Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
please provide links to the current studies that you believe show that dogs can "harbor" the disease.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/242221210...and-Human-Risk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I highly doubt people in this thread are wishing Ebola on people.
Some people on here are happy when someone dies from Ebola, so its not that much of a stretch to think that some of those people are also wishing Ebola on people.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:01 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The one positive about Mr Duncans illness and death is that maybe now the world will act to work very seriously on stopping the outbreak.

It's no longer a 2nd page article in far off Africa.
That is true, and the other take away from this is that hopefully it was a wake up call for hospitals around the country. A learning curve in what to do and what not to do. You never know when the next ebola infected person will walk through the doors of an ER somewhere in this country. No room for error with this.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:17 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Should dogs in the USA that could have been exposed be killed too???
Absolutely! Or maybe they should be quarantined and used for experimental purposes...

Old 10-09-2014, 06:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Re: Killing a healthy dog because it's owner had ebola. They could have easily run either a PCR or ELISA test to see if the dog had any virus. Totally irrational over reaction.

Next time a single person in a big shopping mall sneezes assume that they have H5N1, shut down the mall and quarantine everyone there for a couple of weeks, just to be on the safe side.

Next time you're bitten by a mosquito assume that you'll come down with Dengue Fever.

Next time you have a headache assume it's meningitis. After all a 16 year old boy died of it two weeks ago in Quebec.

Next time some kid in school coughs assume it's tuberculosis.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:08 PM

575 posts, read 616,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
The "family" wants to get a lawsuit going. Good luck with that, hospital personnel will stick together and lawyers don't know anything about medicine.
Err, that's why lawyers hire doctors to testify. The hospital was probably negligent in sending him home on Friday. But it will be hard to prove that caused his death and unless that caused the death there is no liability. Also, the hospital reportedly did not request permission to use experimental medicine until 5 days after the patient was admitted. That may have been sub-optimal. But again it would be hard or impossible to prove that he would have lived if he had the experimental medicine sooner. Further, Texas has strict limits on damages. Something like $500,000 for anything but economic damages. Thus top plaintiff's lawyers will pass on the case, not enough upside to justify the cost and expense of prosecution.

The guy was probably in denial about having Ebola. If he thought he had it and wanted to live, he would have asked the doctors about it on Friday. Think about it. If you go to the hospital because you're worried that you have a fatal disease, you probably mention it while you are there.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:16 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I would imagine the stress of knowing you were in an Ebola infected apartment must be incredible. Officials have said one thing (no risk if not directly in contact with body fluids) but have decontaminated schools, squad cars, taken the ambulance that transported Duncan out of service, etc. Decontamination of the apartment took 3 days. So their actions certainly don't jive with their assurances. And being tight-lipped and giving sketchy details don't help inspire confidence.

Nor does the CDC refusing to answer any questions regarding the patient in Atlanta and ending the press conference immediately after the question was asked. On a smaller scale, here on CD every thread about Ebola in the Dallas thread has been closed. That concerns me, as my son takes the train to work in Dallas every day and is exposed to hundreds of Dallas residents. It's one thing to talk about Ebola when you are sitting hundreds of miles from the source, but quite another when you are in the thick of it and see how local officials are handling this. I wish the moderators would reconsider.

The deputy most likely does not have Ebola. But no one is taking any chances, and you really can't blame them. But with flu season right around the corner, I can only imagine the concern of whether the symptoms are flu or Ebola? ERs are going to be swamped.
The decontamination of anything remotely connected to Mr. Duncan, whether it was actually contaminated or not, is solely to allay the fears of people who do not believe that Ebola needs close contact for transmission.

For those of us trying to follow multiple Ebola threads here reducing the number of them is very helpful.

There is a simple way to help ERs with the flu versus Ebola problem. The biggest is to take the flu vaccine, because if you do the risk of needing hospitalization for the flu goes way down. If you think you have the flu call your family doctor. Do not go to the ER. The primary care docs can (and should) ask the travel screening questions and refer only those with responses to those questions that raise concern to the ER, which can be prepared ahead of time to receive them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I am just wondering what the hospital will do with the dialysis equpiments they used for Duncan - I am talking about the part of equipments that is used to pass his blood. It is expensive medical equipments , and I wonder how they will do with it. If I required dialysis, I sure would not want to be put onto the same machine they used for Duncan.
As others have pointed out, the parts that come in contact with the patient can be discarded. The rest of the machine can be disinfected, as can the room itself, the bed, and any other durable equipment used in his care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I must admit that my friend who is Argentinian (and far more of a cynic than me by far!) came up with the police officer deflection theory, as well as the notion that the Liberian came here for treatment in the event of.

The only points that I adamantly believed myself (and still do) is that:
1.) he would meet his demise in the states, and he did!
2.) the government purposely delayed the experimental treatment
3.) if the deputy tests positive, he'll be good to go.

Both the Liberian and U.S. government were in talks of bringing this guy up on charges for lying on his exit questionnaire. I just do not believe the U.S. government was exactly tripping over one another to save someone who in their eyes placed Americans at risk by bringing it here.

What happened to this guy certainly sends a firm message to outsiders who may have considered coming here for treatment given the success of Nancy Writebol and Dr. Kent Brantley. You can't deny that.
I can and do deny it. The experimental treatment was given as soon as it was authorized. The drug is not in development for treating Ebola but entirely different viruses. The FDA authorized as soon as it was asked to do so.

The deputy has tested negative.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
It is unfathomable to me that they have to wait that long for results.

And yet they've routinely "released" (cleared) several folks hours after holding them (initially)?

What in the world?
The ones who are "cleared" early are those whose history does not support exposure to Ebola after it is thoroughly investigated.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Err, that's why lawyers hire doctors to testify. The hospital was probably negligent in sending him home on Friday. But it will be hard to prove that caused his death and unless that caused the death there is no liability. Also, the hospital reportedly did not request permission to use experimental medicine until 5 days after the patient was admitted. That may have been sub-optimal. But again it would be hard or impossible to prove that he would have lived if he had the experimental medicine sooner. Further, Texas has strict limits on damages. Something like $500,000 for anything but economic damages. Thus top plaintiff's lawyers will pass on the case, not enough upside to justify the cost and expense of prosecution.

The guy was probably in denial about having Ebola. If he thought he had it and wanted to live, he would have asked the doctors about it on Friday. Think about it. If you go to the hospital because you're worried that you have a fatal disease, you probably mention it while you are there.
It seems to me that the use of the experimental drug came about because some astute infectious disease doc did a ton of research and probably spent another ton of hours consulting people with expertise on the biology of Ebola. The drug used is not even being developed for Ebola treatment. It's not like the company that makes it offered it. The docs treating the patient asked to be allowed to try it. It was pretty much a shot in the dark.

ZMapp very likely is helpful, but because of its pharmacology and the way it is produced it will take time to get more.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:33 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I bet at least half the participants of this thread are disappointed at this news.

Now they can't bleat "I TOLD YOU SO!" and they lose the chance to blame the government/society/foreigners/etc. for this.

But queue up the "I DON'T BELIEVE THIS!" conspiracy theorists in three-two-one...
What? You're nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events