Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Good grief.

This conversation is so tiresome.

Passports.

There those cute little booklets that tell folks where you've traveled and where you're from?

We should not be allowing people into the US that have been in Ebola-ridden countries in the last 60 days. It really is THAT simple.

O.K. now what about all the people you worry so much about them coming in contact with on the airplane and once they get to Europe? According to all you people who can't accept what the CDC says about how Ebola is spread, I guess we ought to be worried sick about them too right? We just can't be too sure and too safe now can we?

You see, if we listen to the "loons" than anyone flying on a plane anywhere with someone on board who has Ebola cannot be allowed into this country. Nor, can anyone that Ebola patient might come into contact with while they are in Europe. We are repeatedly told that Ebola is spread far more easily than our public health authorities says it is. So, we should do all that to err on the side of caution right? Logically, the only solution, according to you, would be to ban all travel, from any country where there has been an Ebola patient.

Your ideas are unworkable.

Last edited by markg91359; 10-15-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 07:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The blame here lies squarely with the hospital administration and whomever is in charge of infectious protocol. Having the nurses care for other patients simultaneously stinks of budgetary constraints, that would have been an administrative decision.
I agree. What is being described is truly the hospital's fault. Now that the CDC is sending specialized teams to any hospital that gets an ebola patient, I think other hospitals will be forced to follow appropriate protocol. I'm sure they're all scrambling. No other hospital wants the publicity that Texas Health Presbyterian is getting.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Amen to that, brother.

Last night, I was thinking it was about time for me to abandon this forum because whenever I say anything that isn't pollyanish in nature, I'm chastised and criticized as a fear monger and a fool.

My #1 point is that WE DON'T KNOW everything there is to know about Ebola. We don't know if it has the capacity to mutate. We don't know the enemy, so how we can we possibly speak in absolutes? How can anyone continue to insist that this isn't a viable threat with a catastrophic potential?

The government is screeching that we mustn't be afraid? Well, a little fear can be a good thing.
I don't think you're a fool. We still have time to deal with this, only our government response is not inspiring any confidence in me.

The nurses complain, but why on earth did they agree to go in there and treat him without taping gloves to suits or insisting on the full protective gear? Could it be that the CDC and Obama were in full "calming" mode at that time, stating how hard it was to catch Ebola? Or the CDC giving the bare minimum of instructions to the hospital staff?

The hospital should not have been dealing with Patient Zero in the first place! It's so obvious. I continue to believe they were basically forced to it by the CDC to prove that a local hospital could deal with it, and I'm sure the administrators at the hospital were eager to show they could deal with it to clean up their reputation after the ER doctor sent Duncan home in the first place. Too bad that with minimal training and obviously a lack of respect for the virulence of a level 4 biohazard, they only made things worse. That hospital is toast.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If I lived in Dallas, I wouldn't go to Texas Health Presbyterian for decades after ebola scare is over. It seems utterly incompetent now. Heck, the Spanish hospital only had one transmission, and Spain's healthcare doesn't compare to the US.

That's a good plan and totally worth it early into the spread. They can stop it this way. If they don't stop it, then it will financially impossible to do it. The US could end up like Liberia where patients are just stored somewhere with minimal care. Of course, it's not likely but there can be a tipping point if it gets out of control.

Was she really only a nurse for two months?!?!?!

Yes, it is. I wish you could create your own travel-ban thread so the rest of the discussions don't get lost in the noise.

The Spanish hospital wasn't equipped and only had one transmission. I'll bet the hospitals in other countries weren't Level 4 and they didn't have transmissions.
Why don't you start a thread that says NO TRAVEL BAN DISCUSSION HERE, because a lot of us think travel bans or really travel limitations with forced quarantine are a huge part of this discussion. We're still at a point where it could be useful.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
My #1 point is that WE DON'T KNOW everything there is to know about Ebola.
True.

Quote:
We don't know if it has the capacity to mutate.
Not true. We do know it has the capacity to mutate. But by mutate we do NOT mean it has the capacity to mutate to an airborne virus, that has never, ever happened before, why would it happen now?

