Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,231,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I doubt that...just typical anti-fast food propaganda. Food is food.

... he says as he shoves his third Big Mac of the day down his gullet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 02:45 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,730,653 times
I said in a previous post that a "few dozen cases of Ebola" in the US had the potential to wreak havoc to our economy.

Look what two cases did to the Dallas hospital's cafeteria: Texas Ebola Hospital Cafeteria Becomes Ghost Town

The article says that since the pronouncement of the nurse's case, the cafeteria is a ghost town.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I said in a previous post that a "few dozen cases of Ebola" in the US had the potential to wreak havoc to our economy.

Look what two cases did to the Dallas hospital's cafeteria: Texas Ebola Hospital Cafeteria Becomes Ghost Town

The article says that since the pronouncement of the nurse's case, the cafeteria is a ghost town.
That's wise since the CDC says one way to avoid ebola is to not go to hospitals treating ebola patients.

A hospital cafeteria does not a crashed economy make.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,002,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a patient in Norway too. I knew the patient in Germany died, but I read there was a transmission in Germany and additional cases. I was hoping to find info on that. I've read the Spanish nurse is doing better and then recently I read she's not doing well at all. I want to find out about the doctor in Atlanta the CDC isn't revealing any info about his progress who has been in the hospital for a month. I want more info than A is better, B is dead, C is bla bla bla. I want to be able to specifically follow the types of treatments each patient receives, and any transmissions that occur. We were doing that previously with different threads but now it's so hard. I'm not the only one either because a few of us post articles with updates sprinkled among the hysterical posts here. It's just really frustrating to find real information here now. It's like a needle in a haystack.
Where did all the other threads go?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:51 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,735,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Wasn't that long when preppers were looked at as fringe,over the top extremest by many who bought into the Government will take care of everything.....
I have to ask this...DO you still have faith that government has your best interest or that government has it's own best interest at heart...I have to say I believe the latter is true..
I'm not so clueless as to think that in the case of stopping Ebola, my interests and the government's interests happily converge. This is so astonishingly obvious that I pity those who fail to see it.

Quote:
I'm not saying that everyone has to embrace a full plunge into prepping,,such as bug out locations but many of the principles are more than reasonable and embrace taking responsibility for ones family.
For those that view Ebola taking off and becoming an epidemic in their community as being highly unlikely I would like to remind them of this....
Highly unlikely things happen every day and when they do, they stop being highly unlikely and become reality.

What's your thoughts....What do you consider reasonable preparedness be it for an epidemic outbreak to a sudden loss of something else that impinges on the necessities of living..
For those who refuse to learn anything at all from history, stop reading now. The rest of you can proceed to note that even the backwards, underfunded, understaffed medical infrastructure in Africa has managed to contain over 90% of Ebola outbreaks that have occurred. Even this year, there has been a single outbreak at a place where three nationa borders converged that broke out of control.

But when that outbreak spread to Senegal? Stopped cold. When it spread to Nigeria? Stopped. The separate (a different strain of Ebola) outbreak that happened in the Congo? Stopped.

I repeat: even the comparatively medieval African medical system stops the vast majority of Ebola outbreaks. So, yeah, your trite little "Well, unlikely things do happen, so that means Ebola could break out in first world countries just like it did in Africa!" nonsense is worse than nonsense, but since I'm being polite I'll leave it at that. An Ebola pandemic (I'd learn what that word means if I were you) in place like, but not limited to, North America and Europe is essentially impossible.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled "Wow! An apocalypse looks like so much fun I'm deluding myself into thinking one is actually likely!" fantasies...

Old 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,896,231 times
Merged into this one.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,002,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a patient in Norway too. I knew the patient in Germany died, but I read there was a transmission in Germany and additional cases. I was hoping to find info on that. I've read the Spanish nurse is doing better and then recently I read she's not doing well at all. I want to find out about the doctor in Atlanta the CDC isn't revealing any info about his progress who has been in the hospital for a month. I want more info than A is better, B is dead, C is bla bla bla. I want to be able to specifically follow the types of treatments each patient receives, and any transmissions that occur. We were doing that previously with different threads but now it's so hard. I'm not the only one either because a few of us post articles with updates sprinkled among the hysterical posts here. It's just really frustrating to find real information here now. It's like a needle in a haystack.
You must be referring to the third ebola patient flown to Emory from West Africa. Emory is citing patient confidentiality re this patient all of a sudden. That was in mid September. Interesting this is so hush hush.

