Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:20 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ft. Myers, Florida 2 weeks ago. Nurses walking around. All Security wearing gloves. "How is your health?" Asking this of SENORS???? Since I was over 65, I was handed a Red Card, which meant I did not have to take off my shoes, BUT I still had to take off all my outerwear and take my laptop out of it's case. It took over half an hour.

I flew from JFK this morning with a 6:30 AM flight. HUNDREDS of people there at that time. Do NOT take off your shoes. Only take off heavy coats, but can leave on hoodies and sweatshirts. Do not take laptops out of bags. How is your HEALTH????? ROFL Not at all. In and out. It took less time at JFK with hundreds of people than in Ft. Myers with only dozens of people.

Ok, JFK Jet Blue in JFK only has South America and Caribbean as their International flights, but so does Ft. Myers, Florida. JFK definitely HAS International Flights all over the world and all you need to do is go from one terminal to another. SW Florda "International" has NONE.

Sounds to me that small town America is far more terrified of Ebola, and terrorists., than major cities are. Personally, my experience at JFK was far more efficient that Ft. Myers. Watch out! Granny is either contagious, or a terrorist!!!!!!
If you did not have to take your laptop out of the bag you must have been in the TSA Pre✓â„¢ line.

What is TSA Pre

It is now available at Ft. Myers, but it was not when you went through there two weeks ago.

TSA PreCheck begins at Southwest Florida Int'l Airport - WINK-TV News

The hooker is you may not get the pre-check option every flight unless you sign up for it. There's a background check, fingerprinting, and fee to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:22 PM

23,562 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
QUOTE]I was just pointing out that not all infections in hospitals are spread by health care workers. Many people, for example, think that if you get an infection after surgery that the instruments were not sterilized properly or the hospital is dirty or the staff did not wash their hands. That is just not true.

Health care workers should be mindful of their hands, of course.
Yes I am fully aware that people become ill/die from infections that are not passed on by someone else who has poor hygiene habits. But those few posts, between me and the one other poster, were discussing the infections that were being passed from patient to patient by healthcare workers with poor hygiene habits - and nothing more. And the reason for my comment - "In case you hadn't followed the posts" (between me and the other poster)

Quote:
This is very true. Patient identification is usually stripped from any journal articles, but with all the publicity about Duncan, it will be easy to know who such an article is about in his case.
Possible, especially if they say 'Patient X from Dallas', or 'from TX'. If they don't narrow it down it may be harder to know if they are talking about Troh or if it's about someone in W. Africa (or, if it's some future person in this or another country). It would probably take time (long months from now, or, a year or longer) for them to study it and publish their findings and there may be many more Duncans in this country and other countries by the time they do finish up their study and publish, especially if they can't halt the spread of ebola and it becomes so bad that people in W. Africa start fleeing to other countries (though most may end up in SE Asia over most other countries)

Quote:
I was referring to this comment you made:

The article is about asymptomatic infections.
The article was - "Many in West Africa May Be Immune to Ebola Virus" - being immune and being asymptomatic are two separate things.
My comment - "I never said there were any" - was directed at your comment - "So it does not look like we have any asymptomatic infections related to the cases here in the US so far."
My comment still stands.

(a note - I don't mind someone pointing out an error in something I post , in fact I welcome it. But it gets tiresome to have to continually defend what is not in error. With that being said - I respect you and your own contributions to this topic (as I do with a few other posters in here) ... can we now pass the peace pipe between the two of us? )

Old 11-02-2014, 07:09 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
If you did not have to take your laptop out of the bag you must have been in the TSA Pre✓â„¢ line.

What is TSA Pre

It is now available at Ft. Myers, but it was not when you went through there two weeks ago.

