Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:19 AM

21,394 posts, read 10,442,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Oh please. A health care professional knows about Ebola but not cognizant of the primary source countries?

Here come the excuses.
Believe me, I'm not excusing the nurse. But honestly we don't know what she heard, how attentive she was when he was telling her he didn't have a social security card and his country of origin, or if she even understood him when he spoke. I still think she should have said something, and the doctor isn't off the hook either. You have a man with an African accent, presenting symptoms of the early stages of Ebola after weeks of training for this very thing, and you don't think to ask if he's been to Africa recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,507,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
They need to restrict immigration and tourists from Africa from entering the USA. And not allow people from here to visit Africa and return to the USA. Easy as that wait for this thing to blow over.
Africa is a big place, are you seriously suggesting restrictions from the entire continent, or just countries directly affected by Ebola?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:24 AM

Just a reminder that you need direct contact to catch Ebola.

Transmission | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,871,805 times
I do not get the defense of the POS Ebola patient that has caused so much pain and suffering by his failure to make a full disclosure to healthcare personnel. It is a freaking ER. The admitting personnel aren't there to play 20 questions!

An admission of close contact with not one but two Ebola fatalities would have been a game changer. The thickest of the thick, the most over tired of the over tired would get it, and NONE of this would have happened. I never fail to be surprised at the contrarian current in the C-D community. Exemplary human beings who happen to be black are routinely castigated for the outstanding performance of their art or craft and I've come to expect that as the status quo. Here we have a bonafide example of someone of African ancestry acting like a total ass and he is defended vigorously by those who would rather lambast the healthcare system.

As much as it warms my heart to see a black man getting the benefit of the doubt for once on City-Data. This is not the one who deserves it!! Might I suggest some of you review your opinions of Obama and how much negative verbiage you throw his way. You're lucky to have him. He is doing the job of POTUS at least as well as it ever has been done and no worse than that.

Sadly I don't see Ebola doing much for black/white relations going forward. I am often mistaken for African, even by Africans. When and if this thing really gets rolling and non-Africans begin to fall as collateral damage there is going to be real disconnect, real fear and loathing and open hostility along racial lines. America didn't need this.

H

Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Believe me, I'm not excusing the nurse. But honestly we don't know what she heard, how attentive she was when he was telling her he didn't have a social security card and his country of origin, or if she even understood him when he spoke. I still think she should have said something, and the doctor isn't off the hook either. You have a man with an African accent, presenting symptoms of the early stages of Ebola after weeks of training for this very thing, and you don't think to ask if he's been to Africa recently?
I agree with this but apparently the nurse DID ask. We don't yet know where the chain of communication broke down - we don't know if she input this information and the doctor overlooked it or what. Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the situation.

It's not that unusual in that part of Dallas to see a patient with an African or other foreign accent - that area is highly populated with immigrants from all over the world, and in fact there's a large Liberian community in Dallas.

There's also a large West African community right in my town, less than 100 miles from Dallas. I am sure they are stressed to the max over all this.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,902,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Just a reminder that you need direct contact to catch Ebola.

Transmission | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC
That's the assertion anyway.

I really, really hesitate to post this and I do so knowing there is no author attached and I have no idea about "SCG" as a news source (don't know what the acronym stands for), but the references within the article seem credible and traceable. It's about the airborne aspect. And if any of this is true, there is indeed cause for concern and action.

Google: SCG Ebola - What You're Not Being Told

Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,902,787 times
Doctors Without Borders - ebola

Ebola | MSF USA

Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM

21,394 posts, read 10,442,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree with this but apparently the nurse DID ask. We don't yet know where the chain of communication broke down - we don't know if she input this information and the doctor overlooked it or what. Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the situation.

It's not that unusual in that part of Dallas to see a patient with an African or other foreign accent - that area is highly populated with immigrants from all over the world, and in fact there's a large Liberian community in Dallas.

There's also a large West African community right in my town, less than 100 miles from Dallas. I am sure they are stressed to the max over all this.
I live in Houston. Believe me, I know about large populations of people from other countries. It would be interesting to find out how many of them go to school with my children. Quite a few are from West African countries. To say I'm concerned is an understatement.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM

26,637 posts, read 28,442,766 times
I think if the man KNEW for sure or strongly suspected that he had Ebola when he went to the ER, he would have told them and he would have insisted on hospitalization. He would have wanted treatment if he knew he had it.

He was either in denial and scared or he simply had no idea and thought it was just a simple stomach upset. If the ER personnel reassured him that the antibiotics would cure him and he could go home and he would be fine, then it was human nature to believe them and do as he was told. The hospital didn't seem to care that he was a sick person from Liberia so he may have taken that as a sign to not worry. What a relief!

I think he went to the ER for a diagnosis. If he had KNOWN that he had Ebola he would have insisted that they keep him there and treat him, not send him home.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM

Here's what we know, the patient had "relations" with an infected woman in Liberia, then hopped on a plane to visit his girlfriend in Texas. Having worked in an ER this is my totally speculative guess as to what happened in the ER, the guy walks in with his girlfriend, is asked "Did you have intimate contact with anyone infected with Ebola?", he says "Ummmmmm no, but there were infected people, you know, around me, waffle, waffle, waffle". People lie all the time about stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events