Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:34 AM

21,394 posts, read 10,436,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I heard they stopped taking ER patients and closed that part of the hospital. Is this true? Have you heard this?

Oh, and thanks Hesky, I understand now.
I read that as well. The hospital has put the emergency room on "diversion," which means that ambulances are not currently bringing patients to the ER, though patients already admitted to the hospital are still being treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am not advocating building a bunker...
It would be a great place to store Christmas decorations and such.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:01 AM

Where did the thread go about the second case in Texas?

The Texas nurse's dog won't be euthanized:

Dallas Ebola Patient's Dog Will Be Kept Safe, Mayor Says - ABC News

Old 10-13-2014, 09:05 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,157,029 times
I think they all got merged into this thread.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:07 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,079,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Where did the thread go about the second case in Texas?

The Texas nurse's dog won't be euthanized:

Dallas Ebola Patient's Dog Will Be Kept Safe, Mayor Says - ABC News
This thread seems to have grown a lot overnight, so maybe the mods combined them? I wish they'd tell us when they do that.

I love dogs and have 3 furry babies of my own, but quite honestly I'd be a little leery about having that dog lick me.

Last edited by Lauriedeee; 10-13-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 AM

3,860 posts, read 3,099,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I am starting to suspect that there are some aspects of political correctness that are overshadowing the authorities being able to take the necessary and immediate measures that may really need to be instituted.

I am stuck somewhere between wanting to protect my family and the urge to go out and start buying facemasks etc., and then remembing the rolls of duck tape and plastic tarp I bought once and didn't need...
I'd be seriously concerned if I was employee or someone who regularly comes into contact with employees of airlines working with international flights especially out of West Africa and medical personnel caring for Ebola infected patients.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:19 AM

18,612 posts, read 33,180,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
This should not have been assigned to the local hospital to deal with. Duncan should have been flown to one of the hospitals in Omaha or Atlanta. It was pure hubris on the CDC's part to show that a local hospital could handle this disease, and it backfired on them. The healthcare workers and that hospital (which probably won't even exist in a few months) are going to suffer the most for it.

I am thinking you are right on about this. I'm a person who works at a psych hospital with the basic paper gowns, etc. and anyone we might see with infectious disease might well be psychotic/uncooperative. I am concerned for all of us who work in healthcare.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
I'd be seriously concerned if I was employee or someone who regularly comes into contact with employees of airlines working with international flights especially out of West Africa and medical personnel caring for Ebola infected patients.
You have no idea who comes into regular contact with people who may be high risk. Here I sit in a city that has one of the whitest demographics in the nation and very few uneducated immigrants from anywhere. Last week, my son's high school friend stopped to visit one evening last week. It was great to see him after so many years. The next day my son tells me that his high school friend's coworker is from Liberia. You. Have. No. Way. of. Knowing. Not to instill fear. I'm not worried. But I think it's silly for people to target certain professions when just about anyone we meet could have contact with someone who has contact with a high risk person and never know it.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 AM

18,612 posts, read 33,180,797 times
^^^^This.
My co-workers return from Nigeria regularly from vacation. They live in the west African communities in certain towns outside Boston (which includes many Liberians and visitors). Are people going to avoid me because I work in healthcare or work with west Africans? This kind of profiling won't help anybody, I think.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,035,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Yup. I've seen some nasty stuff working in medicine, but I never feel as filthy as I do coming home from an airport. As far as medical people working with Ebola, we have to learn that all body fluids,not just blood, are kryptonite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events