Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:57 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think we have to keep in mind that Duncan was not forthcoming about his history on either admission. Doctors are taught to look for the most common explanation for a set of symptoms first. So even when someone in Duncan's family raised the possibility of Ebola, I think the medical people were still not ready to buy it.

However, omce someone said, "Let's test for Ebola," even though they did not think that would be the diagnosis, then, yes, isolation is needed until the result is negative (and a confirmatory test is also negative.)

I doubt anyone called CDC until the positive test result came back. CDC may have actually done the test.

My son's mother-in-law is an RN. Her hospital is stopping people at the door and asking the travel questions. She has been asked if she would be on the ER team if they get a case. She works in one of Georgia's larger cities, so it's conceivable they might see a case. All they need to do is isolate, use proper infection control proedures, and refer, probably to Emory.
The hospital called the CDC on the 28th, Duncan's test results came back the 30th. So yes, the hospital called the CDC on suspicion. The test went to a lab in Austin. He was isolated prior to receiving the test results (where exactly I don't recall). Who knows, but I can see that part being a hectic where do we put him episode. Physicians from the CDC came in and Emory's also (when exactly I can't remember).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 12:04 AM

37,094 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I guess we'll see what happens when January rolls around - that's about the time the logarithmic curve is supposed to take off, if they can't control it. If they get it under control, we shouldn't see more than a very few tiny clusters here before the wave dies out.

The drug companies are getting a good start on developing antiviral drugs and especially a much faster test. I suppose within a year they'll have substantial progress in working up a sufficient number of vaccine shots. Public and private money is starting to flow.
From comments on some other sites I visit the vaccines may be ready for field trials in a few weeks. I do not think there will be any more ZMapp in the near future.

One difficulty with vaccines is that some require refrigeration. In areas where the supply of electricity is iffy or non-existent, the "cold chain" is hard to maintain: assuring the vaccine is properly stored from manufacturer to recipient. Also, it may be that more than one dose of vaccine is needed for best protection.

The Canadian vaccine is shipped frozen, for example.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:04 AM

23,448 posts, read 12,481,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Handwashing is good, but not all hospital acquired infections are due to poor hand hygiene by staff. Almost half of all postoperative infections are due to organisms patients bring with them to the hospital. For example, women who have Cesarean sections after long labors can get infections from bacteria transferred from the vagina. MRSA is now in the community, so patients can bring that with them, too. In fact, some docs will test patients before elective surgery to see if they carry MRSA, so it can be treated before the patient is operated on. In addition, what we need to know is how many of those 90,000 deaths were actuall preventable. If they were in cancer patients on chemo, for example neither the infection nor the death may have been preventable.

Every hospital I have been inside of in recent years has the alcohol based sanitizer just inside the door of every patient room, and staff used it. Certainly if staff does not use it you should ask them to do so or to wash with soap and water.
Good info, but not really in line with what Zippyman and I were discussing.
In case you hadn't followed the posts - my comments, throughout those posts, were about controlling the spread of diseases/infections through good hygiene, such as hand washing, etc., and it was brought up because of comment about C-diff, and how it can spread so easily throughout a health care facility, in Zippymans post - my response was that the CDC and Mayo Clinic states that C-diff is commonly found in hospitals/healthcare facilities and is commonly spread by health care workers - who don't practice good hygiene between seeing patients. Zippyman then made a comment about that post, and what you'd quoted was my response to his last post on that subject.

edit to link to the CDC page about hand health, where it talks about the 2 million patients who get infected/90,000 die from the infections that I had posted about which led you to make the above post.
http://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/downl...giene_core.pdf

Even the spreading of MRSA can be controlled by good hygiene, etc.
Precautions to Prevent Spread of MRSA | Clinicians and Administrators | Healthcare Settings | MRSA | CDC

Quote:
Troh and Duncan's other relatives would have been tested when they came out of quarantine. If they had antbodies to the virus, it would have been big news. I think we may assume they did not.
Yes that's true, IF Troh allowed her results to become public. They can't publish squat about her medical info without her agreeing to it. With that being said, it does appear that Troh does allow (at least some of) her medical info to become public.