Last edited by Zimbochick; 10-15-2014 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I should probably by some more extensions. Normally I just get my husband to kill them, though it's very inconvenient if he's already asleep.
totally off topic, but do you have a pool? The extension poles with the leaf catchers make great bug catchers for high ceilings.

carry on..

Old 10-15-2014, 07:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
I do find it pretty ironic that most of the people calling for travel bans are essentially asking for stricter profiling, and those are, generally speaking, the people most inclined to squeal about government intrusion in their own lives. I guess pushing for profiling for thee is okay, just not for me.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:18 AM

13,409 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't think you're a fool. We still have time to deal with this, only our government response is not inspiring any confidence in me.

The nurses complain, but why on earth did they agree to go in there and treat him without taping gloves to suits or insisting on the full protective gear? Could it be that the CDC and Obama were in full "calming" mode at that time, stating how hard it was to catch Ebola? Or the CDC giving the bare minimum of instructions to the hospital staff?

The hospital should not have been dealing with Patient Zero in the first place! It's so obvious. I continue to believe they were basically forced to it by the CDC to prove that a local hospital could deal with it, and I'm sure the administrators at the hospital were eager to show they could deal with it to clean up their reputation after the ER doctor sent Duncan home in the first place. Too bad that with minimal training and obviously a lack of respect for the virulence of a level 4 biohazard, they only made things worse. That hospital is toast.
The hospital is a private non profit enterprise. It isn't run by the government. It's a faith based group that owns interests in several medical facilities across the area. The hospital board is ultimately responsible for their policies in handling dangerous situations. Which would include biohazards, natural disasters, disgruntled employees, disgruntled families, and terrorist attacks. They are ultimately responsible for the safety and well being of their employees and patients, no matter what the situation.

There is major resistance over government regulation of private enterprise in this country. Especially in a state like Texas. (Not totally unfounded.) You can't have your cake and eat it.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
True.

Not true. We do know it has the capacity to mutate. But by mutate we do NOT mean it has the capacity to mutatee to an airborne virus, that has never, ever happened before, why would it happen now?
It doesn't have the capacity to turn airborne, but it is droplet-borne. I wouldn't want to be in the same room with an Ebola patient without a mask. And considering most of these nurses did have masks and gloves, and presumably washed their hands frequently, it obviously only takes a tiny amount of particulates to spread this virus. Luckily it seems that it's most contagious later in the progression of the disease. Otherwise, we'd be seeing the EMTs and Louise Troh's family having more problems.

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-15-2014 at 07:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 07:30 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If I lived in Dallas, I wouldn't go to Texas Health Presbyterian for decades after ebola scare is over. It seems utterly incompetent now. Heck, the Spanish hospital only had one transmission, and Spain's healthcare doesn't compare to the US.

That's a good plan and totally worth it early into the spread. They can stop it this way. If they don't stop it, then it will financially impossible to do it. The US could end up like Liberia where patients are just stored somewhere with minimal care. Of course, it's not likely but there can be a tipping point if it gets out of control.

Was she really only a nurse for two months?!?!?!

Yes, it is. I wish you could create your own travel-ban thread so the rest of the discussions don't get lost in the noise.

The Spanish hospital wasn't equipped and only had one transmission. I'll bet the hospitals in other countries weren't Level 4 and they didn't have transmissions.
TX Presbyterian has always had a good reputation. My grandson was born there last year with excellent care being given to both mother and baby. They clearly weren't prepared for an outbreak of Ebola, and that would probably have been the case with most hospitals in the US. I shudder to think what would have happened if Duncan showed up at an underfunded rural hospital.

Nina Pham graduated from nursing school in 2010. She had received certification for critical care 2 months ago. She has been nursing for 4 years.

"Noise" being any opinion that you do not share? Forum is open to all, whether you agree with their view or not. IMO it is better to hear what a wide variety of people think, or read links they provide than having the forum dominated by a few "experts".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events