Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:48 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times

Advertisements

What scares me is the thought that there may well be people out there on both sides of the ocean that believe a cure will only be found after the disease spreads to a large number of people in the more affluent parts of the world. If some of those believers are in a position of power we are in for a bad time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 05:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well why didn't they have any food in the house? You're the one with the saying about it isn't your responsibility to feed someone else's monkey.

I guess you can take them out of the third world country, but you can't take the third world out of them.

I wouldn't even trust these people to follow the quarantine.

I came in on the middle of the news story showing the apartment complex, I honestly thought at first it was in a third world country looking at the residents, turns out it was Dallas, TX.
Sigh. What I SAID was that there is a huge Liberian community in Dallas, and the family in question has tons of extended family in the immediate area, and it surprised the heck out of me that at least SOME neighbors or family members or community members didn't take some dang food over to the house for those people. It's not like they had to walk inside the door. Surely there's a place they can leave food (maybe with a health official, or at the leasing office?).

Get this - her DAUGHTER has two kids who are now quarantined. She is free to come and go as she pleases and gave an interview talking about how she was going grocery shopping for her two house bound kids. You'd think she'd have brought her own mother something. Anything.

And maybe she did. Maybe lots of people did, who knows? All I know is that that Louise Troh woman was saying on CNN that she didn't have any food in the house Wednesday. I do know that Monday and Tuesday, she wasn't obeying the quarantine directive - she had no intention of obeying it and was blatant about it, so since she and her family were (in the words of local officials) "challenged in obeying the quarantine directive," they made it a law enforcement issue late Tuesday or Wednesday morning. Surely while she was disobeying the quarantine directive, she could pick up some groceries for the kids in her house. Food was brought to her Wednesday by local groups. The Red Cross delivered TONS of food to her apartment Thursday.

So...there you have it. Who knows what the truth is?

By the way, the expression, "Not my circus, not my monkeys" only applies when people truly cannot help themselves. I don't take on the codependent demands of dysfunctional people. But I DO volunteer in the community, give generously to various causes, and am more than willing to help those who truly are vulnerable or need a hand.

It's not that hard to differentiate between the two situations once one's head is screwed on correctly.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:51 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Because they want it here, or so it would seem based on their actions.
Why?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:52 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,382 times
Kathryn, you are awesome.

Your summary really makes the point we were both discussing earlier in this thread.

Thanks for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here are some facets of US culture:

1. A functional, highly evolved healthcare system
2. A literacy rate of 99 percent of the population
3, A median household income of $54,000
4. A life expectancy of 79.8 years
5. A maternal mortality rate of 21 per 100,000 live births
6. An infant mortality rate of 6 per 1000 live births
7. A teenage pregnancy rate of 31 per 1000 females ages 15-19
8. A birth rate of 2 children per woman

Here are some facets of Liberian culture for comparison:

1. An overwhelmed, understaffed healthcare system where healthcare workers are actually murdered while trying to take care of Ebola patients
2. A literacy rate of 61 percent (54 percent for women)
3. A median household income of $781
4. A life expectancy of 58.5
5. A maternal mortality rate of 770 per 100,000 live births
6. An infant mortality rate of 54 per 1000 live births
7. A teenage pregnancy rate of 117 per 1000 females ages 15-19
8. A birth rate of five children per woman

See the differences?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:58 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It was not political correctness. Being gay at that time was accepted by few people, not the PC thing to do.

I think it was a panic. I remember hearing so much wrong information. I remember when several Cleveland Cavaliers made it a big deal if a player started bleeding during a game, I remember people thinking you could get it by using the same glass or fork, people being afraid to touch an Aids patient, kids not allowed in school, people fired from their jobs, so yes it was a panic.
There was panic, yes. But the fact was that it was primarily in the gay population and where there were large numbers of gays it was spreading faster. Also where there were large numbers of gays they had some political clout, and they used it to keep the places they frequent, like bathhouses open. It wasn't a wide spread PC failure, but where it mattered, it was still there.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:05 PM

21,464 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
What scares me is the thought that there may well be people out there on both sides of the ocean that believe a cure will only be found after the disease spreads to a large number of people in the more affluent parts of the world. If some of those believers are in a position of power we are in for a bad time.
There are people in power in this country who believe that, and their names are Barack Obama and Thomas Frieden, Head of the Centers for Disease Control. And probably quite a few scientists and researchers. I'm sure all the heads of the big pharmaceutical companies can't wait to take a stab at it and make lots of money. Heck, maybe Obama and Frieden are right, but I wonder how they'd feel if it was their children going to one of those Dallas schools?