With all of the difficulty that she'd faced because of this - loss of her apt. and difficulty in getting another, job loss(?) and difficulty in finding one, people threatening her and throwing stones at the house where they thought she lived - she was probably thrilled to allow them to release the info that she was not infected, but she may be hesitant on letting them release any info about markers/antibodies from a possible past infection she may have had, no matter how minor (where she may not have even know she'd had it), or how long ago the past infection was. Other then letting the public know she's clean, she may want to keep her past personal medical info from the eyes of the public. I'm sure that IF she does have markers/antibodies, she may let researchers study it but may have insisted on being known as Patient X. After what she's been through and her despair for her future, I wouldn't blame her a bit.

Quote:
So it does not look like we have any asymptomatic infections related to the cases here in the US so far.
I never said there were any.

Last edited by berdee; 11-02-2014 at 01:02 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

With all of the difficulty that she'd faced because of this - loss of her apt. and difficulty in getting another, job loss(?) and difficulty in finding one, people threatening her and throwing stones at the house where they thought she lived - she was probably thrilled to allow them to release the info that she was not infected, but she may be hesitant on letting them release any info about markers/antibodies from a possible past infection she may have had, no matter how minor (where she may not have even know she'd had it), or how long ago the past infection was. Other then letting the public know she's clean, she may want to keep her past personal medical info from the eyes of the public. I'm sure that IF she does have markers/antibodies, she may let researchers study it but may have insisted on being known as Patient X. After what she's been through and her despair for her future, I wouldn't blame her a bit.
It really stinks that she lost that apartment. If any complex managers do deny her a rental, that would be illegal and she can turn them in. She does have a job, she works at a retirement home (a lot of her family does). Now, I'm hoping her neighborhood will be more accepting once they see that the family is well. There are 33 different languages spoken in her and her daughter's zip code. That's a lot of different folks and customs. Hopefully the adults will work it out, I do worry about the kids being bullied though. I know her church is helping her and trust they will continue to do so.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:50 AM

23,448 posts, read 12,481,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It really stinks that she lost that apartment. If any complex managers do deny her a rental, that would be illegal and she can turn them in. She does have a job, she works at a retirement home (a lot of her family does). Now, I'm hoping her neighborhood will be more accepting once they see that the family is well. There are 33 different languages spoken in her and her daughter's zip code. That's a lot of different folks and customs. Hopefully the adults will work it out, I do worry about the kids being bullied though. I know her church is helping her and trust they will continue to do so.
It does stink. It wasn't her fault at all, but she seems to have been stuck with a lot of the blame. Thanks for posting about her having the job, at least she has that. I wasn't sure about it , that's why I put the question mark by it.
Yes, her church has been absolutely wonderful and I'm happy that she has has them to lean on during this. I also hope her neighbors will work it out, and that her kids won't be bullied. But, people being the way they are I bet there will be a few that won't want anything to do with her, or they will continue to bad mouth or harass her. Sad situation all around.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
Eric Duncan's Fiancee Struggles to Rebuild Life | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

According to her he wasn't throwing up at home, she called the ambulance when his fever was 103 and she told them he was in West Africa. So the ambulance crew new, and they weren't exposed to vomit.
That changes things, they weren't surrounded by tons of virus so they may have just been really lucky. Thats not that different than we've seen so far.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:12 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
Quote:
It does stink. It wasn't her fault at all, but she seems to have been stuck with a lot of the blame. Thanks for posting about her having the job, at least she has that. I wasn't sure about it , that's why I put the question mark by it.
Yes, her church has been absolutely wonderful and I'm happy that she has has them to lean on during this. I also hope her neighbors will work it out, and that her kids won't be bullied. But, people being the way they are I bet there will be a few that won't want anything to do with her, or they will continue to bad mouth or harass her. Sad situation all around.
That is sad, the public thinks he lied about having Ebola and endangered lives. She's suffering like those whose loved ones commited crimes. Hopefully it will die down. The more she shares with the public the better it will get.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:41 AM

37,094 posts, read 41,220,763 times
QUOTE]
Quote:
Good info, but not really in line with what Zippyman and I were discussing.