Dr. Sacra was treated in Nebraska so it can't be him.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 PM

36,975 posts, read 40,928,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Vaccines , which are by their very nature , homeopathic , have been the biggest success in medicine outside of antibiotics . Have a nice day .
Vaccines are not "homeopathic". They contain active ingredients. Homeopathic products are just water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Yikes. University of Illinois epidemiologists have said the potential for transmission through aerosol particles is real and those working with ebola patients should be wearing respirators. They wore respirators at Emory by the way.
You have to define what you mean by "respirators". If you mean a self contained biohazard suit, no. There are masks called "respirators", but they look like this:

3M 8210 Industrial Respirator S-5688 - Uline

DH has allergies, so he bought some to use when working outside.

The doctor who treated Brantly and Writebol said they did it using standard infection control garb and procedures, though I suspect they also used Doctors Without Borders technique for removing PPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
What makes it less likely to spread than Norovirus?
Norovirus victims are not isolated and quarantined and contacts are not traced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Yes, I read about him. He was a U.N. health worker in an Ebola zone.

My thought, if people working in Biohazard 4 Ebola research wear hazmat suits and all the rest, why is OK for frontline healthcare workers to wear ordinary paper gowns, goggles, regular gloves, etc? Why don't those handling far less virus wear the same level of protection if it's so adequate?
Because it is impractical and not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i wonder if people from the Congo have natural antibodies to Ebola.
I wonder how they were able to contain their outbreaks,even the one that is going on now (that you hear zip about)
There is no such thing as "natural antibodies." You have to be exposed to the virus to make antibodies. Some people may have genes that protect them from getting sick, but that would not protect them from catching the virus. In some areas, not just Congo, up to a third of the population has evidence of antibodies with no history of an Ebola like sickness.

You can easily get an update on the Congo outbreak. As of Oct 8, 70 cases and 43 deaths. the events in the US are just considered more newsworthy for the audience here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
An African doctor interview said that. He himself had Ebola, survived, and contiues to treat Ebola patients. Hasn't gotten disease again. He also said there are many other medical staff there who have had it or are caring for the sick, but are not coming down with it.

Antibodies from having the actual disease or being exposed to it, but a lot of people here don't trust that manner of immunity.
Who does not "trust" such antibodies? I suspect given the choice of developing antibodies by having to have Ebola or by taking a vaccine for it, the African doctor would have gladly chosen the vaccine had the option existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but I am wondering why there is so much secrecy about the unnamed patient in Atlanta. We have heard every detail about Dr. Brantley, the woman aid worker, Thomas Duncan and now Nina Pham. Why nothing about the unidentified patient being treated since September 9? I've scoured the internet and found so little it is puzzling. What gives?
As others have said, patients deserve their privacy. We really have no right to any info about that patient at all without his or her permission, even the patient's location.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no evidence that Ebola is spread by mosquitoes, and the animals in which it occurs just don't live in the US, except in zoos.

Q&As on Transmission | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

"There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys and apes) have shown the ability to spread and become infected with Ebola virus."
Seems dogs can catch it, not show signs and potential infect others with it though waste. This is new territory and we don't really know what animals can or cannot spread it in the U.S. They say they can try and test the dogs for it, but, how long they have to wait to test is unknown. So, if a mosquito bites an infected dog, and then a person within close range I don't see how it won't infect them.

If antelope can get it in Africa, then what about our cattle? Thousands in close range to each other, it could be horrid.

There are no studies on these issues, so it's not only primates who can catch and spread Ebola. There are a lot of holes we've left open to study, and now that America has Ebola, we better get to work because we know nothing.
They have looked for virus inside mosquitoes and mosquitoes do not carry it.

The fact that an animal shows antibodies to the virus does not mean it can spread it. Dogs make antibodies, they do not get sick, and there are no cases of dog to human transmission, by their "waste" or otherwise.

By the way, they have cattle in Africa, too.

Far more than "nothing" is known about Ebola.

Quote:
I think the next testing ground for the new vaccine will be on them for sure. As usual there is a secret larger picture we can not see at the moment.
The next testing ground will be health care workers taking care of Ebola patients in Africa.

Quote:
If travel was restricted he wouldn't have been here.
Duncan subverted the restrictions. He still came here.

Quote:

We have no studies about how it can spread in America. Through cattle, pets, birds, we have no idea. Is it possible, yes. It's like kids playing with matches in a garage full of gasoline.
They have cattle, pets, and birds in Africa, too. Believe it or not, researchers have been testing all sorts of critters since 1976 looking for the animal which can carry Ebola and transmit it without getting sick. They have not yet found one.

