Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I suppose it might happen if it continues to spread. We did separate Polio patients in facilities years ago.

I would bet there are Govt plans for just the situation sitting on someone's shelf for the last 40 years.
With the PC and overshadowing labeling of discrimination do you think the government would do that today ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 12:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
I love Daily Mail articles because they are loaded with information via pulling a bunch of information from multiple article into one place.

Home of Dallas nurse who has tested positive for Ebola under police guard | Daily Mail Online

Texas health care worker who treated Ebola patient there tests positive for the disease | Daily Mail Online

Old 10-12-2014, 12:46 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,896,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yes, but see my post above. Minimizing exposure is smart. Once they are on a vent and dialysis, it's too late. They should not be dialyzing the dead, as my friend who worked in acutes put it. Once Ebola has shut down your kidneys, and your ability to breathe, you are as good as dead. I'm sorry to say that, but I've seen nothing to date to contradict my dark view.
I thought it was interesting that the head of the CDC admitted no other Ebola case has been put on dialysis to his knowledge. Another bad decision by the hospital?

Old 10-12-2014, 12:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,507,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I suspect they'll eventually need to offer hazard pay to find staff willing to treat ebola patients.

They can still reduce the numbers with careful scheduling. There are twelve hour shifts. That would be two per 24 hours. Even if they do regular 8 hour shifts and keep it at 3 per 24 hours, there are other ways to reduce numbers. Don't allow vacations or days off during the treatment of an ebola patient so no other workers need to be exposed. That's not unreasonable since ebola patients don't live long or recover within a few weeks. Give them an extended paid vacation after the patient dies or recovers.

Choose another team to work on the next ebola patient while the first team goes through the 21 day monitoring. That way they can easily identify which patient transmitted ebola to staff. Don't give me crap about there are a limited number of staff at hospitals. Dallas has more than one hospital. There is a way to do this right if they bother to try.
Well yes, but nurses are no longer nuns with no families who have devoted their lives 24/7 to service. Nurses have families, lives, responsibilities. It's hard to expect real people to just put their lives on hold and expose themselves to a deadly disease.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I thought it was interesting that the head of the CDC admitted no other Ebola case has been put on dialysis to his knowledge. Another bad decision by the hospital?
Do you honestly think the hospital is acting on its own without the advice and recommendations of the CDC in DC ? This is a first ever of Ebola in the US.

I'm sure they did that because Duncan is Black. The US so far has had 100% recovery rate of Ebola patients in the US. They probably went over and above because Duncan was Black. And it didn't matter because we're hearing it anyway.."The White patients recovered but the Black patient died"

Old 10-12-2014, 01:00 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I hear that this is not keeping the crowds away from the State Fair.
I stopped going myself cause it just got too crowded to enjoy.
Oh, if I had plans to go to either a Cowboys game or the state fair, I'd go ahead and go. But we just had our fair here in Northeast Texas and I'm all faired up. LOL.

I wouldn't panic if I lived in Dallas and I'm not panicking an hour and a half east of Dallas, but I sure don't like this whole Ebola thing.

An aside note - I had ordered some goggles from Amazon the other day. I got an email stating that due to an unexpected number of orders, they had run out and therefore my order was canceled.

However - they hadn't run out. They had merely TRIPLED the price. Still taking orders on the same item - at triple the price, stating that it's "in stock."

Old 10-12-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Choose another team to work on the next ebola patient while the first team goes through the 21 day monitoring. That way they can easily identify which patient transmitted ebola to staff. Don't give me crap about there are a limited number of staff at hospitals. Dallas has more than one hospital. There is a way to do this right if they bother to try.
My sister, the nurse, told me they probably asked for volunteers. You are not going to get 100% buy in from all these healthcare workers.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:04 PM

36,973 posts, read 40,928,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Define "close".....sitting in a seat right after an infected person who was sweating or perhaps even threw up in? Using a toilet in a tiny airplane bathroom, having to touch just about everything just to use it....after someone was very ill? Stepping in vomit in a parking lot...too close for me.
If you encounter vomit, avoid it. The vomit on the street is more likely to be from a drunk than an Ebola patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I am not sure about that as the issue. Sure there is lost of discharge and virus but they are wearing containment barriers. I am thinking that the suits cause sweating and open pores. Thus not only does the the virus get directly to other bodily fluids instead of dry skin, it gets to invade in open pores or at least persist there. I wonder if the procedure should include sitting in refrigeration until the skin dries and the pores close?

The Fascinating and Gross Proof of Just How Much Investigators in Those Hazmat Suits Sweat | Video | TheBlaze.com
It does not go through intact skin. That includes pores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
From what was being reported on CBC she had "extensive" contact and had been wearing all of the protective gear.

As for me, I'm not surprised at all and it confirms that the "experts" are deceiving us about how easy it is to contract this strain. It's already been revealed that it's mutating fast.

We are in a lot of trouble - hopefully the naysayers will FINALLY understand this...
There is no evidence that any mutation has caused a change in the behavior of the virus. Yes, the scientists are looking for it.

You might want to read a bit about how hard it is to take the protective gear off without contaminating yourself. I am weary of repeating it.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well yes, but nurses are no longer nuns with no families who have devoted their lives 24/7 to service. Nurses have families, lives, responsibilities. It's hard to expect real people to just put their lives on hold and expose themselves to a deadly disease.
There is a way to reduce the exposure via scheduling. If people aren't willing to give up their days off for two weeks and have a long paid vacation afterwards for doing so, they can use the same nurse to cover days off for the three other nurses who are handling the three shifts per day. That will be four nurses in contact with the patient as opposed lord knows how many the way they're doing things now.

I also think the nurses should be doing nurse's aide functions to cut all nurse's aides from the contact list. If the nurses aren't treating other patients and are only responsible for the ebola patient, the nurses have time to provide most of the care during their shifts.

I think they need to look at procedures and truly question which staff are absolutely necessary for treating ebola patients. The question has been raised about putting Duncan on dialysis and the decision might have been an unnecessary exposure. I wonder if they are sending technicians to draw blood when the nurses can do that. I'm sure there are many other healthcare workers who can be cut from the contact list this way.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,157,536 times
I'm weary of reading it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events