In case you hadn't followed the posts - my comments, throughout those posts, were about controlling the spread of diseases/infections through good hygiene, such as hand washing, etc., and it was brought up because of comment about C-diff, and how it can spread so easily throughout a health care facility, in Zippymans post - my response was that the CDC and Mayo Clinic states that C-diff is commonly found in hospitals/healthcare facilities and is commonly spread by health care workers - who don't practice good hygiene between seeing patients. Zippyman then made a comment about that post, and what you'd quoted was my response to his last post on that subject.

edit to link to the CDC page about hand health, where it talks about the 2 million patients who get infected/90,000 die from the infections that I had posted about which led you to make the above post.
http://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/downl...giene_core.pdf

Even the spreading of MRSA can be controlled by good hygiene, etc.
Precautions to Prevent Spread of MRSA | Clinicians and Administrators | Healthcare Settings | MRSA | CDC
I was just pointing out that not all infections in hospitals are spread by health care workers. Many people, for example, think that if you get an infection after surgery that the instruments were not sterilized properly or the hospital is dirty or the staff did not wash their hands. That is just not true.

Health care workers should be mindful of their hands, of course.

Quote:
Yes that's true, IF Troh allowed her results to become public. They can't publish squat about her medical info without her agreeing to it. With that being said, it does appear that Troh does allow (at least some of) her medical info to become public.

With all of the difficulty that she'd faced because of this - loss of her apt. and difficulty in getting another, job loss(?) and difficulty in finding one, people threatening her and throwing stones at the house where they thought she lived - she was probably thrilled to allow them to release the info that she was not infected, but she may be hesitant on letting them release any info about markers/antibodies from a possible past infection she may have had, no matter how minor (where she may not have even know she'd had it), or how long ago the past infection was. Other then letting the public know she's clean, she may want to keep her past personal medical info from the eyes of the public. I'm sure that IF she does have markers/antibodies, she may let researchers study it but
may have insisted on being known as Patient X. After what she's been through and her despair for her future, I wouldn't blame her a bit.
This is very true. Patient identification is usually stripped from any journal articles, but with all the publicity about Duncan, it will be easy to know who such an article is about in his case.

Quote:
I never said there were any.
I was referring to this comment you made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee
I believe I've mentioned previously about why/how Ms. Troh and family, who are from Africa, never caught it even while living in such close contact with Duncan, if he was actually contagious during that time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/06/he...nity.html?_r=1
The article is about asymptomatic infections.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Eric Duncan's Fiancee Struggles to Rebuild Life | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

According to her he wasn't throwing up at home, she called the ambulance when his fever was 103 and she told them he was in West Africa. So the ambulance crew new, and they weren't exposed to vomit.
That changes things, they weren't surrounded by tons of virus so they may have just been really lucky. Thats not that different than we've seen so far.
Oh my, according to that article she has an outstanding debt with a prior apartment (not the Ivy). Yes, she will have a hard time renting until that debt is cleared and erased off her credit report. The family always maintained that Duncan wasn't wildly vomiting, but the press ran with a unnamed rogue witness. All those photos, taken from a helicopter, of the men washing the Ivy apartment sidewalks and supposedly spashing vomit around was bunk. It was standard cleanup and the apartment manager said so.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Default Round trip from Florida to JFK 2 weeks

Ft. Myers, Florida 2 weeks ago. Nurses walking around. All Security wearing gloves. "How is your health?" Asking this of SENORS???? Since I was over 65, I was handed a Red Card, which meant I did not have to take off my shoes, BUT I still had to take off all my outerwear and take my laptop out of it's case. It took over half an hour.

I flew from JFK this morning with a 6:30 AM flight. HUNDREDS of people there at that time. Do NOT take off your shoes. Only take off heavy coats, but can leave on hoodies and sweatshirts. Do not take laptops out of bags. How is your HEALTH????? ROFL Not at all. In and out. It took less time at JFK with hundreds of people than in Ft. Myers with only dozens of people.

Ok, JFK Jet Blue in JFK only has South America and Caribbean as their International flights, but so does Ft. Myers, Florida. JFK definitely HAS International Flights all over the world and all you need to do is go from one terminal to another. SW Florda "International" has NONE.

Sounds to me that small town America is far more terrified of Ebola, and terrorists., than major cities are. Personally, my experience at JFK was far more efficient that Ft. Myers. Watch out! Granny is either contagious, or a terrorist!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events