Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times

Advertisements

Some information for those actually care about how to handle situations like this (as opposed to simply loving the sound of their own pontificating based on nothing more than gut-feelings, what Sean Hannity said last night, or some silly Hollywood film about a fictional epidemic):

Quote:
A new study suggest airport screening for disease control rarely makes sense, but if it's undertaken, it should be done at the source of the outbreak.

The researchers say the screening of passengers leaving via a few key airports near the epicentre of an outbreak is a better approach than having hundreds of airports around the world screen arriving passengers.

The research is based on a study of air travellers departing from Mexico in the early days of the 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-headlines/airport-disease-screening-rarely-worthwhile-study-suggests-1.1231679

Note: Ths study was published in April 2013. It is a look at the possibilities and limits of disease-dispersal management that can be applied to the current oubtreak - but only if the fear-mongers will take a deep breath and for once embrace actual science over alarmism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:06 AM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
BURIED in an airtight casket? That doesn't sound like a good plan. Wouldn't he need to "prepared for burial" if that's the case?

As to the cremation, who's gonna drive him there?

If I owned a funeral home, I wouldn't be too keen on this.
There is no preparation such as embalming if you are immediately buried

Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,866,849 times
I am not a conspiracy nut by any stretch, but... just saying. Why have recent posts given so much air-time to how sick or not a person would have to be in order to be a bio-terrorist?? With a virus this infectious all the terrorist would need is contact with an infected person. They now know they are infected. And they have possibly 3 weeks to travel with their threat status undetected for up to three weeks. Once they are past any airport checkpoints they are home free.

Why are the airports not closed yet? I'm serious. I heard this morning that we are concerned about the effect on the African economy if air travel were suspended. Really? I've heard some stuff in my day but... really? Folks we need to mobilize some push-back and agitate for some re-thinking of the idiocy that we can just allow a slow build-up of Ebola infected people inside our borders. We cannot run around checking the temperatures of potentially thousands of collateral contacts of infected people, waiting for them to show signs of illness. We can only do it now because of the very low case-load. 100 people are being watched just from Duncan's short stay in Dallas. Multiply that by 5, or 10. Go forward months and multiply that by 50... ...

Few people are going to be stupid enough to fly while ill. A 21 day incubation means they can fly while healthy and then move around inside American cities and towns with impunity. When and if they do become symptomatic there is very little that unprotected (that's you and me) people can do about it. Or are we going to start mandating that we all remain 6' apart from everyone. I don't think that's practical but we either do that or we close the borders. Or does someone think that there are too many of us and that this might be a good way to cull some of the weaker stock? Frankly, I'm really puzzled.

H

Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,256,519 times
I don't have any idea how disposition of the remains will proceed. That's an excellent question.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 AM

25 posts, read 49,298 times
I am worried about NYC. A lot of foreigners come here for vacation or whatever. I would think NYC is going to become a hotbed for Ebola. What you guys think? I mean moreso, statistically moreso than say Omaha or Milwaukee. Most tourists come here...

Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,272,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The extra precautions should make you feel more secure. They're not doing it because they think the world is coming to an end. They merely want to ensure they identify every ebola carrier as early as possible and minimize the exposure. They wouldn't be taking these measures if the Dallas hospital hadn't screwed up so badly. The mistakes that have been made has cause them to take it more seriously. They're trying to prevent one to four extra people from dying due to contact to one patient. Taking it seriously and containing it while there are only a few people to trace is the smart thing to do.
I agree that Americans may be able to finally have confidence, that for now, at least there is a conversation accompanied by action to implement measures to the very best of our abilities (which are huge in comparison to poor countries) to safeguard the public.

Unfortunately, and at the same time, thankfully the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas was a huge eye opener in that Western countries appeared (and indeed were) unprepared, thinking 'it can't happen here'.

This about face in attitude and preparedness is all that the American public was looking for; some sense of protocol with uniform policies and procedures in place across the board instead of a fragmented, willy-nilly, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, which-way-did-they-go mentality.

Everybody on the same page...period.

I can only say, rest in peace Mr. Duncan, with condolences to his family and friends both here and abroad.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM

3,604 posts, read 4,444,605 times
What a shame. Was hoping he'd pull through. This is one tough virus to beat...even the some of the most advanced medical technologies in the world couldn't save him. Scary thought. I sure do hope this is the end of Ebola here, though. RIP Thomas Eric Duncan.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Brace yourselves for the avalanche of "he had it coming" celebratory posts.
That's the majority of the comments at the end of the yahoo article. They are selfish and have no compassion.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,238,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
What a shame. Was hoping he'd pull through. This is one tough virus to beat...even the some of the most advanced medical technologies in the world couldn't save him. Scary thought. I sure do hope this is the end of Ebola here, though. RIP Thomas Eric Duncan.
I hate to say it, but I doubt this is the 'end' of it. Not by a long shot. Truly sorry Mr. Duncan didn't survive.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am not a conspiracy nut by any stretch, but... just saying. Why have recent posts given so much air-time to how sick or not a person would have to be in order to be a bio-terrorist?? With a virus this infectious all the terrorist would need is contact with an infected person. They now know they are infected. And they have possibly 3 weeks to travel with their threat status undetected for up to three weeks. Once they are past any airport checkpoints they are home free.

...A 21 day incubation means they can fly while healthy and then move around inside American cities and towns with impunity. When and if they do become symptomatic there is very little that unprotected (that's you and me) people can do about it. Or are we going to start mandating that we all remain 6' apart from everyone. I don't think that's practical but we either do that or we close the borders. Or does someone think that there are too many of us and that this might be a good way to cull some of the weaker stock? Frankly, I'm really puzzled.
An infected person can only infect a certain number of people before their symptoms debilitate them.

I don't know about you, but I don't have close contact with strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events