Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Since I personally am within 3 feet of at least 30 or more people a day then no, I'm certainly concerned. It might as well be airborn to me and the many people who work closely with the public, or use public transport or go shopping, use the restroom in crowded public places, or eat out, etc....
How many shops can we afford to close after an infected person goes shopping, or how many planes can we take out of service for deep cleaning?
We need to do everything, including travel restrictions, to stop this before it gets worse. I would assume that would be a given, but apparently it's just the thought of us layman.
From what I've been listening to the major reason they (CDC) doesn't want travel restrictions is that it would negatively impact the economy of the countries involved.
I find it interesting (NOT surprising) that once again it comes down to money vs lives and money wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 08:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
another perspective, from Disease Daily:

From Pigs to Monkeys, Ebola Goes Airborne

"...Airborne and droplet transmission both technically travel through the air to infect others; the difference lies in the size of the infective particles. Smaller droplets persist in the air longer and are able to travel farther- these droplets are truly “airborne.” Larger droplets can neither travel as far nor persist for very long..."

From Pigs to Monkeys, Ebola Goes Airborne | HealthMap

Old 10-19-2014, 08:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
From what I've been listening to the major reason they (CDC) doesn't want travel restrictions is that it would negatively impact the economy of the countries involved.
I find it interesting (NOT surprising) that once again it comes down to money vs lives and money wins.

...negatively impact the economy of...us.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
...negatively impact the economy of...us.
Actually the economies that were being talked about were not the U.S. but the African countries.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:03 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well I'm not expert but I believe once it's here it's here and can crop up again in the future like it does in Africa. Hope I'm wrong. I'm sure one of the Ebola experts will chime in.
It's a evolving disease like most.It will be here then with the wind gone.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Actually the economies that were being talked about were not the U.S. but the African countries.
Yes, because what has been effecting our economy is closing and cleaning everything these people touch, and that's of no cocern since it's just our local economy.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:05 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Anyone find it weird that they destroyed one patient's dog and now have another one quarantined,if Ebola is only spread by bodily fluids?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,140,061 times
Quote:
I always found that a strange argument against commercial air travel restrictions considering those African countries economies are not dependent on commercial flights in the 1st place. Seems that their economies rely mainly on natural resources and minerals that depends on maritime shipping which nobody is talking about banning.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Anyone find it weird that they destroyed one patient's dog and now have another one quarantined,if Ebola is only spread by bodily fluids?
Don't dogs lick their owners? This is nothing to scratch your head over.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:20 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
I always found that a strange argument against commercial air travel restrictions considering those African countries economies are not dependent on commercial flights in the 1st place. Seems that their economies rely mainly on natural resources and minerals that depends on maritime shipping which nobody is talking about banning.
They state it would hurt their tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events