The hooker is you may not get the pre-check option every flight unless you sign up for it. There's a background check, fingerprinting, and fee to do that.
Fee? I did not pay any fee for it, and I did PreCheck in 2 weeks ago, Made no difference there. At any rate, I did not see medical personnel walking around JFK's Jet Blue terminal like I did in Florida. They did not ask about your "health" either.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Fee? I did not pay any fee for it, and I did PreCheck in 2 weeks ago, Made no difference there. At any rate, I did not see medical personnel walking around JFK's Jet Blue terminal like I did in Florida. They did not ask about your "health" either.
If you want to do pre-check every time, you can sign up, do the background check, and pay a fee. Otherwise, you may or may not get it. Some frequent flyers get it, some don't. It's pretty much random, I think. On one flight I was on pre-check out of Atlanta but not coming back from Syracuse. My traveling companion got it both ways.

You could not have done pre-check in FT. Myers two weeks ago. It was not available there until last week. That is why you had to do the shoes off, laptop out of the bag deal.

It was available at JFK. That's why you got the express treatment.

I agree that asking domestic passengers about their health is silly.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:

What is TSA Pre

Lol, just sign the waiver that states you don't mind flying with a terrorist or someone with Ebola and you'll sail right through. I hear they might be one in the same now.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I guess we'll see what happens when January rolls around - that's about the time the logarithmic curve is supposed to take off, if they can't control it. If they get it under control, we shouldn't see more than a very few tiny clusters here before the wave dies out.

The drug companies are getting a good start on developing antiviral drugs and especially a much faster test. I suppose within a year they'll have substantial progress in working up a sufficient number of vaccine shots. Public and private money is starting to flow.
Here are some projections:

How Many New Ebola Cases in U.S. by End of 2014? Experts Weigh In. | TheBlaze.com

Old 11-02-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Yes I am fully aware that people become ill/die from infections that are not passed on by someone else who has poor hygiene habits. But those few posts, between me and the one other poster, were discussing the infections that were being passed from patient to patient by healthcare workers with poor hygiene habits - and nothing more. And the reason for my comment - "In case you hadn't followed the posts" (between me and the other poster)
My post was for the benefit of other posters who may have assumed the CDC meant 2 million infections with 90,000 deaths per year are caused by poor handwashing. That was the only reason I responded to your post that mentioned those specific numbers.

Quote:
Possible, especially if they say 'Patient X from Dallas', or 'from TX'. If they don't narrow it down it may be harder to know if they are talking about Troh or if it's about someone in W. Africa (or, if it's some future person in this or another country). It would probably take time (long months from now, or, a year or longer) for them to study it and publish their findings and there may be many more Duncans in this country and other countries by the time they do finish up their study and publish, especially if they can't halt the spread of ebola and it becomes so bad that people in W. Africa start fleeing to other countries (though most may end up in SE Asia over most other countries)
They will probably mention the US, because with articles about other outbreaks they mention the country. That's all they will need to do to pin it down for us. We'll see. It won't happen in the near future anyway.

Quote:
The article was - "Many in West Africa May Be Immune to Ebola Virus" - being immune and being asymptomatic are two separate things.
My comment - "I never said there were any" - was directed at your comment - "So it does not look like we have any asymptomatic infections related to the cases here in the US so far."
My comment still stands.

(a note - I don't mind someone pointing out an error in something I post , in fact I welcome it. But it gets tiresome to have to continually defend what is not in error. With that being said - I respect you and your own contributions to this topic (as I do with a few other posters in here) ... can we now pass the peace pipe between the two of us? )
Passing the pipe back do you!

Sorry to be annoying.

We were actually really speculating about how Duncan's family escaped getting Ebola, since he lived with them for two days while he was developing real symptoms. Possibilities:

1. Duncan was not shedding a lot of virus, though he had symptoms. He was cleaning up after himself, so that minimized contact by the family with potentially infectious fluids. The others were "riding the bus" with him, so to speak. No one was providing the sort of intimate care he needed from the nurses late in his illness. This scenario supports the observation that Ebola, unlike measles, is hard to catch, especially in the early stages of the disease. It also means the family was lucky Duncan was hospitalized when he was.

