Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:09 PM

983 posts, read 994,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is downright silly. It's video (and article) of hazmat team coming onto a US airways plane because a passenger SNEEZED and then joked saying he/she has ebola. That's sort of like how I joked to my husband when he saw a bruise on my food. The most ridiculous part about it is the person SNEEZED. That's not a symptom for goodness sake.

What It Looks Like When There’s an Ebola Scare on a Plane
They most likely took it as a threat. What's the #1 rule of airline travel? Don't make jokes about bombs. Lethal viruses would fit in this category also.

The flight attendants handled it very well though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 02:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why would one do an autopsy, and expose an entire additional layer of personnel, when the diagnosis has been confirmed? Is it necessary to know the patient also had coronary artery disease or undiagnosed cancer?
Murder. It creates the perfect scenario for the perfect murder.

Malpractice. There's no recourse. Can't prove anything without an autopsy.

I'm not advocating autopsies be done on ebola patients. I'm just pointing out that it does create an environment were there is no accountability, and someone could take advantage of that.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:30 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
This is the scenario that so many people have been warning against. But it seems impossible to create a healthcare infrastructure from virtual scratch in the most affected places, plus over such a wide area already. The whole globe will be affected, certainly. There's no good news here except that MSF's people are magnificent.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
There's no good news here except that MSF's people are magnificent.
What's MSF?

Old 10-10-2014, 02:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
What's MSF?
Medicins Sans Frontiers

Doctors Without Borders

Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 PM

672 posts, read 788,907 times
Quote:
Murder. It creates the perfect scenario for the perfect murder.

Malpractice. There's no recourse. Can't prove anything without an autopsy.

I'm not advocating autopsies be done on ebola patients. I'm just pointing out that it does create an environment were there is no accountability, and someone could take advantage of that.
Sure, but the chances of something other than ebola killing a person with ebola (by that, I mean the muliple organ and system failures that happen with a viral hemorrhagic infection) would be so minute as to be non existant. I mean, it is plausible that someone could have thought something along the lines of what I said, like, "He's going to die, we will just give him enough morphine so that he has a fatal overdose before we spend a bunch of resources on him", but only barely so. Especially since most medical staff take their oath very seriously, most are dedicated to saving lives.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
^^^^
Thank you, sorry for the abbreviation.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:00 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
This is the scenario that so many people have been warning against. But it seems impossible to create a healthcare infrastructure from virtual scratch in the most affected places, plus over such a wide area already. The whole globe will be affected, certainly. There's no good news here except that MSF's people are magnificent.
And how many of them have contracted Ebola? I know quite a few Ebola experts have died, and about 50% of healthcare workers who contracted it have died. What about the other 50% though? Are they now immune, like smallpox or chicken pox survivors? Or is it more like flu, so people get immune to one strain but are still susceptible to a different strain?

If they get immunities like to smallpox, how long is recovery time and would they be willing to get back in the trenches and help these people without fear?

Old 10-10-2014, 03:11 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes I made that point in my other post about how visas work.

And the Visa Waiver Program can just as easily be amended or suspended as necessary. And you STILL need your passport to use the Program.

Like I said in that post...this is an academic argument with many factors.

Here is the list of Visa Waiver countries. And PART of the requirements.

Visa Waiver Program

WHY are people arguing this POINT - NITPICKING? YOU STILL NEED PAPERWORK YOU JUST DON"T SHOW UP IN BELGIUM OR WHEREVER AND HOP A PLANE! You can only HOP into the USA through our open land borders. (Yes I stipulate there may be some loosey goosey stuff with Mexico and Canada but I'm not interested in it enough to play Nancy Drew Immigration Expert)

Each Traveler Must have authorization under ESTA

In order to travel without a visa on the VWP, you must have authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a U.S. bound air or sea carrier. ESTA is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) automated web-based system to determine eligibility to travel without a visa to the United States for tourism or business. Visit the ESTA webpage on the CBP website for more detailed information, to apply for ESTA, and pay the fee.

Travel Must be on an Approved Carrier

If arriving by air or sea, you must be arriving on an approved air or sea carrier. You must also have a round trip ticket indicating return passage to a country* outside the United States.

BTW Duncan had a one way ticket and was not a Belgium national. Liberia is not on the list. Nor are other African countries. FWIW.
Nor did Duncan have a fever, so he would have gone through the screening procedure just fine and still possibly infected all those people. No way am I going to believe they're going to send some nurse round to all these people to take temperatures every day, and if Duncan could have handled a woman who died hours later in an Ebola ravaged country and still convinced himself he wasn't that sick, then I am not too confident they will self-report.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:14 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
They most likely took it as a threat. What's the #1 rule of airline travel? Don't make jokes about bombs. Lethal viruses would fit in this category also.

The flight attendants handled it very well though.
The man yelled Fire in a crowded Airplane. What a dummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events