Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:38 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, yeah, this is the line they've been selling for a few days now. I just don't believe it. Who says we can't get medical personnel in and out as long as it's limited to only essential personnel and quarantine? I'm not saying don't send people there, just restrict business and tourism visits (non-essential travel in my opinion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yes, no problems bringing the Military in and out. Just include Medical workers with this group.
But they aren't military, they're civilians, who want to be be able to come and go as they see fit. It definitely will give people pause of they have to rely on military or other non independent means to get home.

If commercial air travel is restricted then there will be problems getting people to go. To put this in perpespective, considering there has been one case even with open travel, you don't want to create more problems than you solve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 04:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
ABC Evening News....... "The Family is VERY upset at the level of care Duncan received"

Give me a break. The man had better care than he could ever have gotten in Liberia.
Millions wave been spent on this man who brought the disease to the US.

ABC, you're just as bad for Sensationalizing the story.
CNN, get Jesse Jackson off the air. The man is not a legal or medical expert.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:40 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
The people over there don't even WANT the aid workers present...they slaughtered 8 of them last month. Is it really that bad to cease sending people over there.

We've seen a nurse contract it by not following proper procedure, how is an aid worker going to be any different? How many people have we flown back to the states now to treat? At whose expense? Do we just keep sending aid over there and then flying them back one by one as they contract it

Old 10-08-2014, 04:40 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The US State Dept can certainly stop issuing tourist visas to Africans living in those ebola stricken nations until this blows over.
He was responding to the question why don't we ban all travel from Western Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68
How do you figure we can't stop people from coming here from West African nations? Of course we can! And the rest of the world should be coordinating that with us. We should allow essential personnel into those nations to help try to contain this virus. We should have done this months ago. Why hasn't the World Health Organization been more on top of this thing? I thought they were training for a global pandemic for years, but the response from WHO and the CDC has been extremely disappointing so far.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:41 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There is absolutely no way to prove he did know either. There's more evidence he didn't know.
I'm not sure he knew, but man I wish he would have mentioned to the doctor that he just came here from Liberia. Maybe that would have registered with the doctor at least, even if it went over the nurse's head. Without travel restrictions in place, this was going to happen somewhere in the United States. I have no doubt that this early in the game, just about any ER would have misdiagnosed it. Ebola wasn't on a lot of people's radar until a couple of weeks ago, and any big city hospital emergency room is overrun by people coming in for anything from a gunshot wound to a heart attack to an ear infection or stomach virus. That's why emergency rooms are the worst places to go for routine illnesses, and lots of uninsured people do just that.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:41 PM

39 posts, read 26,662 times
Very sad. At least he had 12 years of what I hope was a happy and loving life. The story doesn't mention the breed, but 12 years for any dog is fairly long. I just hope his death wasn't senseless.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:42 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
I just saw this too, and this absolutely disgusts me that they would say that he was not given the same quality of care as the Americans who were brought back here to be treated. He was definitely given better care then he would have received in Africa.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
We'll find out in the next week or so...
It seems that every day we wake to the news that someone else here or in Spain or wherever has symptoms or that more have died. You can almost count on it being in the morning news.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:43 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
But they aren't military, they're civilians, who want to be be able to come and go as they see fit. It definitely will give people pause of they have to rely on military or other non independent means to get home.
West Africa is now a Medical War Zone.

Travel should be restricted in this situation. Just necessary people involved in the operation.
Transportation in and out should be controlled by the US Military.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
There's a good reason why the bulk of viruses and disease start in the 3rd world.

Most of the problem with the proliferation of diseases in third world countries is geared around general cleaning and toiletry practices. Using your left hand to wipe yourself, a stick and a sponge or putting your used toilet paper in a open container next to the toilet is very conducive to the spread of viruses and disease.

Different Types of Toilets You'll See Around The World | WOE

The Left Hand Toilet Technique and Spitting - Most of the World Does It - Road Junky Guides

When the CDC people say the risk of transmission here is not the same as in the 3rd world I can see why.
It's interesting how many countries have actual water for cleaning up instead of toilet paper. Water has to be more sanitary than what we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events