Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's just it. The proper precautions were not taken.
Even so, I doubt the nurses were hugging and kissing the guy yet they still caught it during the ~2 hour they were around him (assuming 12 hour shift and the time they probably spend treating others or doing other things). This seems to indicate that's it's pretty easy to spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
1) We have no idea why the 2nd nurse flew (family emergency, etc), and we have no idea if she had the consent of the monitoring team, we just have conjecture.

2) We have no idea the physical condition of nurse 1 or 2. The reason for the transfer may well be due to differences in medical condition. We don't know.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Ummm... no it's not. Cleveland and Akron are 31 miles apart. Pittsburgh and Akron are 110 miles apart.
You misread. I was talking about the distance of Cleveland and Akron from Pittsburgh, not from each other. I live in Pittsburgh. Akron is closer to Pittsburgh than Cleveland is to Pittsburgh.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Even so, I doubt the nurses were hugging and kissing the guy yet they still caught it during the ~2 hour they were around him (assuming 12 hour shift and the time they probably spend treating others or doing other things). This seems to indicate that's it's pretty easy to spread.
But, again, they were not using precautions specified for a Level 4 biohazard. At the very least the hospital should have been equipped for a Level 3 biohazard, which they have probably had there in the past, Rabies, West Nile, SARS, etc., but looking at the equipment they were using, they did not even meet Level 3 requirements.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:56 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe if those two nurses had been overcautious they would not now be very sick. Tell me, what is the harm in being absolutely paranoid about this contagion? Everytime someone comes down with it their entire block is thrown into turmoil. Their apartment complex has to be vacated and their unit decontaminated to the tune of $100K. How long till this starts to have an effect on the treasury? Then there is the cost of their hospitalization at American health care rates. It won't take many cases at $500K to $1M each to flatline state budgets.
EXACTLY!! Sometimes it's WORTH IT to be overcautious!! You don't get into an accident every time you drive but you still wear your seatbelt every time, right? Here you're dealing with something that has potential to be devastating if it gets out of hand - and all you lose by taking some EXTRA, yes maybe even unnecessary precautions, is some money and some people being disgruntled because they have to cancel a flight. This, as opposed to a disease outbreak that may cost many lives and billions of dollars! Does that not make sense?? It's like they're afraid of taking a single action, I don't get it!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You know what? We don't know that. We don't really know anything at all anymore for certain. About all that can be said is that long distance aerosol transmission is unlikely. I just don't understand how, after all that you must have seen and heard in the last couple of weeks that you can still be glibly handing out this kind of misinformation! Maybe if those two nurses had been overcautious they would not now be very sick. Tell me, what is the harm in being absolutely paranoid about this contagion? Everytime someone comes down with it their entire block is thrown into turmoil. Their apartment complex has to be vacated and their unit decontaminated to the tune of $100K. How long till this starts to have an effect on the treasury? Then there is the cost of their hospitalization at American health care rates. It won't take many cases at $500K to $1M each to flatline state budgets.
The current cases do nothing to change the evidence about the way Ebola is transmitted. Both nurses had close contact with a very sick Ebola patient. One was involved with his hemodialysis.

There are other conditions that are very expensive to treat, including extreme prematurity.

Both nurses are employed. It's their insurance companies that will be paying for their care.

Paranoia is not helpful. Hospitals knowing what to do will be.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
I wonder who's going to get these hazmat suits..

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-1...its-gives-clue

Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I don't know if you are male or female, but haven't you ever been to a bathroom where someone "missed" and left a few droplets on a toilet? A person who is a little preoccupied may not notice and sit down.... Boom: bodily fluid contact!
"If you sprinkle when you tinkle,
Be a sweetie and wipe the seatie."

Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
In all seriousness, I've read that in these West African "hot spots," the hugging and kissing of the newly dead is a big part of the problem.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Like I said upthread, if anyone from that plane gets sick, all bets are off. This is a highly unfortunate, but yet perfect, way to experimentally test whether the virus can be transmitted by someone who is showing a low-grade fever (and is one day away from testing positive). They've probably never had such a perfect case study with one identifiable patient in an enclosed space before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events