains now? We also have a very,very small area impacted and until fairly recently it was a death sentence and not a whole lot of "focus" was given to the issue. For these reasons I stand by what I said, I think there's a ton of guessing going on right now and will continue until this has been seriously worked on by the U.S. and other developed nations.

Nothing motivates people to find solutions better than death and $$$$$, especially their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events