Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:06 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,305 times

Advertisements

Ah yes. The hospital. They diagnosed him as having a viral infection and gave him antibiotics (which only work on bacteria) and sent him home.

This, is in addition to not hearing him when he said he had no social security number because he lived in Liberia, and had just come from there.

Sheer incompetence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
So now we're at 80 people who are the potential circle of people exposed to Ebola. So, not worried that it could spread?
It's only ONE guy right so how bad could it be?

Family members were just served legal papers to quarantine them to their home and ordered to have no contact with anyone outside of their home until mid October at least so yes, you can be detained for this.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Got news for you, buddy - I'm not heartless at all. In fact, my heart hurts for the FIVE CHILDREN he knowingly exposed to this horrible virus, and for his girlfriend and their families as well. Too bad they allowed such a jerk into their lives - now they may pay a very high price for misjudging his character.

OF COURSE the hospital screwed up. I've never said otherwise. Yes, they screwed up. But that doesn't remove the culpability from this Liberian jerk either. He withheld extremely pertinent information from the medical staff. Knowingly. He KNEW he had been in very close contact with not one, but TWO people who had died of Ebola just a couple of days before he hightailed it over here. Still, he knowingly put his girlfriend, her FIVE CHILDREN and their families - not to mention at least 80 other people (and counting) in the US - at great risk - with no regard for their safety at all.

He's a jerk. That doesn't make me heartless.
Knowingly? How did he knowingly expose himself? Do tell.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So now we're at 80 people who are the potential circle of people exposed to Ebola. So, not worried that it could spread?

Family members were just served legal papers to quarantine them to their home and ordered to have no contact with anyone outside of their home until mid October at least so yes, you can be detained for this.

Did it say what measures they're taking to make sure that those quarantined people actually do stay home?

Are they relying on the honor system?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:15 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
We won't see any more than a few very small clusters here in the US and other countries that have a good public health care system and an educated citizenry.

However, ebola may be devasting to some thirdworld countries like India where there are strong superstitions about how to handle the dead, such as carrying them to the grave or funeral pyre, or touching, slobbering and crying on corpses. It'll be interesting to see if it changes the equation in the Middle East, but I don't know anything about their funeral practices.

I have spoken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
He DID go to a hospital. He DID tell them where he came from. The hospital sent him home with a misdiagnosis.

He was taken to a different hospital after his symptoms worsened. If many people were exposed once he was symptomatic, it's the first hospital's fault more than anyone. I'm not qualified for any kind of medical care and if a person from West Africa vomited in front of me, I would immediately demand he go in quarantine. Don't blame our government. Don't blame him for not seeking treatment. He did. The hospital failed to act appropriately. And it's not beyond reason that he was hustled out the door of the emergency room because he didn't have American health insurance.
And this is why and how it will spread across the U.S. Greed and stupidity, the same reasons we have all other problems. It's a shame, but it's a tradmark of our country.

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Knowingly? How did he knowingly expose himself? Do tell.
He KNEW he was in Liberia with people who had ebola. Some of these people died. I read a report where he was physically touching an infected person, then he just randomly flies to the US and gets a random stomachache. Had I known I was possibly infected with this, I would have immediately volunteered that I was around ebola patients, was experiencing onset of ebola, and demanded I be quarantined.

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Right - and you know why they were served legal papers? Because THOUGH THEY HAD ALREADY BEEN TOLD TO STAY PUT IN THEIR HOUSE, THEY WERE "HAVING CHALLENGES OBEYING THAT DIRECTIVE." What the heck is wrong with these people????????

U.S. Ebola case: Searching for contacts - CNN.com

Also, though this headline says "80 people" the text in the article states that 100 people - so far - are being monitored in Dallas.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:16 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
[/b]

Did it say what measures they're taking to make sure that those quarantined people actually do stay home?

No, the are under house arrest.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
[/b]

They were relying on the honor system till today - when they realized that the family was "challenged when it came to obeying the directive."

But no - I don't think that anyone is actually guarding that home, making sure they stay there, but I could be wrong.

If I lived in that apartment complex, I'd be p____d beyond belief at these morons.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They were relying on the honor system till today - when they realized that the family was "challenged when it came to obeying the directive."

But no - I don't think that anyone is actually guarding that home, making sure they stay there, but I could be wrong.

If I lived in that apartment complex, I'd be p____d beyond belief at these morons.
These fools need to be taken into custody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events