Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Sure, but the chances of something other than ebola killing a person with ebola (by that, I mean the muliple organ and system failures that happen with a viral hemorrhagic infection) would be so minute as to be non existant. I mean, it is plausible that someone could have thought something along the lines of what I said, like, "He's going to die, we will just give him enough morphine so that he has a fatal overdose before we spend a bunch of resources on him", but only barely so. Especially since most medical staff take their oath very seriously, most are dedicated to saving lives.
There can be a point where decisions will be made on who lives and who dies. Weren't they already talking about that with health insurance and the elderly even prior to ebola? And you even said it costs a fortune for a hospital to treat just one patient. If this became full blown, maybe people without health insurance will get euthanized. Nobody would even suspect until there was a pattern. I'm sure hospital administrations are already projecting their financial bottom line in the event of a full blown healthcare disaster and brainstorming ways to survive it. Don't think for a moment that this won't be discussed.

But I'm not only thinking of medical staff. What about the spouse with the big life insurance policy? If it gets to the point of Liberia, not everyone will make it to the hospital. Of course, I don't think it's going to get that bad in the US, but your pointing out there will never be autopsies done on ebola patients is unsettling. You said it's "well known." Gee, it wasn't well known to people outside of the medical community. While it makes complete logical sense, it didn't even occur to me until I read your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 03:21 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I'm sure I don't know. Not sure what this has to do with their accomplishment and effort.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:29 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
What's going to keep this from killing millions of people in the future?
I guess we don't know. It certainly sounds bad. Epidemiologists have been predicting a world plague for some time now.

It would help if we had one unimpeachable source of information to help evaluate it. Our President contradicts the Center for Disease Control which contradicts the World Health Organization. Maybe no one knows.

It will be a few more weeks before we can see what direction we are going here in the USA. And I just keep thinking about all those thousands and thousands of people out there flying every day. . .

Old 10-10-2014, 03:31 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,603 times
Wait, is someone implying that Mr. Duncan was murdered?

Old 10-10-2014, 03:51 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
LOL! No, just speculation by people with active imaginations!

It does go to show how internet misinformation can be innocently generated though.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
You have first world countries and lots of volunteer medical staff trying to work in third world countries with corrupt governments, people distrustful of government and seeped deep in rituals and superstition.

The growth is exponential here and the numbers will continue to get bigger and at a faster pace.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 PM

I read a reader comment that said he should be charged with domestic terrorism and sent to jail.
Pretty tough mob out there these days.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
LOL! No, just speculation by people with active imaginations!
I'm not speculating Duncan was murdered. I'm just speculating on the potential in the future for people to take advantage of a situation that will never be autopsied. While I do have an active imagination, I have a sliver of a grasp of reality to go with it. LOL I'm not thinking the sky is falling. That's for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It does go to show how internet misinformation can be innocently generated though.
This is more frightening than ebola.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:29 PM

If I were him that pregnant girl dying would have sent me running to the doctor.
This was Liberia and Monrovia, ground zero for ebola where they have people dropping dead in the streets.
I'd be taking my temperature every 10 minutes as well.

How could he not even consider that he was exposed to ebola ?

Old 10-10-2014, 04:29 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
I know what you meant. It's fodder for Hollywood, though. I suspect we'll see the made-for-TV movie in a year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events