Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:50 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Part of the job, God's work takes sacrifice, and we can pay for time off if the U.S. deems it necessary to send doctors over there. It's a lot cheaper than treating Ebola patients.

The rest, ridiculous to me. Part of the job.
I would agree that it's "part of the job" if there were any scientific reasons to support the quarantine of returning HCW. But when every single medical authority on the subject is stating that people are not contagious until showing symptoms, and we have all HCW monitoring and reporting on their symptoms, there is no logical reason for it.

"It's a lot cheaper than treating Ebola patients" is a strawman argument, in that we are not currently treating any Ebola patients who acquired their illness through contact with asymptomatic HCW, nor will we, if the experts on the subject are believed. Or do you simply not believe them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^I do not see the above as a reason not to be cautious.

There is a lot we don't know about Ebola yet. Heck, we may never "know it all".

That said, I have no position at the moment on travel bans, quarantines and the like.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:55 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times

Old 10-28-2014, 12:55 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
it cannot be the best thing to leave it to our superior medical infrastructure to pull sick people back from the brink when they get sick. ...NO THANK YOU, I would rather not get ill and have to be "saved". Is that so hard to understand? Is it really so hard to understand why people, lots of people, in their ignorance, and fear, wonder why we would invite possible Ebola virus into virgin populations?

I don't want to get ill with Ebola and have to be saved either. It's a horrid disease. Horrid.

My chance of getting Ebola is nil. I'll wager yours is too.

Unless you have close contact with the bodily fluids of someone who is showing symptoms of Ebola infection (starting with a high fever), you aren't going to get it.

People in Africa aren't getting Ebola without those conditions. People in the US aren't getting Ebola without those conditions. People in Europe aren't getting Ebola without those conditions.

Unless you are treating someone who is symptomatic or dealing with the body of a deceased Ebola patient, there is nothing to fear.

I'll accept that a lot of people have an excuse for their ignorance and fear - they literally don't know any better, and I blame the media and the government for that lack of leadership.

You - and most of the people who have posted on this thread - don't have that excuse.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:57 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You can't really be this ... ... uninformed can you? Honestly, how much worse than 100 deaths a day does something have to be in order to make you think its crazy? Ebola can only spread as fast as human contact. If there were a way to separate uninfected people from infected ones and keep the separation in place for at least 10 days, 21 days even better. We could completely contain the outbreak.

I think it is the extreme agony that Ebola victims experience, the complete loss of control of their bodily functions and the spectacular display of human suffering that it presents to others that make it feared. It does not spread as fast as the flu and it isn't as infectious but... tell the truth... given a choice, wouldn't you rather take your chances with the Flu?

I am glad you believe some of the research work then! still you want to quarantine the same people just because...

I do not like unnecessary travel to these countries right now including who say they have business in there and may as well be discouraged or even banned if you will. However, I cannot see how stopping health pro is going to save USA. If they don't go out there and help/teach them it will never stop and eventually come to this country no matter what you do.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:59 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
How Many Die From Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals? - ProPublica
In a country where medical mistakes are the third largest killer of our population you want us to take on Ebola? Well the majority of us are not stupid, we don't have the trust in our medical system to handle it. Shut down the border, quarantine the do gooders, and trust the majority of us have our reasons.
We should follow the other countries in banned travel we are no good at leading, we are no good at it, we've proven that again and again.
The problem with your study is that it is extrapolated from a small number of admissions and it does not account for patients who were so ill that they were going to die anyway.

The question is not really how many errors happen, but how many were preventable.

We cannot "shut down the border." It's impossible. The US border is very different from that of Australia.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:59 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
So Australia is implementing a travel bad...according to CNN.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
A few words here. The survey you have quoted suggests that there are something on the order of 220,000 + people who die, partially as the result of medical malpractice in hospitals.

I agree malpractice is a problem, but I disagree its anywhere on this level.

If these figures were true, than roughly five to six times as many people are dying every year as a result of medical negligence than the 40,000 or so that die in car accidents. These results are based on incomplete surveys that can't possibly reflect all the patients in all the hospitals in this country.

Additionally, my own real world experiences with family and friends who have been to the hospital tell me these numbers are inflated.

I'm a little staggered by what you seem to be suggesting. The implication is that because allegedly so many people die as a result of receiving medical care that we can't trust the CDC and other government agencies when they make recommendations about Ebola or other diseases. I guess we are supposed to trust our own uneducated judgments instead?

I think you mean well, but I find this kind of reasoning terribly flawed, perhaps dangerously so.
You make a point that I had meant to make also. I doubt that of us who are old enough to have had many friends and relatives die that many of us can say one in six died from a medical error. I m 66 years old and I do not know of any. Anecdotal, yes, I know.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
She hasn't been fired. I strongly doubt she will be fired. Pham is something of a celebrity at this point and I bet the hospital sees having her on their staff as a plus. The real question is whether she will want to keep her job after this experience.

I suppose looking at this very deeply its possible Texas Presbyterian might want Pham to say as little about the PPE and other procedures they might have been following as possible. If they want to pay her money for her to keep her silence its between the two of them. Pham can't be silent if she is called to testify before Congress or some other investigative body. She will tell truth too because anything else would be perjury. Therefore, I don't see the hospital gaining much by offering her a cash settlement.

The real harm done here is to the hospital's reputation in the community. That may never recover. My hunch is they'll end up selling the facility to another company and it will reopen under a different name. The major economic loss will be from patients who choose to shun the hospital for their medical needs.
Ms. Pham may want to go into cake decorating or something less stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
The CDC has released new guidelines.

If you are at high risk for Ebola (you took care of an Ebola patient while you were not wearing PPE, or you stuck yourself with a syringe while caring for an Ebola patient), you should not use public transporation or congregate with others (although it's okay to leave home and go for a walk, etc) for 21 days.

If you are at moderate risk (cared for Ebola patients while wearing PPE) should be monitored by local health officials with temps taken 2x a day.

If you are at low risk - travelled to West Africa but weren't around Ebola patients - you should monitor your own temperature 2x a day but no travel restrictions.

Those are reasonable, IMO.

The same article goes on to say that "In fact, people may not be infectious for two to three days after developing symptoms, according to a report in Monday's New England Journal of Medicine. Sensitive tests show that many people don't test positive for Ebola for two to three days after their symptoms begin because they still have very low levels of virus in their blood."

This will hopefully put to rest some of the fear that people like Dr. Spencer and Nurse Vinson were contagious as soon as they started showing fatigue/malaise.
The teal does not necessarily mean they are non-infectious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
So Australia is implementing a travel bad...according to CNN.
And according to NPR.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I wonder how many of the people who are actively supporting these (useless, resource wasting) quarantines are the same people who were gnashing their teeth about "Obamacare-FEMA concentration camps".
Off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events