Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:45 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I've been following this very closely for a couple of weeks on another forum. On Sunday one of the posts was about the need for volunteers to work from their computers to do extremely detailed mapping, mainly in Monrovia. I looked at the websites to see if it might be something I could handle but it is beyond my very limited computer skills. It occurred to me that I might be able to get some people who did have the skills. In the past students from Virginia Tech have volunteered to help my humane society from time to time with various projects and I thought I might find some students who would be interested in doing this. Going through their list of student organizations I found the Geographical Society and sent an email to the head of the group, hoping that she would not just delete it or think it was spam. I heard back from her the next evening and she already had nearly 40 students lined up and they are very familiar with the computer programs that are being used. She also put the word out to a friend at Texas A & M knowing he would be very interested and she expected that he would recruit some students there. It's a small thing but if it helps the epidemiologists and other health care workers in their efforts even a little bit I'm happy to have done this tiny thing.

The scope of what it will take in the way of material and people to get ahead of this is almost impossible for me to comprehend and I have some background in purchasing, inventory control and logistics. The fact that it was all needed months ago and that the world is so far behind the curve on dealing with this and must now try to scale up the effort asap is truly daunting and I'm not sure just how fast we can play catch up. Is it possible to keep it mostly limited to the region it is now in and not have a large scale spread to other nations in Africa and to other continents with limited infrastructure. I do assume that there will be isolated cases that are quickly contained in many places.

Here's a link to a very good interview with Dr. Daniel Bausch:

Dr. Daniel Bausch Knows The Ebola Virus All Too Well : Goats and Soda : NPR
Great link. Dr. Bausch summarizes the situation nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 12:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Default New treatment center fills in hours

A new Ebola treatment center in Monrovia, Liberia with a capacity of 120 beds was overwhelmed in a matter of hours and is overflowing and is estimated to have close to 200 patients.

Ebola outbreak: Liberia's newest, largest treatment clinic already at capacity - Health - CBC News

As of Sept 23 the numbers from WHO are: cases - confirmed, probable & suspected 6,574. Deaths - 3091.

It is believed that the number of cases is significantly under reported since those individuals who never get admitted to a treatment center are not included.

This continued S. Leone daily new case increase brings the estimated 3-country daily new cases for 9/27 up to 190/day from only 80/day 10 days ago, and the 5 and 10 day moving averages up to 162/day from 100/day and 138/day from 120/day 10 days ago, but new case numbers due out today for Guinea and Liberia will give more reliable trend indications.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:01 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
... I think we wish this "Ebola" stuff would just go away already so we can concentrate on the more important news...
I don't wish it would go away. I wish it would migrate to Somalia, Iraq, Syria, Iran, Afghanistan and the like. Then, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia could fund a cure.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I don't hear Bill Gates and others spending his fortunes on curing Ebola unless he still thinks malaria is a major disease to cure.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Why is it always the West's responsibility to babysit Africa and their endless problems? Africa is a big continent, I'm sure one of their rich nation neighbors could help contain this.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't hear Bill Gates and others spending his fortunes on curing Ebola unless he still thinks malaria is a major disease to cure.
You might want to check before making such a statement:

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Media-Center/Press-Releases/2014/09/Gates-Foundation-Commits-$50%20Million-to-Support-Emergency-Response-to-Ebola

"SEATTLE (September 10, 2014) – The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation today announced that it will commit $50 million to support the scale up of emergency efforts to contain the Ebola outbreak in West Africa and interrupt transmission of the virus."

Malaria:

Malaria Kills 1.2 Million Annually, Double Previous Estimates - Medical News Today

I guess you think 1.2 million deaths a year worldwide from malaria is trivial.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Why is it always the West's responsibility to babysit Africa and their endless problems? Africa is a big continent, I'm sure one of their rich nation neighbors could help contain this.

We can help deal with this outbreak now or wait until spreads outside Africa. Which would you prefer?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:34 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
The problem with this part of the world is that you can't trust any of the figures. There is no rationality or reason. And many times small problems are made out to be big problems so that big money can be attracted to the problem. Money which is later redirected to the private fortunes of the thugs who are in power.

You give money to a UN agency. Who knows where it really goes? Nobody, that's who.

Unless Mr. Gates is willing to personally supervise the purpose of his gift, it is highly likely that most of it will evaporate.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
Ebola may be in Dallas

We should find out sometime today.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Why are some people oblivious to the fact that containing a pandemic probably costs non-African countries less than allowing that pandemic to spread uncontained would cost them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events