2. One or more of the family members is genetically predisposed to resistance to infection with Ebola. If exposed to the virus, their cells block it out and it cannot replicate. It would take DNA testing to find out if they have such genes. That's a research project for someone, if the family is cooperative after all they've been through. Such people would not show evidence of immunity (antibodies) because their immune system never has to deal with the virus.

3. One or more of the family members had Ebola already and is therefore immune to it and will have Ebola antibodies. That would require either a. Symptomatic infection with Ebola in the past (if that were true, I think it would have leaked to the media at some point) or b. An asymptomatic infection to Ebola either in the past or after exposure to Duncan. Everyone in the family passed out of quarantine with no active Ebola infection due to contact with Duncan. Now we have another research project: test everyone with close exposure to Duncan (not just family members; treatment team, too) but who did not get sick for Ebola antibodies to find out whether anyone has had an asymptomatic infection.

Since I suspect that Duncan's family was tested for antibodies already and that if they had them it would have leaked to the press, I am concluding that none of them had immunity (antibodies) and therefore none had asymptomatic Ebola either in the past or due to their recent exposure to Duncan.

I also think that the reason they did not get sick was possibility #1: Duncan was not shedding a lot of virus and everyone was lucky.

Another question is why did Duncan get so sick? We certainly have heard a lot about the possible inadequacy of his medical treatment, but now I am beginning to wonder if it was as bad as we have been led to believe. That he got so sick could be a genetic problem, too: complete lack of any of the protective genes mentioned in #2. Another research project!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Lol, just sign the waiver that states you don't mind flying with a terrorist or someone with Ebola and you'll sail right through. I hear they might be one in the same now.

It's really nice not have to do the remove-your-shoes-find-the-baggie-put-the-computer-in-the-bin dance, though.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:47 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Thanks, the projections are very reassuring ...... depending on how bad it gets in Africa, and whether it spreads to the slums of mega cities like Delhi or Mexico City.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 AM

14 posts, read 21,581 times
The Ebola, a virus that is affecting people thousands of miles away in West Africa, is now in America's most populous city with the fourth diagnosis on American soil. IT IS IN THE USA. HERE IS WHAT FORBES TIMELINE SAYS: [url=http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-america-timeline/story?id=26159719]Ebola in America: Timeline of the Deadly Virus - ABC News[/url]

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa has sickened at least 9,936 people since March, killing at least 4,877 of them as of Oct. 22 -- making it the worst outbreak of the virus in history, according to the World Health Organization.

Find out how the virus first arrived in the United States -- via U.S. missionaries flown here for treatment this summer -- and then how Ebola was unwittingly imported via Thomas Eric Duncan, who flew from Liberia to Texas with the virus and later died in Dallas.

Oct. 24, 2014 - Dallas nurse Nina Pham, 26, the first person to contract Ebola in the United States, is virus-free, the National Institutes of Health announces.

Oct. 23, 2014 - Dr. Craig Allen Spencer is diagnosed with Ebola the same day he went into isolation at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan. According to the hospital, he had a fever and gastrointestinal symptoms when he was taken to Bellevue. Spencer recently returned from Guinea, where he was working with Doctors Without Borders. NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a news conference that Spencer only had symptoms for "a very brief period of time" and only had contact with "very few" people. He described the patient as "in good shape."

PHOTO: Dr. Craig Spencer is seen in this undated LinkedIn profile photo.Craig Spencer/LinkedIn
PHOTO: Dr. Craig Spencer is seen in this undated LinkedIn profile photo.
Oct. 22, 2014 - Ebola patient Amber Vinson, 29, a nurse who treated Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola on American soil, is declared virus-free at Emory University Hospital, where she was transferred after testing positive for the virus at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where she works. Her family said she tested negative for the virus and would be moved from isolation.

Oct. 19, 2014 - The unnamed American Ebola patient is discharged from Emory University Hospital, where the patient had been undergoing care since Sept. 9. This patient had been working for the WHO in Sierra Leone and chose to remain anonymous.

