Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:05 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Anything to get this crap spread the fastest they can......

THIER ATTEMPT FAILED THE FIRST TIME SO NOW THEY ARE TRYING AGAIN!!
I assume you're talking about those trying to spread Ebola panic? Although I perosnally think they did a pretty good job of spreading fear among the ignorant the first time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Ya they did but thankfully it didnt go much further!!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:27 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,063 times
Why don't they do their trials in Sierra Leone?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Why don't they do their trials in Sierra Leone?
The trial in question is to see whether the vaccine actually produces adequate antibody levels to Ebola; it cannot determine whether it is actually effective against the disease. It is done to justify doing a larger trial to confirm that the vaccine is effective. That would need to be done in an area with a risk of contracting the disease.

Such a study has been done with a different vaccine in Guinea and confirmed high efficacy of that product:

In Interim Results from Phase 3 Study, Merck

Everyone vaccinated within 6 to 10 days of exposure to Ebola was protected.

The same vaccine is also being tested in Sierra Leone.

Sierra Leone Trial to Introduce a Vaccine against Ebola (STRIVE) Q&A | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

As the epidemic in West Africa winds down, vaccine testing will be directed at areas where there is risk of acquiring the disease, but until future outbreaks happen, gauging effectiveness will be more difficult.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:07 PM

137 posts, read 125,734 times
All these Pro Vaccine idiots should jump on this one! Hurry, before you get ebola!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlover View Post
So I was reading on how I could get the new Ebola vaccine here in the united states still not sure if my family and friends would want to get live Ebola virus injected into them or not what do you say?
There is no live Ebola virus in the vaccine, by the way.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:52 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
I believe the reason Fargo was chosen is because there is very little likelihood any one here has been exposed to Ebola, Since the vaccine is experimental and being tested, they wany to be able to demonstrate it will not cause ebola.

Vaccines can be a bit tricky they use a weakened or dead form of the pathogen and the person's own body forms the antibodies that give immunity. In order to show the vaccine is safe, requires test subjects to demonstrate it does cause the disease in some people.

If they were to try to test in an area where there is a possibility of exposure to the disease testing would be inconclusive, as the test subject might already have the disease but had not yet shown symptoms when vaccinated.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
All these Pro Vaccine idiots should jump on this one! Hurry, before you get ebola!
I suspect that people who like facts and numbers with their medical information would tend to know that first-world countries just aren't friendly places for hemorrhagic fevers - like Ebola.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no live Ebola virus in the vaccine, by the way.
Don't forcefully inject facts into the debate, anti-vaxxers hate that.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I believe the reason Fargo was chosen is because there is very little likelihood any one here has been exposed to Ebola, Since the vaccine is experimental and being tested, they wany to be able to demonstrate it will not cause ebola.

Vaccines can be a bit tricky they use a weakened or dead form of the pathogen and the person's own body forms the antibodies that give immunity. In order to show the vaccine is safe, requires test subjects to demonstrate it does cause the disease in some people.

If they were to try to test in an area where there is a possibility of exposure to the disease testing would be inconclusive, as the test subject might already have the disease but had not yet shown symptoms when vaccinated.
The vaccine being tested contains no live Ebola virus. It cannot cause Ebola.

The study is being done to see if the vaccine induces antibodies against Ebola. If it does, additional studies will need to be done to see if it actually prevents disease. those will need to be done in areas where people can actually get Ebola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events