Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Cremation creates smoke. Ever thought of that?
"The casket or container is placed in the cremation chamber, where the temperature is raised to approximately 1400 degrees to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit. After approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours, all organic matter is consumed by heat or evaporation. The remaining bone fragments are known as cremated remains."

Cremation FAQ | National Funeral Directors Association

Any virus is kaput at that temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I think this quote is interesting:

Quote:
The deputy was ordered to go inside the unit with officials to get a quarantine order signed. No one who went inside the unit that day wore protective gear, and Monning had objected strenuously to that decision.

Deputy admitted to hospital over Ebola concerns

Old 10-08-2014, 10:14 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are, I believe, at least two vaccines that are being fast tracked. One has already been given to volunteers in a preliminary safety study.

Liberia needs a vaccine ASAP. Considering the attitude there toward Western medicine, I am concerned that they may not be able to get enough people to take it when it is available. Hopefully at least the medical people can be protected.

If any coercion is used to vaccinate folks, there are some here who will be up in arms, no matter how many people are dying.
This article from the New England Journal of Medicine describes the current state of vaccine research and development. There are indeed two vaccines being pursued. One is being developed by Glaxosmith Kline and the other by New Link Genetics. The former vaccine has shown 100% efficacy so far in trials with primates.

I hope this link comes through.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...2166?query=TOC

Last edited by markg91359; 10-08-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
Guess I am not as forgiving as a lot of posters. I feel sorry for his family and that is the limit of my compassion.

He lied on his exit questionnaire from Liberia, he put everyone at risk, his family, friends, and potentially dozens of others, even could have been you or me or our loved ones. I have no remorse about his death.
I feel very bad about his death, but he did LIE in order to get into this country, and he put many other people at risk due to it. That doesn't mean I don't feel any sympathy about his death. Death is a pretty harsh punishment. But IF the family is intending on complaining about how mistreated he was (or whatever), they can go pound sand. He should have never been allowed in this country and been able to cause all this havoc in the first place!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:38 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
There's a good reason why the bulk of viruses and disease start in the 3rd world.

Most of the problem with the proliferation of diseases in third world countries is geared around general cleaning and toiletry practices. Using your left hand to wipe yourself, a stick and a sponge or putting your used toilet paper in a open container next to the toilet is very conducive to the spread of viruses and disease.

Different Types of Toilets You'll See Around The World | WOE

The Left Hand Toilet Technique and Spitting - Most of the World Does It - Road Junky Guides

When the CDC people say the risk of transmission here is not the same as in the 3rd world I can see why.
And yet we continue to "welcome" them without restrictions.

I feel bad that he died, as I had hope that by being in America, especially at a hospital in Dallas, that he would survive what others were dying of. I did, however, want him prosecuted for lying about not being exposed to Ebola and putting OUR CITIZENS at great risk.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 10-08-2014 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Added comments.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
He did not receive zmapp, like the two doctors who survived did, but he did get a different experimental drug, brincidofovir. He wasn't immediately given it, though. It took about a week after he'd been hospitalized before he rec'd it.
Dallas' Ebola patient waited days for experimental drug - CNN.com

Who knows if it would have been more effective if he'd received treatment when he first went to the hospital.
Why the differential treatment I wonder.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Quick, grab the guns and RUN FOR THE HILLS! The ebola zombie plague is coming!

Oh, wait, gotta wait till Costco opens tomorrow, we need 96 rolls of toilet paper. I'm not going through the end of the world without tp.

Ok, seriously, if this thing doesn't get locked down like now, yesterday would have been better, I have serious doubts about the governments ability to stop it. They are simply too stupid and incompetent.

Save the last bullet for yourself!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yes, was thinking the same thing.
Except AIDS can be avoided with alterations in behavior and testing of blood supply. Maybe they didn't know that at first, but it's what it turned out to be. Ebola, on the other hand, is definitely spread easier than sexual contact. We know a lot of people are catching this that aren't even sure how they contracted it. One guy may have gotten it cleaning out a car, presumably wearing PPE and water and bleach, and one possible breach in protocol may have caused him to get it.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
My .02 cents

I already knew the Liberian guy would perish in Dallas. I was so sure of it, that I was compelled to post my prediction in the Dallas forum days ago, but decided against it out of compassion.

I believe he knew there was a strong possibility that he'd been exposed while helping the pregnant victim in Liberia, and immediately decided to come to the U.S. for treatment in the event that he began experiencing symptoms.

He supposedly came here to "marry his fiancé, and mother of his 19 year old son"- neither of whom he has seen since they left Africa 16 years ago! He wasn't experiencing a fever that would alert medics at the Liberian airport, then lied on the questionnaire to ensure his exit. Once here, he probably thought he'd be in good hands, but no... they waited 6 FULL DAYS before administering experimental treatment.

This "looks" suspect in the court of worldwide public opinion, given the expeditious treatment (and subsequent recovery) of the Americans who somehow managed to beat this deadly disease. I won't even touch on the fluorescent elephant in the corner with regard to the patients themselves... which brings us to this ironic newfound "second possible victim"

Let me be the first to say (I can't suppress these pesky premonitions any longer ) that I don't believe for even a millisecond that this Policeman has Ebola, not on my pension! This is nothing more than a concerted effort to divert attention away from what has actually taken place---the U.S.' successful nastigram to outsiders seeking medical care by coming here for it. This was the governments way of saying "you all are in for a surprise if you think coming here for treatment is the answer... you'll be isolated, and nature will take its course."

The biggest joke of all is the fact that this Policeman is supposedly experiencing symptoms, when not even a single individual who admittedly had direct contact with this Liberian (all of whom are still quarantined as we speak) have reported any symptoms to speak of!

Ohh, and let's not forget, the director of the CDC said today, that it could take up to 14 days to know for sure if he in fact tests positive.... perfect timing... just long enough to allow all the scutiny with regard to the deceased victim to subside. Gotta love the damage control hijinks.

P.S.- If the deputy does in fact test positive, he will be just fine!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I read Fever by John G. Fuller and in that case, when someone was infected with Lassa, they also used the blood of a person who had recovered from the disease. But I remember very clearly in the book, one of the scientists was saying that the longer you waited to use that blood, the less chance the person would have. Personally, I think Duncan was just too far along to be helped.

Also, did anyone see the 48 Hours story on Ebola? They said there were only a few doses of Zmapp available to begin with and the makers were extremely reluctant to try it out on human patients first. More doses are being made and by 2015 there were supposed to be enough doses to give to 20 to 80 infected people in Liberia. People don't understand how much effort goes into making vaccines. They think that all a scientist has to do is mix a few ingredients and SHAZAM! an instant cure! Well, it doesn't work like that. I think by the time they actually come up with something that works on a large scale, the crisis will be long over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events