Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, yeah, this is the line they've been selling for a few days now. I just don't believe it. Who says we can't get medical personnel in and out as long as it's limited to only essential personnel and quarantine? I'm not saying don't send people there, just restrict business and tourism visits (non-essential travel in my opinion).
Yes, no problems bringing the Military in and out. Just include Medical workers with this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Hey not to worry CDC director Frieden says its hard to catch...I have a bridge in Brooklyn for you.

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The report right now on CNN states that Duncan told the ER on his first visit that he was from Liberia. Seems like the hospital would be in line for a legal case.
The hospital should be liable, but so should the U.S. government who allows people to travel here on tourist visas from countries experiencing outbreaks of a virus so virulent it has previously only been in the United States in a Containment Level 4 facility. And they continue to do it! The mind boggles.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Wouldn't he have logically said "I wasn't exposed to E but I was to M"? And based on that wouldn't it be serious enough to admit him? Hospital's fault it seems, in any case.
Don't worry..lots of folks want to see someone hang for this.
Even Jesse Jackson is saying there is liability and they have to pay for it.

There will be a financial settlement to the family to make it all go away.

And then any foreign traveler to the US that catches it just may do the same.

Just think..if the US State Dept stopped issuing tourist visas until this is contained then Duncan would not have come here.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How do you figure we can't stop people from coming here from West African nations? Of course we can! And the rest of the world should be coordinating that with us. We should allow essential personnel into those nations to help try to contain this virus. We should have done this months ago. Why hasn't the World Health Organization been more on top of this thing? I thought they were training for a global pandemic for years, but the response from WHO and the CDC has been extremely disappointing so far.
Why is the US or any European country for that matter issuing tourist visas in Ebola stricken countries ?
Business is one thing but tourist visas ?

Duncan came here on a tourist visa and yet countries warn about non-essential travel.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I have to agree with Katy on this. It's entirely possible to restrict travel from those countries while allowing medical personnel and supplies to come and go.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
There is absolutely no way to prove that.
There is absolutely no way to prove he did know either. There's more evidence he didn't know.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
A guy from the CDC just answered this in a press conference, he said that doing that would mean the end of assistance to the effected areas (to paraphrase somewhat) and that would have the consequence of making the outbreak worse and pushing it out into other parts of Africa, and then out into the global community, having the reverse effect.

The problem being that if aid workers and medical personnel can't easily get out once they're in they will stop going. They need to be there to help contain it as best they can.
The US State Dept can certainly stop issuing tourist visas to Africans living in those ebola stricken nations until this blows over.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why is the US or any European country for that matter issuing tourist visas in Ebola stricken countries ?
Business is one thing but tourist visas ?
That's what I've been saying since I found out about Mr. Duncan, but I've had several accusations of racism thrown my way. Mr. Duncan came here on a tourist visa, issued by the United States, in the midst of an outbreak so severe it doubles every three to four weeks. These new airport screening procedures wouldn't have stopped Thomas Duncan from entering this country since he was asymptomatic at the time. It wouldn't have stopped him from hooking up with his fiancé and having a party where he may have potentially infected at least two or three of the 48 people he came in contact with. Now that number keeps growing exponentially as these numbers do.

Our government was on television assuring the public that Ebola wouldn't make it to this country, so why are we blaming the hospital more than the government that allowed this man entry into our country? If anything, the hospital is liable for it's share, but they ought to have a case against the government for potentially infecting all those hospital staff members and people in the emergency room and EMTs, etc. Ultimately, our government is the one who let this guy come here on a tourist visa.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:38 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
If this deputy ends up having it...oh how the tides and stories will change. From I SWEAR ITS NOT THAT CONTAGIOUS, to oh crap we might have a problem!

But no need to worry right? everyone is so sure that the CDC is being 100% truthful AND accurate that there must be direct contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events