Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...are you kidding? Try keeping the flu from spreading around the house once one person has it. Almost impossible.

They don't know for sure when it actually becomes contagious. And even it that was proven to be true, it is too late, they're in the house with them. Ebola doesn't die like HIV when it is exposed to air, it can remain our surfaces.

They should have not been allowed to go home.

Lot of strange stuff going on in this country. I wouldn't even be surprised if this isn't being allowed to spread.

"Don't let a good crisis go to waste".
The flu is completely different because it's airborne. Even then, it is possible to prevent it from spreading through a household. People are just lazy because the odds of dying from the flu are low. These are medical professionals, not idiots who don't have a clue. If this becomes widespread epidemic, I guarantee the majority of the country will learn very quickly how to protect themselves and their families. Don't you? Should we create a thread in the health forum detailing out how you can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 01:55 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Kathryn's point may not be PC, but it is valid.

The "brain drain" in Africa is a major problem. The best and brightest, who can get an education, do so and leave.

http://www.aracorporation.org/files/factsandfigures.pdf

"According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), Africa has already lost one third of its human capital and is continuing to lose its skilled personnel at an increasing rate, with an estimated 20,000 doctors, university lecturers, engineers and other professionals leaving the continent annually since 1990. There are currently over 300,000 highly qualified Africans in the Diaspora, 30,000 of which have PhDs. At the same time, Africa spends US$4 billion per year (representing 35% of total official development aid to the continent) to employ some 100,000 Western experts performing functions generically described as technical assistance. For example, 90% of private firms in Gabon are managed by expatriates.

"The 1993 UNDP Human Development Report indicated that more than 21,000 Nigerian doctors were practicing in the United States alone while Nigeria suffers from a shortage of doctors. If we were to add the number of Nigerian doctors in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states, Europe, Australia and those in other African countries, the figure would be close to 30,000."

That link appears to be about ten years old.

More recently:

8,000 Nigerian doctors in America, UK, 27,000 practice at home

That is just doctors.

When the skilled people leave and do not come back, there are not enough leaders left to improve the infrastructure of the country. That means even fewer people are able to get an education and get out of poverty. Poverty and associated malnutrition and illness is not conducive to maximizing intellectual ability. IQ scores have to be taken with a grain of salt, however. Were the tests designed specifically for the population studied? Was it administered in the test subject's native language? How were norms calculated?

There are smart and capable Africans. Unfortunately, many of them do not live in Africa.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:57 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Not now because I don't feel exposed to it.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I don't think anyone in the stadium would touch a person who is vomiting and has blood running out from their eyes.
Someone could just have diarrhea and splatter the toilet. Still, I doubt someone with ebola symptoms would feel well enough to go to the game, nor would anyone get near a feces-splattered area.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And again you are generalizing. Liberia has a population of over 4 million.
Are you saying there are no significant differences between Liberian culture in general and US culture in general?

Old 10-03-2014, 02:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The thing is that nasty stadium bathrooms will expose you to feces and urine.
Don't you know how to protect yourself from feces and urine in a public restroom even when you can't see it?

Old 10-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't you know how to protect yourself from feces and urine in a public restroom even when you can't see it?
There will be tons of people coming and going at the football game. Hygiene is going to be much worse than any public restrooms in normal traffic.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:03 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you saying there are no significant differences between Liberian culture in general and US culture in general?
What exactly is the "US culture in general"? Mayberry, the Flat Earth Society, the NFL, video gamers? There is no such thing as one US culture..

Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Of course, donating blood is always a nice touch too. A bit indirect, but always helpful to someone anyway.

"No, Mom, I'm not going to bring your favorite shampoo or those cookies I know you love to the drop off point - but I'll go donate some blood in your name. Hang in there, though!"
Actually, when my own mother was slowly dying of cancer and receiving multiple platelet infusions in an attempt to save her life, we asked that people donate blood in her name. We asked that no one bring cookies to the hospital. Which is pretty much where we lived for several months. (Thankfully we had friends who were sensitive to our requests and more than anxious to comply. As a result they held multiple blood drives and DOZENS of very sick people benefited from the results. People we didn't even know were donating in her name.)

Dying from cancer (or Ebola or AIDS or any other disease that causes the human body to break down in particularly ugly ways) doesn't lend itself to saying, "Oh yum. You brought chocolate chip cookies? For me? Well, aren't you a sweetheart." And the family, who is watching someone they love die, is in no mood to say, "The white chocolate is a nice touch."

Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
See... this is what I was afraid of. Because it is relevant I mention it at all... I am DNA wise pure Senegalese. My IQ is very, very high. Nearly all of my family is very high attainment. An IQ test is essentially a long trivia session. WASP trivia. I could score insanely high on it because I am wired to be attracted to facts and trivia. I am certain that my parents are working with at least the same level of mental hardware as I am. They are, however, more focused individuals. Their generation did not do nearly enough playing and imagining. Perhaps they couldn't because of the prevailing hostilities towards people that look like us.

If a Russian or Ukrainian national were to travel to and/or take up residence in North America they would be accepted as and given all the privileges that come along with being a member of the white race. Russian and Eastern European nationals enjoy careers in Higher Education, IT and Medicine just like expatriates of East and South Asian countries. Lots o Polish women doing the same kinds of work as the Guatemala and Mexican women do in the U.S. Lots of Asians in Hospitality and other non-glamorous careers in the U.S. But... the situation at the Eastern Ukrainian border with Russia... what the hell is that about? You have at least as many dead over there from the civil war as have been killed in Africa by Ebola! Nearly 300 innocents lost their lives in a single attack that came from white people politically opposed to their government. What is the IQ of those morons?

Lets not get completely off the track. The races are so thoroughly mixed now that despite appearances, it cannot be said that any race has the upper hand intellectually, athletically or in any other way is superior or inferior to any other race. Until very recently I lived in the white trash area of West Hillsboro, OR. The amount of filth and unsanitation that some of my neighbors there lived in is not at all much different from conditions in Louise's apartment in Dallas. Disenfranchisement is disenfranchisement. British meddling in Africa for generations, and their subsequent abandonment of the area led to the conditions that you see now there. If Ebola had been a disease affecting white French people, the international response would have been overwhelming. The director of WHO wouldn't be telling them to 'pull up your big boy pants and see to it yourselves'.

Just because black people on City-Data don't make a daily habit of highlighting that portion of white America that is low attainment and "colorful" does not mean that we are not aware that such a population exists. There are high attainment Liberians that could walk off with the top prize on Jeopardy if such a thing were on their radar. I'll leave it there.

H
But you do not live in Senegal, H. How about the rest of your family?

IQ tests are not multiple choice, by the way. Achievement tests are, and they are knowledge based, like the SAT and ACT here in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events