Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:17 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Panic? How about realistic. Everything you hear is from political slanted government statements...Maybe someone will explain why independent virologist have a different take on the aspects of Ebola that what is being reported.
Echoing the warnings given by others, Dr. Jahrling believes that this strain of Ebola is not only more deadly than other strains but also mutating at an alarming rate. More of the virus is infecting patients, and it appears to be advancing and spreading more rapidly than usual.[LEFT]
Learn more: Legendary virologist Dr. Jahrling warns today's Ebola strain appears to be far more infectious than any previous Ebola - NaturalNews.com
But that is only a laboratory evaluation..There are other factors such as Winters being colder and dryer in the USA than in Africa that affect the survival time of any virus along with the immune systems of people.
The CDC reasons that a ban would hamper on volunteers from the USA going to these countries,,pretty much as an encroachment of their rights and the need for those countries residents...I get that but remember I have a right to not go there and I have a right to not be exposed to any imported Ebola...In governments way of thinking my rights to be secure is being brushed aside for what? Apparently because 21 days as a safety shield is asking too much?
This is a wicked virus, it mutates rapidly,coupe this with the downplay the CDC has been shoveling out,,it's roll of the dice and the political gamesmanship I have no confidence in it being addressed in the current fashion.
[/LEFT]

The info about the higher viral loads appears to be correct, and I do not see other virologists denying that. Dr. Jahrling is not a voice crying in the wilderness about it. Natural News, however is only interested in getting people to click on its site so they can bombard you with ads for their products. If you want to be taken seriously, Natural News is not the authority you want to use.

Higher viral loads can indeed make patients sicker and increase the risk of transmission, especially in the later stages of the disease. That is very worrisome. However, every patient has to be treated as if he has a high viral load, so for patients in the US it is something that can be dealt with.

It just means that this strain of the virus is perhaps more wicked than others. Viruses do that, Some influenza viruses do the same thing, for example. It does not mean it cannot be controlled.

If you are not on an Ebola treatment team, your risk of exposure to Ebola is pretty close to zero. I would say zero, but then someone would tell me it is possible. Possible, yes. Probably going to happen, no.

Since patients in the US will be in air conditioned environments, the climate is irrelevant. Treating Ebola in the US is not going to get the virus permanently established here. Since it is adapted to a hot, humid climate anyway, a cooler and dryer one might not be very hospitable to it, even if it could find an animal vector to infect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 AM

320 posts, read 480,601 times
Infectious and contagious do not mean the same thing.

For a lengthy, in-depth critique of non-science approaches to ebola:

Ebola outbreaks: Science versus fear mongering and quackery « Science-Based Medicine

Old 10-25-2014, 11:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Finally some brains. Let's effing panic, rationally, and do the right damned thing!
There is a doctrine in law called "preemption". The concept is that in a federal system, federal law is the supreme law of the land. I don't know that this would ever be challenged in court. However, if it ever was, I think the courts would hold these actions to be illegal because customs and immigration matters have been treated as the sole province of the federal government.

In other words, the quarantine would have to be imposed by the federal government.

I'm not necessarily saying a quarantine here in the United States for medical people returning from west Africa is bad thing. I could possibly be talked into that. I would be inclined to limit it to either medical people or people who have been involved in caring for Ebola victims though.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:53 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There is a doctrine in law called "preemption". The concept is that in a federal system, federal law is the supreme law of the land. I don't know that this would ever be challenged in court. However, if it ever was, I think the courts would hold these actions to be illegal because customs and immigration matters have been treated as the sole province of the federal government.

In other words, the quarantine would have to be imposed by the federal government.

I'm not necessarily saying a quarantine here in the United States for medical people returning from west Africa is bad thing. I could possibly be talked into that. I would be inclined to limit it to either medical people or people who have been involved in caring for Ebola victims though.
Not true. Public Health Laws are local and can be draconian. And there really is no appeal.

A major exception to the normal citizen rights.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:22 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Not true. Public Health Laws are local and can be draconian. And there really is no appeal.

