Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:35 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just checking in. I'm still alive and Ebola free!
Me too! How can this be???? Where's the ebola I was promised???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:40 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
It's overkill, especially considering these facts:

BBC News
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the BBC
A government spokesman said the move was less restrictive than Australia's plan, with the ability to grant visas on a case-by-case basis retained.
The ban would also not apply to Canadians travelling from the Ebola zone - allowing health workers and volunteers to return home.
There are no direct flights to Canada from the three worst-affected countries, and the numbers of annual visitors from those states is understood to be small.
The article also mentioned that testing of a vaccine from GlaxoSmithKline and "US disease authorities" is being done at Lausanne University in Switzerland.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:48 PM

Interestingly, this CBC article says that Australia and Canada are now in violation of the International Health Regulations, which Canada helped write during the SARS epidemic.

"Both countries may soon have to try to produce some evidence to support their actions. Under the International Health Regulations, they will have to explain these decisions to the WHO.
The IHR are designed to help the world fight infectious disease outbreaks that have the potential for international spread. When they were revised and strengthened in 2005 after the SARS outbreak, an emphasis was put on not penalizing countries that are experiencing outbreaks because doing so may incite countries to cover up epidemics rather than disclose them."

"Under the IHR, countries agree not to restrict trade or travel over and above what is recommended by the WHO during Public Health Emergencies of International Concern. The WHO declared Ebola an international public health emergency on Aug. 8 and in doing so said countries should not close their borders to the West African countries struggling with Ebola. It has repeated that advice several times since."

The article goes on to state that fewer than 1.5% of people leaving these West African countries come to Canada (but no numbers on how much that actually is). The three countries combine made up 0.5% of international air travel in 2013.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post37145593

Old 11-06-2014, 07:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I always thought a major part of the hysteria would go away after Election Day.

Certain people have pushed this issue for no other purpose than to try and make it look like it was being handled ineffectively and that the chief executive of our government was to blame.

That's certainly not what motivated everyone. However, it clearly motivated a number of people who posted here. The dead giveaways were those who kept bringing up the President and the administration.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:42 AM

Interview with Amber Vinson

Old 11-06-2014, 07:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I always thought a major part of the hysteria would go away after Election Day.

Certain people have pushed this issue for no other purpose than to try and make it look like it was being handled ineffectively and that the chief executive of our government was to blame.

That's certainly not what motivated everyone. However, it clearly motivated a number of people who posted here. The dead giveaways were those who kept bringing up the President and the administration.
It is/was handled poorly from the start. As for politics? Both sides are guilty of what you charge.

Now we're off to the next crisis as the electorate has a very short attention span and unless there's another major outbreak Ebola is out of the news cycle.

Back to regular programming... Have you heard about the latest terrorists?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring_minds_want2no View Post
With the Ebola virus mutating how can anyone say that they know everything there's to know about Ebola? Why shouldn't people coming from infected areas be quarantined to protect the general public? I think they should. If it gets into the schools then the nation is going to be in a world of trouble.

How Ebola's 300+ Mutations Could Make The Virus Even Scarier

Ebola Mutations Change Virus - Business Insider

Every time the virus makes a copy of itself, there's the possibility that something can change.
The world has never seen an Ebola epidemic like this one.

395 Mutations And Counting

Analyzing the virus genome helped them track how the virus had spread in Sierra Leone. To do this genetic detective work, they looked at mutations in the virus to trace its path. When they compared their current samples to previous data, they were able to track 395 different mutations. If you take into account the number of new cases since then, there have probably been many more.
These results were published in the Sept. 12 issue of Science.
Well covered earlier in the thread. Basically viruses mutate all the time but they seldom change the critical parameters. This virus is like the others.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:27 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
"Well excu-u-use me!" that I didn't read all 562 pages of the thread before posting. Ya know if "Seldom" meant "NEVER" I might feel a little more comfortable. OR if you're a top medical researcher in the field of infectious diseases that could reasure me that you're 100% confident that the Ebola virus would not mutate into something more sinister and that it would stay in Africa, I'd feel better too. So, are you a top researcher and can you guarantee that?

The fact that Obama said the Ebola virus would NEVER reach American soil is testimony that even top American officials who have priviege access to the most sensitive documents and medical information regarding the Ebola virus don't know what's really going on but I suppose you do? The CDC is even confused along with NHI. I wouldn't doubt the "Don't Worry Be Happy" conspiracy was drummed up to protect big business interests in Africa and prevent the chain reaction it would cause big corporations world wide.
Well that was quite a dramatic reply. Thanks for that.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:37 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
"Well excu-u-use me!" that I didn't read all 562 pages of the thread before posting. Ya know if "Seldom" meant "NEVER" I might feel a little more comfortable. OR if you're a top medical researcher in the field of infectious diseases that could reasure me that you're 100% confident that the Ebola virus would not mutate into something more sinister and that it would stay in Africa, I'd feel better too. So, are you a top researcher and can you guarantee that?

The fact that Obama said the Ebola virus would NEVER reach American soil is testimony that even top American officials who have priviege access to the most sensitive documents and medical information regarding the Ebola virus don't know what's really going on but I suppose you do? The CDC is even confused along with NHI. I wouldn't doubt the "Don't Worry Be Happy" conspiracy was drummed up to protect big business interests in Africa and prevent the chain reaction it would cause big corporations world wide.
Yes, it's a monster thread, but that should suggest to you that perhaps the material in your post might have already been covered. If you do not want to read the whole thing, consider just searching a few key terms before you post. Use the Search button at the top of the page, then search posts..

Ebola mutation in search posts gets you this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=14168010

You might want to read this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/36932279-post4476.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events