Quote:
I am basing my heavy handed dramatics on experts in Africa who have worked with it for years and years and cannot stop it's spread to thousands of people regardless of how much they try to educate the public. Workers who predicted this, who asked for aid, who were told no, your paranoid.
The education effort in Africa has been hampered by cultural barriers that do not exist in the US. Those asking for aid were not told they were "paranoid," the rest of the world just delayed too long in realizing how bad the situation was and actually providing that aid. in addition, supplies sent to Sierra Leone became a political football and sat on the docks while people died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I think Nina Pham's parents confirmed to the media that it was their daughter who was infected. There is probably a language issue and they may have inadvertently confirmed that it was her. The media is quite adept at information gathering, that is their job but I hope they didn't take advantage of her parents to get the information.
The media had to get her name before they could get her parents' names, I suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Thank you. It's difficult for someone outside of the health care realm to understand the reality of something like Ebola. Our hospitals are notoriously understaffed and are currently over whelmed with that crazy virus killing kids. Let something like the grand daddy of all viruses like Ebola take hold and you will see people leaving health care left and right. Including me.
I presume you are referring to the enterovirus D68. It is a significant concern, but I've seen no reports that it is overwhelming ERs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Unfortunately, rats and fleas don't respect borders.

That the plague was as wide spread and deadly as it was without the kind of transcontinental traffic we have today is in and of itself phenomenal.
There is no evidence Ebola is spread by rats and fleas. One research study even checked a bedbug for it.

Rats and fleas traveled quite easily despite the lack of our modern transportation system, just more slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'll admit that that is an impressive body of links you've put together for my edification. I am still not impressed. None of this stuff is ready to go. It is a term paper handed in two hours past the deadline with the ink still wet and half of the information is copied verbatim from Wikipedia. Africa does not have months for the first batches of vaccine to be commercially available.

When did we decide that it made more sense to spend billions to vaccinate healthy people against a disease that they might never ever get than to CURE someone who is going to DIE unless they are CURED. Pronto!... ... Introducing "Ebotame", the amazing new drug that keeps your Ebola symptoms under control so you can do important things like earn a living.

Even in the face of one of the biggest health crisies in recent memory no one seems to be able to think outside of the box and thus the status quo of hospitalization and Big Pharma preparations is still being called in to face down Ebola. Ain't workin', we are losing West Africa. Is anyone else facing that grim fact or am I the only one who doesn't think medicine and/or the personnel to administer it will arrive in time to keep this from going on record as one of the worst epidemics in recent history.
No one will be getting Ebola vaccine who is not at risk to get it. For you to continue to say we cannot make a vaccine when the vaccine actually exists and is being tested on humans is mind boggling.

We do not have to have a cure for Ebola. We just have to have ways to keep patients alive while they recover from it. Nothing ever cured any of the patients who survived Ebola. They were just kept alive while their own immune systems did it.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 PM

575 posts, read 610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
There is a man here who survived Ebola. They are now giving the nurse with Ebola injections of the survivor's blood.
Yes, the man was at Emroy in Atlanta. The patient in Nebraska is also received a transfusion with the survivor's blood as did another survivor in Atlanta. Duncan also would have received blood from the survivor, but the blood types were incompatible.

The donor and the other survivor in Atlanta are also the last patients to receive ZMapp before the supply ran out.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,730,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's true today in America
But will it be true in a year?

In Liberia, there will be 1000 new cases per week by the end of the year. 700 will die. Per week. In December.
And it is doubling every 3 weeks.

You want to see a "freak out"? Wait until Ebola appears on a college campus.

The flu of 1918 killed 500,000 American in one summer. Millions, worldwide.

Maybe we ain't scared enough.....
Your numbers are a bit off.

When the first wave of Spanish Flu hit Fort Riley, Kansas in March 1918, folks weren't too concerned, after all, 1126 soldiers were sickened but only 46 died. By the time the second wave hit in Fall of 1918, it was far more lethal.

By the time the third wave hit in early 1919, 50 million people were dead, or about 5% of the earth's population.

Three waves. Three mutations. Five percent of the world - DEAD - all from a virus.

"The Spanish Flu killed more people in one year than the Black Plague killed in a century. It killed more people in 24 weeks than AIDS has killed in 24 years" (The Great Influenza; The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, by John M. Barry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events