Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There is some VERY strange formatting issues plaguing the sub-conversation between myself, Marlow, Katygirl and now Everylady. I suggest nobody quote from any of those threads OR if they do, proofread them. Just hit Go Advanced and make sure the quotes are right before uploading it. We might thus all remain friends, at least for the next 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thanks. This is the kind of detail that helps a lot. Based on this, I can see how it was easy to miss initially, and given that Mr Duncan was accompanied by his well girlfriend I would have expected her to volunteer the right information regarding travel history, or to have made sure they understood. They aren't mind readers and Ebola would not have been at the forefront of the nurses minds at that point in time.

I would say that was unfortunate all round, for everyone.
I would say they didn't mention Ebola because they were either in denial or really didn't know the girl had Ebola. I can't understand otherwise why Duncan wouldn't mention it because there was no upside for him. The thing we probably don't fully appreciate is how many awful diseases these people live with and encounter on a daily basis. Also, the power of denial is very strong. It took his nephew who lives in Dallas to think about Ebola, and that was only after his symptoms really became Ebola-like. Having a fever and runny nose doesn't scream Ebola to anyone in this country, and maybe not to Duncan either.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:12 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
But we know that people in Dallas have it or had it...but we obviously don't know which ones.... So we seal off D/FW for 30 days to make sure it is gone...

You seem unwilling to use your own criteria locally.
That could become necessary, however we are not seeing more cases as of yet. In the areas I am isolating there are bodies in the street and victims without care wandering about in the throes of death. There is also a situation where governments and systems of civilization are dysfunctional or absent. Nothing that is coming out of that part of the world can be trusted or verified. So isolation is the only rational precaution.

I think even our inept leaders can get a handle on the few local cases we are seeing. If that changes, we can consider local quarantines.

I am willing to apply the principles of isolation and quarantine wherever they are appropriate. Based on the chaos observed in West Africa, isolation and quarantine are not only indicated, but obvious, and not only recommended, but mandatory.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
It doesn't look like Obama is going to cave on this one . 70(!) congresspeople pushed for him to restrict travel and he refused. He must have too much political/diplomacy cr*p hanging in the balance.
What does that say about the supposed balance of powers? We're living in a bureaucratic dictatorship. It doesn't matter what the people want, or congress, or the judiciary. We've handed too much power to the executive branch through bigger government and massive bureaucracy. The executive branch appoints all the heads of each bureau or agency.

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-17-2014 at 08:40 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
That could become necessary, however we are not seeing more cases as of yet. In the areas I am isolating there are bodies in the street and victims without care wandering about in the throes of death. There is also a situation where governments and systems of civilization are dysfunctional or absent. Nothing that is coming out of that part of the world can be trusted or verified. So isolation is the only rational precaution.

I think even our inept leaders can get a handle on the few local cases we are seeing. If that changes, we can consider local quarantines.

I am willing to apply the principles of isolation and quarantine wherever they are appropriate. Based on the chaos observed in West Africa, isolation and quarantine are not only indicated, but obvious, and not only recommended, but mandatory.
Boy are you in denial. You want to quarantine before the Sh$t hits the fan. Not after.

But you want to sort out those blacks in Africa. Not those nice Texans in Dallas.

You have to modulate how important it is by the mileage. That 3,000 miles away is about one millionth as important as down the block.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Hey I certanly agree.

Let us shut down D/FW immediately. Maybe all of Texas as it has obviously gotten as far as Galveston.

It is only for 30 days or so then we can turn it back on.

And we might start building an Ebola treatment center outside of D/FW. That areas is already contaminated so why not do it there?

We could also put the 21 day quarantine area there for those returning to the US from infected areas.

Hey might as well minimize the cultural damage to the country.
I honestly wouldn't put it past some people to want this. They talked about putting 75 healthcare workers on a no-fly list, but not the hundreds of people arriving here from Ebola countries on a daily basis with a mere fever check. I'm all for putting the healthcare workers on the no-fly list, but I wish they would admit that it's just as dangerous to allow hundreds of potential Ebola cases per day into this country. Thomas Duncan would have passed their screenings, and you can bet another person will come here with it and pass that screening. I hear mayors all over conceding that we will probably have an Ebola case, like that's perfectly acceptable. WTF!?!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Boy are you in denial. You want to quarantine before the Sh$t hits the fan. Not after.

But you want to sort out those blacks in Africa. Not those nice Texans in Dallas.

You have to modulate how important it is by the mileage. That 3,000 miles away is about one millionth as important as down the block.
And there it goes, ladies and gentlemen, as we knew it would.

Yes. Exactly. I want to quarantine BEFORE the sheet hits the fan. Not after. Why would we wait? Quarantine seeks to prevent catastrophe, not treat it. It is indicated at the outset of a crisis, not during the intermission. But you don't care about any of that, so why are we playing?

Your illogical little trap failed, as anyone knew it would, and when it did, you would come out of your shell and expose your real agenda: racism. It was an irresistible itch and you just couldn't wait to scratch it.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 10-17-2014 at 09:17 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc paolella View Post
and there it goes, ladies and gentlemen, as we knew it would.

Yes. Exactly. I want to quarantine before the sheet hits the fan. Not after. why would i wait?

so your illogical little trap failed, as anyone knew it would, and when it did, you would come out of your shell and expose your real agenda: Racism. It was an irresistible itch and you just couldn't wait to scratch it.
lol

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-17-2014 at 09:33 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And there it goes, ladies and gentlemen, as we knew it would.

Yes. Exactly. I want to quarantine BEFORE the sheet hits the fan. Not after. Why would we wait? Quarantine seeks to prevent catastrophe, not treat it. It is indicated at the outset of a crisis, not during the intermission. But you don't care about any of that, so why are we playing?

Your illogical little trap failed, as anyone knew it would, and when it did, you would come out of your shell and expose your real agenda: racism. It was an irresistible itch and you just couldn't wait to scratch it.
You are not only racist but proud of it?

Wow.

Otherwise you would be cutting off D/FW...not a distant continent.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Quote:
You are not only racist but proud of it?

Wow.

Otherwise you would be cutting off D/FW...not a distant continent.

Well, it is much more controllable here....Monrovia, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events