A major exception to the normal citizen rights.
I'll stand by what I have said. If it involves international travel or commerce, its preempted by federal law.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 698 times
Exclamation Ebola is a US Scam It's about Oil and Diamonds in west africa

The agenda is two fold get troops on the ground to "contain" and "control" the spread..and then take over natural resources of the beautiful untapped Africa because China has already been staking their claims in Africa. Also in Nigeria recently Diamond miners were refusing to cooperate with US because of low wages and poor working conditions..coincidentally Nigeria was one of the first countries suffering outbreak. Secondly Pharamacetical companies stand to make a boatload of money once they release a vaccine..look at the previous poll..smh market research perhaps lol This is why so many countries look at the US as pure evil..but hey check out the articles for yourself... Do your own research and make our own decisions ...oh and Ps save our girls ..never happened notice the hype faded so quickly ..Those girls were not taken from Nigeria it was another ploy to get Troops on the ground in Nigeria to eliminate "terrorist" boko haram or whatever his name was... Sad sad sad sad. Pps I have family and friends in Ghana rt now..truth deceit lies so
[url=http://www.theeventchronicle.com/ebola/ghana-ebola-real-people-gotten-sick-got-shots-red-cross/]From Ghana: Ebola is not real and the only people who have gotten sick are those who got shots from the red cross » The Event Chronicle[/url]

Just one site among many others

Old 10-25-2014, 01:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'll stand by what I have said. If it involves international travel or commerce, its preempted by federal law.
Until they get out of customs...then the State.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't believe for a minute any statements that it can't spread by "casual contact" is politically slanted. I prefer to THINK on these matters, not automatically believe what a liberal or conservative says about this. I think this is simply people being paranoid about something that has killed one person, has been tested positive in, what, 5 people total in the entire country, and has been found to only spread via bodily fluids and very close contact beyond what you'd likely encounter in a public setting.

Everyone is expressing anger at people who traveled while infected, I say I don't blame them. They said nothing because they figured they didn't have anything and they didn't want to be involuntarily imprisoned against their will over what was almost for sure nothing but the cold or the flu. I know someone who has a fever and threw up a few days ago, but you don't see me asking that they be thrown in jail practically for 21 days because they MIGHT have Ebola. If I developed a fear and throw up, I'm not going to tell anybody, because I know that they will want to throw me in prison for 21 days right away when it's 99.99% likely (and no, I don't get caught up in the whole stupid "well what about the remaining 00.001%" nonsense) that it's nothing but the cold. If I test positive for it, then okay, heck I will VOLUNTARILY park myself inside my home for 21 days--otherwise, you're not throwing me in jail without one heck of a battle. No one should be imprisoned against their will for 21 days--to me, that is a lifetime practically--especially if the risk of spread is as minimal as it truly is.

As I read in one place, "it's not like catching the cold." If it really is a real risk of that caliber, okay, but I'm not seeing it, I'm just seeing a lot of the same hysteria I saw in the 1980s with AIDS, with everyone thinking and really believing that you could catch AIDS from casual contact, and we all know how that turned out.
Except the viral load is a lot more with Ebola, and healthcare workers are catching it from them unlike Aids. I believe what they are trying to do is keep it out of the general public for the reasons you've listed. The general public will most likely think it's just a stomach virus and are opposed to staying put until they find out, as well as their friends would most likely go help them thinking the same thing. It's best kept in the medical community where they realize the dangers of it once the viral load gets high.

As stupid as people think the doctor was, he reported a fever as soon as he was aware of it, and went into quarantine. From what you've said you can see that the average person would rather chance it, and not be concerned until they were contagious.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:50 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because their guidelines do not say "stay home".
They say to monitor and first sign of a fever then go to a hospital.

Someone posted their guidelines earlier in this thread.

Who gives a shyt about the guidelines?? How about COMMON SENSE AND DECENCY????

Old 10-25-2014, 03:59 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Who gives a shyt about the guidelines?? How about COMMON SENSE AND DECENCY????
Yeah, HOW ABOUT IT?

You start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events