Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:11 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Good grief. What a moron. So, the "logic" here is that... mmm... uh... well, what exactly? That he wants to kill half the country so that people will... mm... well, what? How is ebola supposed to advance his health care intitiatives? Did she explain that before you walked away laughing? Cripes, these conspiracy nuts make my brain melt.

Oh, and mark me down as another liberal who is screaming to deny entry to people who've been traveling in the hot zones. There's absolutely no reason not to be doing this, and the refusal to take this step is borderline criminal in my opinion. Maybe not even borderline. And the really stupid thing is, anyone with half a brain has known for weeks that we will almost certainly have no alternative but to do this in the very near future, no matter what. So when the administration finally does admit that, and does their 180, they're going to look even more incompetent than they already do, and public confidence will be damaged even more than it already has been. Very poor crisis management from the White House, but then again I've come to expect nothing better from this outfit.
Obama is a reactor, not a leader. I wish he had more experienced staff, but one would think after six years the staff would be experienced. Who in his administration is not wanting to shut down travel from Africa? I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:18 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

And with the guy in Boston, who presented with Ebola symptoms and had recently traveled to Liberia - he got OUT OF THE ER and was already in his car getting ready to leave when the ER staff literally ran out of the hospital after him to stop him.

I mean,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ewTCEFUeY
Sort of. The Boston guy was at a doctors office or walk in clinic, not an ER. What I heard was that the receptionist told him to go to his car (rather than expose everyone in the room.) That's what was on tv here anyway. Although I saw the video of him being carried on a stretcher wearing a surgical mask--don't know whether he was carried from his car or from the clinic. I think there was someone else with him too, maybe another one on a stretcher taken to the hospital.

But the nutty thing is those poor people who were sitting there waiting for their medical appointments. They don't know what to think. One woman who is seven months pregnant was terrified because people were walking around in hospital gowns and wearing surgical masks and someone yelled "Emergency!"

She said she got out of there just before they closed it down and told everyone they couldn't leave. She said all they were told was to go home, wash their clothing, and take a shower. I hope there is more follow up than that although these people seemed "with it" --I think they will know enough to call the clinic tomorrow and ask what they should be doing. (Or else the clinic will have a list of who was in the office that day and can contact them.) The main concern was to isolate the possible ebola patient.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A great first step would be to put pressure on the Senate to approve a Surgeon General. This is exactly why we need one.
We have an Acting Surgeon General.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Sort of. The Boston guy was at a doctors office or walk in clinic, not an ER. What I heard was that the receptionist told him to go to his car (rather than expose everyone in the room.) That's what was on tv here anyway. Although I saw the video of him being carried on a stretcher wearing a surgical mask--don't know whether he was carried from his car or from the clinic. I think there was someone else with him too, maybe another one on a stretcher taken to the hospital.

But the nutty thing is those poor people who were sitting there waiting for their medical appointments. They don't know what to think. One woman who is seven months pregnant was terrified because people were walking around in hospital gowns and wearing surgical masks and someone yelled "Emergency!"

She said she got out of there just before they closed it down and told everyone they couldn't leave. She said all they were told was to go home, wash their clothing, and take a shower. I hope there is more follow up than that although these people seemed "with it" --I think they will know enough to call the clinic tomorrow and ask what they should be doing. (Or else the clinic will have a list of who was in the office that day and can contact them.) The main concern was to isolate the possible ebola patient.
Interesting - here's what I read:

Braintree Hospital Isolates Patient with Ebola-Like Symptoms - Massachusetts news - Boston.com
Quote:
ohn Monahan of Fox 25 reports that the patient came to the facility to refill a prescription. He then reportedly returned to his car before clinic staff ran out after him to prevent him from leaving.
The patient went in, with ebola symptoms, got the prescription, then walked out and got in his car.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:35 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Default 18 Hours ago

Why Ebola is More than a Disease ?Spread by Bodily Fluids? : Natural Society

Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading in this Liberian newspaper. It's no wonder they're afraid of us and the health care workers over there. Look at the right side of the article to see other stories.

The Ebola Breakout Coincided with UN Vaccine Campaigns | The Liberian Observer

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Liber...ne/42279623238
Nutty conspiracy theorists aren't limited just to Americans. Read the comments. They want our countries to be infected so we can "get what we deserve." They are angry the Spanish nurse is getting better and Africans are dying. They truly think Europeans are getting treatment while it's being withheld fro Africans.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-12-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-12-2014, 07:43 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
That's odd... if he's just getting a prescription refilled, how did the subject of his symptoms even come up? How did the conversation get from "I'd like some more Zyrtec, please" to "Stop right there, you may have ebola"?

