Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:23 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

The fact a second person has Ebola from taking care of Duncan does not speak well for the hospital procedures. I am sure there will be a few more that occur in the next few days. Absolutely unbelievable this is happening. So many irresponsible people think they are immune and risking thousands of lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 11:23 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Here we go.

Let's be clear - Ebola wouldn't have entered Texas if this administration wasn't so determined to keep travelers from infected countries coming into the US.
This. Simple as that.

Two young women would not be staring death in the face right now, and who knows how many more potentially infected.
Could.have.been.prevented.
If these nurses die, their blood is on the hands of the administration and CDC who refused to take a single step of action.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM

483 posts, read 854,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The Emory folks wear them up to about four hours, it seems. The practicality is you are going to eventually have to take it all off to go to the bathroom. The other issue is fatigue. Emory insists that their team get adequate rest. Fatigue breeds mistakes.
Emory is also adequately staffed on that unit. So, if I need a break, there's another nurse there it seems without an assignment that can take over for a bit while the first nurse takes care of themselves. So in essence, the ebola patient is staffed at 2:1 (2 nurses for 1 patient), that is not going to happen anywhere else, although it should when treating these patients.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
The CDC is obviously lying, it seems Ebola is just as easy to catch as the common cold.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The day before she REPORTED symptoms. That means she may had symptom before she actually reported them, right?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
No.
that is the exact answer to most of the questions that are being asked. Imagine if this pops up in rural America sometime? So far, only in large metro like Dallas. What if it happens in a small farming community in Alabama, where health standards suck, and people don't want to believe, for social stigma?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:29 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
You know what, while this might seem silly I can't say I blame them. Now all we really need is to write a letter like that to everyone else holding a US visa from these countries
It's not "racism", it's not wanting to let in a deadly disease . People are just lumping the two together for dramatic effect.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The US looks like idiots to the world. The terrorists are probably trying think of way to do bio-chemical warfare on us now. It doesn't need to be ebola. We've proven they can do anything because our healthcare system is inept.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:31 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Was this person even quarantined? I thought the people in quarantine were those who were first exposed to Mr. Duncan before it became known that he had Ebola. The first nurse wasn't under quarantine, was she? She had taken care of Mr. Duncan when he was very ill and it's the same with this person. Since they wore protective gear maybe it was assumed that they were safe.

To me, what this is saying is that some organization like the CDC needs to take the helm and put themselves in charge, not leave it up to individual hospitals to dole out protocol and quarantines at random. The individual hospitals are not able to deal with this and if no one knew if before, they must know it by now.
According to MSN news: The nurses said the hospital lacked protocols to deal with an Ebola patient, offered no advance training and provided them with insufficient gear, including non-impermeable gowns, gloves with no taping around wrists and suits that left their necks exposed.

Basic principles of infection control were violated by both the hospital's Infectious Disease Department and CDC officials, the nurses said, with no one picking up hazardous waste "as it piled to the ceiling." "The nurses strongly feel unsupported, unprepared, lied to, and deserted to handle the situation on their own," the statement said.

Second Texas nurse with Ebola had traveled by plane

I saw on the news that even in Liberia they do a clorox spray down which the US does not perform. Removing the protective gear could get real nasty.

This new case, nurse Amber Vinson, is being airlifted to Emory University Hospital in Georgia. I know our local hospital is not prepared for Ebola. Heck, you take your life in your own hands if you enter our locals.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I agree that hazmat suits are probably the best protection against this virus, even though they look a little claustrophobic inducing. I wonder if personnel never having worn this would have issues wearing something like a hazmat suit where you know you can not just take it off whenever you like and have to go through protocols with removing it. It would be a part of their job, but I don't think a lot of the nurses and doctors thought they would ever have to wear a hazmat suit to treat a patient. I wonder if they would have the right to say they are unable to wear one and therefore unable to treat the patient.

Imho, the trouble with the CDC gowns is they don't cover the neck. I see neck skin showing in some photos. I also think there should be built in gloves at the end of the sleeve, then double glove over that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events