Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The toy has been available for a while. It was not created in response to the current Ebola events. Most are purchased for adults. I understand the herpes toy is sometimes a present that says, "Here, I gave you herpes."

Herpes (Herpes Simplex Virus 2)

Giant Microbes | Gag Gifts | Funny Gag Gift Ideas

"GIANTmicrobes® are stuffed animals that look like tiny microbes — only a million times actual size! They’re humorous, educational, and make the best gag gifts ever!

Whether you’re looking for doctor gag gifts, nurse gag gifts, or funny novelty gifts for birthdays, there’s a GIANTmicrobes® for everyone on your list!"
Yup. Those toys have been popular on think geek dot com for several years. It's a website that caters to smart people with a sense of humor. Two things that seem to be in diminishing supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 03:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The toy has been available for a while. It was not created in response to the current Ebola events. Most are purchased for adults. I understand the herpes toy is sometimes a present that says, "Here, I gave you herpes."

Herpes (Herpes Simplex Virus 2)

Giant Microbes | Gag Gifts | Funny Gag Gift Ideas

"GIANTmicrobes® are stuffed animals that look like tiny microbes — only a million times actual size! They’re humorous, educational, and make the best gag gifts ever!

Whether you’re looking for doctor gag gifts, nurse gag gifts, or funny novelty gifts for birthdays, there’s a GIANTmicrobes® for everyone on your list!"
"I gave you herpes, I gave you ebola." Lots of fun. Lots of dollars.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
A Doctors Without Borders physician is now being monitored for Ebola at Bellevue Hospital in NYC. He obviously got transported via air back here from W Africa. One of his samples was sent to the Atlanta hospitals. So we also now have samples traveling by air.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A Doctors Without Borders physician is now being monitored for Ebola at Bellevue Hospital in NYC. He obviously got transported via air back here from W Africa. One of his samples was sent to the Atlanta hospitals. So we also now have samples traveling by air.
Yes, but we have already established the virus is not spread by airborne transmission. Do you have another point I can't seem to grasp?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 PM

23,477 posts, read 12,496,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yes, but we have already established the virus is not spread by airborne transmission.
Which has nothing to do with her comment - your point in bringing it up?

Quote:
Do you have another point I can't seem to grasp?
Appears so. How is the sample (safely) being flown to Atlanta - medical courier, FedEx, UPS, etc?

New York physician tested for Ebola - CNN.com

The doctor didn't follow self quarantine procedures when he returned from W. Africa. Apparently he was out in the public since he'd gotten back. He felt sluggish for several days, Wed. night he felt sickly (fever, nausea, pain and fatigue) yet took a cab and went bowling and waited until today to contact DWB.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
They are truly selfless, humanitarian and courageous doctors. MSF physician, or not, I wish him the very best.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 PM

I'm betting that he will be okay. Good supportive care, provided the disease is identified in its earlier stages seems to really help. He will probably also receive one of the experimental meds.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:29 PM

777 posts, read 1,871,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
How is the sample (safely) being flown to Atlanta - medical courier, FedEx, UPS, etc?
Probably the exact same way all the other samples were safely flown, driven or otherwise transported to CDC. Why should this sample be any less safe or unsafe than all those prior? There are very strict regulations for the transport of biohazards. I think you can relax.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:34 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
I don't know if someone posted this already, cannot read through all the posts of the past week, but this one truly takes the cake. How sick can a society get (in more ways than one).

Ebola plush toys for kids "selling like hot cakes" - CBS News
Oh geez, I don't know if this is just disturbing or hilarious

Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Oh geez, I don't know if this is just disturbing or hilarious
It's funny. Those toys have been around for a long time on the geek websites. I may have even bought a salmonella one once. People that work in IT, medicine, law enforcement, etc. tend to have a gallows sense of humor. Part of the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events