Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:13 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
Problem is they let people who have come into contact with Ebola patients use the honor system to watch themselves.

We all know the result of an honor system.
I don't believe they've even told them anything aside from "take your temperature for 21 days". There's been no mention of them being told to avoid travel. Stupid beyond belief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 11:13 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurito View Post
I'm traveling from Cleveland to Dallas Halloween weekend, should I be worried? Anything from the airport portion of the trip to being in Dallas for a weekend.
I have a few flights coming up, too and I'm thinking about canceling one (into Texas).

It is nerve-wracking. What bothers me is that, 1) The government isn't being forthright, and 2) They're still letting people from West Africa come into the country, and 3) The smart people are still arguing about how contagious this disease really is.

I know it's politically incorrect to be a vocal Christian these days, but I intend to spend a lot of time focusing on the 91st Psalm and seek God's will for my life.

Last edited by RosemaryT; 10-15-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 11:15 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Africa not our problem let nature sort it out.
If Africa were not our problem, Dallas would not have a problem now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
My #1 point is that WE DON'T KNOW everything there is to know about Ebola. We don't know if it has the capacity to mutate. We don't know the enemy, so how we can we possibly speak in absolutes? How can anyone continue to insist that this isn't a viable threat with a catastrophic potential?
Sure, we don't know everything, but we do know enough to be able to treat Ebola safely. It's a matter of training people to do so and making them understand there is no margin for error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't think you're a fool. We still have time to deal with this, only our government response is not inspiring any confidence in me.

The nurses complain, but why on earth did they agree to go in there and treat him without taping gloves to suits or insisting on the full protective gear? Could it be that the CDC and Obama were in full "calming" mode at that time, stating how hard it was to catch Ebola? Or the CDC giving the bare minimum of instructions to the hospital staff?

The hospital should not have been dealing with Patient Zero in the first place! It's so obvious. I continue to believe they were basically forced to it by the CDC to prove that a local hospital could deal with it, and I'm sure the administrators at the hospital were eager to show they could deal with it to clean up their reputation after the ER doctor sent Duncan home in the first place. Too bad that with minimal training and obviously a lack of respect for the virulence of a level 4 biohazard, they only made things worse. That hospital is toast.
As has been pointed out, the Dallas hospital flunked, but every hospital has to be able to take care of a patient with an infectious disease. The stakes are just very high with Ebola if you do not do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So far we have shown we can't contain Ebola in America.
So far Emory has done it with no secondary infections, so it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I agree that hazmat suits are probably the best protection against this virus, even though they look a little claustrophobic inducing. I wonder if personnel never having worn this would have issues wearing something like a hazmat suit where you know you can not just take it off whenever you like and have to go through protocols with removing it. It would be a part of their job, but I don't think a lot of the nurses and doctors thought they would ever have to wear a hazmat suit to treat a patient. I wonder if they would have the right to say they are unable to wear one and therefore unable to treat the patient.
The Emory folks wear them up to about four hours, it seems. The practicality is you are going to eventually have to take it all off to go to the bathroom. The other issue is fatigue. Emory insists that their team get adequate rest. Fatigue breeds mistakes.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
CDC says second nurse diagnosed with Ebola flew from Cleveland to Dallas the day before she reported symptoms | Dallas Morning News

Old 10-15-2014, 11:18 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You are joking, right? How much do you think it costs to treat a single Ebola patient?

Conservative estimates are that Duncan's care cost $500,000! And that was not using the protocols that should have been in place, if they were the cost would be much higher.

Bill for Ebola Adds Up as Care Costs $1,000 an Hour - Bloomberg
Your data, and thank you for it, backs up my thoughts exactly. No one is going to aggressively seek a remedy for this virus until it makes money-sense to do so. Most of the folks in West africa that have this disease die because of lack of care/facilities, and that's because insurance companies won't take the risk on the poor. Classic supply/demand. There is plenty of humans to cover in those places, and lives to be saved, but no money to be made. So, no remedy. Let them die, says American/Western business.

once it comes to the US and Britain, and a way to cure it is found, and insurance companies will bill for it, WA-LA! You will have your remedy.

AIDS is a great comparison. Millions of people with that disease live for many, many years, in relative health otherwise, if they can afford the mix of drugs needed to support their lives. If they can't afford it, and have no insurance, they go downhill real fast.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Default Honor System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
Problem is they let people who have come into contact with Ebola patients use the honor system to watch themselves.

We all know the result of an honor system.
Case in point: Nancy Snydermann UNBELIEVABLE

Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I
As has been pointed out, the Dallas hospital flunked, but every hospital has to be able to take care of a patient with an infectious disease. The stakes are just very high with Ebola if you do not do it right.
I'm sure the Dallas hospital isn't as bad as it gets. Think of some rural hospital in middle of nowhere small-town America somewhere. And how many of these there are, compared to the only four that have some hope of treating this thing properly

And again, ladies and gentlemen, this is precisely why the focus should've been on preventing cases here in the first place - not bragging about how "we can handle this". Stupid stupid stupid

Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 AM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I wonder if hospitals look at who should be assigned ebola cases. Do they prefer younger, single members of of staff rather than ones that are married and with families? The infected nurse was young and single and maybe the second nurse, too. Maybe, they volunteer like they do on dangerous missions in wars - sometimes the younger single soldiers volunteer to go in on a dangerous mission in place of a another soldier with a family.
That would cause an uproar, sorry but as a nurse that's a few years older than the 1st infected nurse, I am not taking care of these patients repeatedly while the older nurses don't have to worry about dipping their hands in this. I could also say that the older nurses have more experience and should be the nurses taking care of these patients with all their expertise and wisdom. I know for a fact that none of the nurses where I work would volunteer to care for an Ebola patient. If we had the proper garb, we would do it but there would not be a competition to do so.

As for assigning which nurse gets what patient, in my ICU, the majority of our transfers and admissions are done during the night shift. So let's say I am assigned 2 patients at the beginning of the shift and the fellow/attending decides to transfer one out, I am left with an open bed that is ready to take an admission - any admission. If there are more than one open bed, then we go by who's turn it is to admit.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The Steelers played Cleveland in Cleveland that weekend. I hope that's not the reason she went to Cleveland. The cities are only two hours away from each other so there would be many fans from both cities.

I thought about that. I also know a person in my office that have Browns season tickets and was at the game!

Old 10-15-2014, 11:22 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Default Crazy

I don't understand the mentality of people who, more than the general public, should know better and they go and do something like that! Exposing a plane full of people and who knows how many other people: the taxi driver that drove her to the airport, the barista that took her order for a latte....and on and on... And they go home to their families...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events