Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Long before; I heard of these plushies years ago.
About 5 years, with the rise of Ebola they were used in classrooms to educate, just not as much for gags or big money makers. The good news is they donate some of the money to Africa. I still think with the recent hords of death its not a good joke this season. Maybe next year. It's been devastating in Africa this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Doctor in New York tested positive for Ebola. He is in isolation now.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
The doctor has tested positive:

Patient in New York City Tests Positive for Ebola
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/ny...=top-news&_r=0
Oh great. Now we have the major East Coast city with Ebola. Surely the moviemakers are furiously writing new scripts.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 PM

23,547 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
None of that would in the least bother properly packaged biologicals. You would have to get into power cutting tools and such.
Yep. I did use this -> under that clip instead of one like this ->

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I think it's high time that authorities enforce a mandatory quarantine on any health workers exposed to ebola . You would hope they would be smart enough to know it themselves but as we can see, this is not happening.
It is a shame that it will probably have to be enforced on those who should know better. If someone does become infected because of him, he should lose his medical license. That might make the next doctor/medical professional think twice before being lackadaisical.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yup. Those toys have been popular on think geek dot com for several years. It's a website that caters to smart people with a sense of humor. Two things that seem to be in diminishing supply.
Why do we need a sense of humor about Ebola?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yes, but we have already established the virus is not spread by airborne transmission. Do you have another point I can't seem to grasp?
Think handling, breakage, spillage. Think plane crash.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
They are truly selfless, humanitarian and courageous doctors. MSF physician, or not, I wish him the very best.
Yes, humanitarian and selfless. And sometimes, apparently stupid.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why should they release sales figures? Whose business is it besides theirs? Why lie about the popularity of the item? How will that increase sales? Some might want one because of the publicity, but would they buy one just because other people bought it?

It's just a gag toy, marketed to adults.

I would think people in this country would be beyond stigmatizing Ebola. I would not be afraid to invite Dr. Brantly or Ms. Vinson to my home for dinner. Would you?
Make sure you're vaccinated.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
About 5 years, with the rise of Ebola they were used in classrooms to educate, just not as much for gags or big money makers. The good news is they donate some of the money to Africa. I still think with the recent hords of death its not a good joke this season. Maybe next year. It's been devastating in Africa this year.
In case you didn't look at the website, it's actually more about education than jokes. I'm glad they donate. Maybe someone needs to donate to the NIH and CDC, since our illustrious congresscritters have been busy slashing their budgets the last few years.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
subway??

I live in a huge metropolis like new york (buenos aires) and in my country ebola is not even in the news (we live too far away) but i ve been reading about it, and since i take the crowded subway every morning to go to work, i found myself thinking "imagine if it came here, with the subway it will spread in like 2 nanoseconds". And i just read on twitter about this ebola case in new york. And now i read he took the SUBWAY and i cannot believe it. I mean, considering the huge paranoia thats in the US now with ebola and the case all over the news, and this doctor who just came from africa treating ebola patients, went ahead and took the SUBWAY????

unbelievable
Unbelievable is not the word for it. And if he traveled around and took the subway, he should be prosecuted, should he survive. If hundreds can be incarcerated for being suspected terrorists, this guy should be. They should seat him under a lightbulb in a dark room and interrogate him as to what the h*** he was doing.

ETA: Just read the NYT account that he not only took a subway (Manhattan to Brooklyn) but also a taxi and went to a bowling alley the night before he came down with 103 fever and subsequently tested positive.

NYT: "It was unclear if the city was trying to find people who might have come into contact with Dr. Spencer on the subway." I guess it would be pretty unclear how they'd ever trace all those people. I don't remember signing a resister when I used to enter a subway. Nevertheless, de Blasio assures us: “Our understanding is that very few people were in direct contact with him." Isn't it stated that the virus can survive on surfaces for up to several hours?

The elephant in the room at this point is....Why isn't there an isolation period for any healthcare workers/doctors coming back here after treating ebola patients in Africa? They're allowed to go loose among the population? And where are their minds?

Last edited by RiverBird; 10-23-2014 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events