Oct. 17, 2014 - Spencer arrives back in the United States via Brussels after spending a month in Guinea with Doctors Without Borders treating Ebola patients. He lands in New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Oct. 17, 2014 - Officials announce that a Dallas health worker who handled clinical specimens from Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola on American soil, is quarantined aboard a Carnival cruise ship amid concerns the worker may have been exposed to the Ebola virus.

Oct. 16, 2014 - Pham is flown from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas to the National Institutes of Health hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. Pham treated Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where she works.

Oct. 15, 2014 - Vinson is diagnosed with Ebola shortly after midnight and flown to Emory University Hospital that evening.

Oct. 14, 2014 - Vinson is taken to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas with a fever.

Oct. 13, 2014 - Vinson flies from Cleveland to Dallas on Frontier Airlines Flight 1143, arriving at 8:16 p.m. She has no symptoms, but her temperature was 99.5 degrees that morning, according to health officials. She notified the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention before boarding, and no one told her not to fly.

PHOTO: Amber Joy Vinson, the second Texas nurse to test positive for Ebola, is seen in this 2003 Firestone High School Yearbook Photo.Akron Public Schools
PHOTO: Amber Joy Vinson, the second Texas nurse to test positive for Ebola, is seen in this 2003 Firestone High School Yearbook Photo.
Oct. 12, 2014 – Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas says that Pham has tested positive for Ebola.

Oct. 12, 2014 - An unidentified Dallas health worker who handled Duncan's clinical specimens at Texas Healthy Presbyterian Hospital boards a cruise ship. The CDC notified the worker about active monitoring after the cruise ship left the country, according to a government statement.

Oct. 10, 2014 - Vinson takes a commercial flight from Dallas to Cleveland, Ohio, to prepare for her upcoming wedding.

Oct. 9, 2014 – A Dallas County sheriff's deputy who reported symptoms associated with Ebola after serving a quarantine order on the apartment where Duncan had been staying tests negative for the virus.

Oct. 8, 2014 – Duncan dies at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Nina Pham is seen in this undated handout photo provided by her family.Courtesy Pham Family
Nina Pham is seen in this undated handout photo provided by her family.
Oct. 6, 2014 – Ashoka Mukpo, 33, a freelance American cameraman who contracted Ebola in West Africa, arrives at Nebraska Medical Center for Ebola treatment.

Oct. 6, 2014 – Dr. Rick Sacra, 51, who contracted Ebola while treating patients in a Liberian maternity ward a month earlier, is released from his second hospitalization since returning to the United States. He had been hospitalized at UMass Memorial Medical Center on Worcester, Massachusetts, with what doctors initially thought was an Ebola relapse but soon diagnosed as a respiratory infection.

Oct. 5, 2014 – Sacra hospitalized in Massachusetts with what doctors fear is an Ebola relapse. They isolate him out of what they said was an abundance of caution.

Oct. 2, 2014 – Mukpo is diagnosed with Ebola in Liberia. He worked for Vice News, NBC News and other outlets.

PHOTO: This stairway leads to the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, Sept. 30, 2014.LM Otero/AP Photo
PHOTO: This stairway leads to the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, Sept. 30, 2014.
Sept. 30, 2014 – The CDC confirms that a patient who would later be identified as Duncan has been diagnosed with Ebola on U.S. soil.

Sept. 28, 2014 – Duncan returns to the hospital in an ambulance and is isolated.

Sept. 26, 2014 – Duncan goes to Texas Presbyterian Health Hospital in Dallas with a fever and tells a nurse he has been to Liberia. But he is sent home with antibiotics and Tylenol.

PHOTO: Thomas Eric Duncan, seen here in this 2011 file photo, was the first patient diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S.Wilmot Chayee/AP Photo
PHOTO: Thomas Eric Duncan, seen here in this 2011 file photo, was the first patient diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S.
Sept. 25, 2014 – Sacra is deemed virus-free and released from Nebraska Medical Center, where he had spent weeks in an isolation ward recovering from Ebola.

