Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:26 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why are we still letting people come here from African countries without quarantining them for a few weeks? I know it sounds extreme, but so is Ebola.
Due process? Unlawful detention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:28 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Any person that visited Africa the past few months should have gotten checked out especially after the Ebola epidemic starting making the news.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why are we still letting people come here from African countries without quarantining them for a few weeks? I know it sounds extreme, but so is Ebola.
If you have personal direct knowledge of who the patient is please share that info with us.

For all we know this could very well be a white American citizen, an executive of some international corp who was in the region for business who had no reason to believe that s/he was exposed.

I have a friend whos daughter is doing a college semester abroad in Cape Town, SA, two thousand miles away, should she be placed in quarantine when she is finished with her semester in early December? If so, where? Who will cover the cost of the 21 day quarantine? Should she be quarantined even if by that time there are NO laboratory confirmed cases in SA?

How about if there were to be a single confirmed case in Afghanistan? Would you quarantine all the troops from returning?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
What a cluster#%@&!

Old 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
I think anyone entering the US from West Africa should be quarantined to make sure they were not unknowingly exposed. Why is this not just common sense?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post

I'd laugh if this weren't a serious subject.

Due process? Unlawful detention? Someone is unaware that people can be rounded up and quarantined when certain health issues arise. Ebola would be one of them.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:16 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:
Some day there'll be a superbug come along and it will wipe out humanity because of due process and unlawful detention.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:16 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
What a cluster#%@&!
One case; caught early; American victims returning from Africa are apparently holding on; and life goes on in those countries where Ebola presents a more serious threat.

Mutations in diseases and other health threats are nothing new, and the mechanisms for addressing them have been in place for many years -- and tested from time to time.

But selling panic via the news media to that portion of the public with a limited knowledge of medicine and technology and too much trust in media is an industry; and the people running that industry have their own agenda.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-30-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 04:23 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
If you have personal direct knowledge of who the patient is please share that info with us.

For all we know this could very well be a white American citizen......

I have a friend whos daughter is doing a college semester abroad in Cape Town, SA, two thousand miles away, should she be placed in quarantine when she is finished with her semester in early December?
There is no need to bring race into this. I would not rule out the possibility of a no travel or quarantine from the harder hit countries. Anywho, according to local news, the patient was asymptomatic on the airplane. He/she traveled from Liberia.

Last edited by elan; 09-30-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 05:02 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

For all we know this could very well be a white American citizen, an executive of some international corp who was in the region for business who had no reason to believe that s/he was exposed.

I have a friend whos daughter is doing a college semester abroad in Cape Town, SA, two thousand miles away, should she be placed in quarantine when she is finished with her semester in early December? If so, where? Who will cover the cost of the 21 day quarantine? Should she be quarantined even if by that time there are NO laboratory confirmed cases in SA?

How about if there were to be a single confirmed case in Afghanistan? Would you quarantine all the troops from returning?
The patient was in Liberia in the area of the outbreak. I believe he is visiting family in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events