And as for the people who were "not allowed to leave for hours..." who didn't allow it? Under what authority? And why did they comply?

Screw that. If I'm in the waiting room of a clinic and I feel like leaving, I'm freakin' leaving. And don't get between me and the door. Last time I read the Constitution, there was nothing in there that granted receptionists the power to indefinitely detain American citizens. This whole thing sounds like a real weird sequence of events so far.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting - here's what I read:

Braintree Hospital Isolates Patient with Ebola-Like Symptoms - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

The patient went in, with ebola symptoms, got the prescription, then walked out and got in his car.
Ha! Maybe both versions are right. Let's see, he came in to get his prescription, someone asked him how he was doing, he said he had a headache and body aches and then all H*** broke loose. Or maybe someone there is doing a CYA.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ha! Maybe both versions are right. Let's see, he came in to get his prescription, someone asked him how he was doing, he said he had a headache and body aches and then all H*** broke loose. Or maybe someone there is doing a CYA.
Who knows - I think we will see CYA rising to a whole new level as this thing progresses.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

We can't even expect a frickin' doctor to follow quarantine, because Dr. Nancy Snyderman has been seen all over town getting food and stuff, and she was around a person in her own camera crew who is being treated for Ebola (not to mention the many she probably was around in her hazmat suit so she could show us the protocol).
Really??? Well guess so. NJ is now moving for a mandatory quarantine. She needs to be fired - and fast by NBC.

NBC Dr. Nancy Snyderman -- I'd Like Ebola Soup, Please | TMZ.com

I thought Dr. Snyderman was a frigging idiot from the way she handled the fews days she managed to be in Liberia before having to be fetched home by a NBC-chartered flight. First she shows up and hires a human rights worker turned cameraman who had been exposed to Ebola.

Didn't she first ask any questions about where he'd been or what he'd done to assess risk? I thought part of the protocol was for a news reporting group to decide on then maintain safety measures. THIS gets the whole crew BACK on that chartered jet within a few days of her arrival.

As for her work while there?
'She Was Helpless': Taxi Driver Describes Ebola Patient's Fateful Ride - NBC News

The taxi driver explains that he needed to "intervene a bit" when asked to pick up Ms. Williams to ask what was REALLY wrong with her. Was it Ebola? Her parents reassured him, saying the issue was pregnancy related (although if the LA Times is correct the clinic she needed to be picked up at had said she was ill with malaria and asked for her removal). Snyderman responds - so you had no IDEA at all she was sick with Ebola? The driver concurred, repeating Snyderman's words. Why not ask why he was concerned of the possibility of Ebola? Why he questioned the parents?

Later on the driver notices the blood coming from her mouth. Again suspicious, he asks the parents for an explanation (they say it was caused by the convulsions). But no comment by the doctor about what these convulsions might have meant.

Snyderman asks the driver where he drove the group - he rattles off the name of 3 hospitals and a clinic. Her ONLY question (at least as shown on video) - did that last clinic turn her away? Well, yes - duh, she died a few hours later at home. Not one question about the types of hospitals they went to or even WHY she was turned away. She didn't seem to have a clue about how Ebola healthcare in Monrovia was being managed or structured.

Given that everyone in the taxi that day except the driver (who somewhere said HE wasn't about to touch Ms. Williams) is either dead or ill with Ebola, some more questions by Snyderman sure seemed called for during that interview.

Contrast that with reporting done by someone like Norimitsu Onishi, the NYT bureau chief for southern Africa who has been in Monrovia for weeks.

Quote:
The family of the woman, Marthalene Williams, 19, took her by taxi to a hospital with Mr. Duncan’s help after failing to get an ambulance. Ms. Williams was turned away for lack of space in the hospital’s Ebola treatment ward, the family said, and they took her back home in the evening, hours before she died. Mr. Duncan helped carry her because she was no longer able to walk. In the taxi, Ms. Williams, who was seven months pregnant, had been convulsing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/us...ient.html?_r=0

I can't find the cite now, but Onishi had written in another article of the taxi going first to the JFK Hospital's main entrance but being directly instead to their Ebola Treatment Center (ETC), where they were turned away.

Of the two other hospitals visited that day, ELWA contained an ETC but Borden (a private hospital) did not.

And now Dr. Snyderman won't maintain quarantine. Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events