Sept. 20, 2014 – Duncan arrives in the United States from Liberia to visit family.

Sept. 9, 2014 – An unnamed American Ebola patient arrives at Emory University Hospital for treatment. This patient had been working for the WHO in Sierra Leone.

PHOTO: Ashoka Mukpo, pictured in this undated Facebook photo, has been identified as the freelance American journalist who tested positive for EbolaFacebook
PHOTO: Ashoka Mukpo, pictured in this undated Facebook photo, has been identified as the freelance American journalist who tested positive for Ebola
Sept. 5, 2014 – Sacra arrives at Nebraska Medical Center for treatment. He eventually gets a blood transfusion from Dr. Kent Brantly, the American missionary who survived his bout with Ebola.

Sept. 3, 2014 – Sacra was diagnosed with Ebola even though he was treating patients in the maternity ward of the ELWA Hospital in Monrovia, Liberia, not Ebola patients.

Aug. 21, 2014 – Dr. Kent Brantly, 33, is discharged from Emory University Hospital, where he was undergoing treatment for Ebola after contracting it in Africa. In a news conference, he hugs several members of the hospital staff.

PHOTO: In this Sept. 10, 2014 photo released by the Nebraska Medical Center, Debbie Sacra reads Bible verses to her husband Dr. Richard Sacra via a video link in Omaha, Neb. Max Sacra/AP Photo
PHOTO: In this Sept. 10, 2014 photo released by the Nebraska Medical Center, Debbie Sacra reads Bible verses to her husband Dr. Richard Sacra via a video link in Omaha, Neb.
Aug. 19, 2014 – Missionary Nancy Writebol, 59, is quietly discharged from Emory University Hospital, where she was undergoing treatment for Ebola. She also contracted the virus doing aid work in Liberia.

Aug. 5, 2014 – Writebol is flown from Liberia to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, for Ebola treatment in its isolation ward.

Aug. 2, 2014 – Brantly is flown from Liberia to Emory for treatment. He surprises everyone by walking out of the ambulance into the hospital in his protective suit.

PHOTO: Dr. Richard Besser walks with Ebola survivor Nancy Writebol and her husband, David.
Bethany Fankhauser/SIM
PHOTO: Dr. Richard Besser walks with Ebola survivor Nancy Writebol and her husband, David.
July 31, 2013 – In Liberia, Brantly gets the first dose of an experimental drug called ZMapp, though it was unnamed at the time. Though doctors initially thought there was only enough for one person, Writebol was administered the drug as well.

July 27, 2014 – Missionary groups report that two Americans are sickened with Ebola while helping patients in Monrovia, Liberia. Brantly and Writebol were working for aid groups Samaritan's Purse and SIM, respectively. Brantly later told reporters he held patients' hands as they were dying.

PHOTO: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks with a worker outside the ELWA Hospital in Monrovia, LiberiaCourtesy Samaritans Purse
PHOTO: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks with a worker outside the ELWA Hospital in Monrovia, Liberia
March 19, 2014 – What would become the largest Ebola outbreak in history begins in March 2014 with 23 deaths from what is then called a "mystery" hemorrhagic fever.

1976 – Ebola is first discovered in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo near the Ebola River in 1976. Thirty-two Ebola outbreaks would follow, bringing the total number of cases before this outbreak to 2,361, including 1,438 deaths, according to the WHO.

PHOTO: An ambulance arrives with Ebola victim Dr. Kent Brantly, right, to Emory University Hospital, Saturday, Aug. 2, 2014, in Atlanta.WSB-TV Atlanta/AP Photo
PHOTO: An ambulance arrives with Ebola victim Dr. Kent Brantly, right, to Emory University Hospital, Saturday, Aug. 2, 2014, in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events