Old 10-03-2014, 06:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Here are some facets of US culture:

1. A functional, highly evolved healthcare system
2. A literacy rate of 99 percent of the population
3, A median household income of $54,000
4. A life expectancy of 79.8 years
5. A maternal mortality rate of 21 per 100,000 live births
6. An infant mortality rate of 6 per 1000 live births
7. A teenage pregnancy rate of 31 per 1000 females ages 15-19
8. A birth rate of 2 children per woman

Here are some facets of Liberian culture for comparison:

1. An overwhelmed, understaffed healthcare system where healthcare workers are actually murdered while trying to take care of Ebola patients
2. A literacy rate of 61 percent (54 percent for women)
3. A median household income of $781
4. A life expectancy of 58.5
5. A maternal mortality rate of 770 per 100,000 live births
6. An infant mortality rate of 54 per 1000 live births
7. A teenage pregnancy rate of 117 per 1000 females ages 15-19
8. A birth rate of five children per woman

See the differences?
Umm, that is standard of living, not culture.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Sigh. What I SAID was that there is a huge Liberian community in Dallas, and the family in question has tons of extended family in the immediate area, and it surprised the heck out of me that at least SOME neighbors or family members or community members didn't take some dang food over to the house for those people. It's not like they had to walk inside the door. Surely there's a place they can leave food (maybe with a health official, or at the leasing office?).

Get this - her DAUGHTER has two kids who are now quarantined. She is free to come and go as she pleases and gave an interview talking about how she was going grocery shopping for her two house bound kids. You'd think she'd have brought her own mother something. Anything.

And maybe she did. Maybe lots of people did, who knows? All I know is that that Louise Troh woman was saying on CNN that she didn't have any food in the house Wednesday. I do know that Monday and Tuesday, she wasn't obeying the quarantine directive - she had no intention of obeying it and was blatant about it, so since she and her family were (in the words of local officials) "challenged in obeying the quarantine directive," they made it a law enforcement issue late Tuesday or Wednesday morning. Surely while she was disobeying the quarantine directive, she could pick up some groceries for the kids in her house. Food was brought to her Wednesday by local groups. The Red Cross delivered TONS of food to her apartment Thursday.

So...there you have it. Who knows what the truth is?

By the way, the expression, "Not my circus, not my monkeys" only applies when people truly cannot help themselves. I don't take on the codependent demands of dysfunctional people. But I DO volunteer in the community, give generously to various causes, and am more than willing to help those who truly are vulnerable or need a hand.

It's not that hard to differentiate between the two situations once one's head is screwed on correctly.
I know this now Kathryn, I saw them on the news. just lovely. Hard to believe it was TX and not Africa.

And I guess they live like they're still in Liberia.

What they should do is "quarantine" them right out of the country.

Of course they're not going to follow the rules. You have third world people in this country with a third world mindset.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 PM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
As of now I look at this as mass hysteria. I really can't believe all the attention this is getting. It's almost like the planet, in particular the United States, is doomed.

Westchester Infectious Disease Experts: Don't Be Afraid of Ebola | The Yonkers Daily Voice

Excerpt:

Quote:
Dr. Debra Spicehandler, the Co-Chief of Infectious Diseases for Northern Westchester Hospital in Mount Kisco, said Ebola is much harder to catch than the flu, which is transmitted through the air. She says she is more concerned about the enterovirus D68 that has spread to Westchester. You’d have to come in direct contact with an Ebola patient’s bodily fluids, such as blood, urine or sweat, in order to be infected.
Fine, good to be aware, no doubt. And I am happy with the way the Obama administration is handling this.

But as of now this is getting way more press than it should. From evidence that I have heard reported which has been a lot it is very difficult to get.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Umm, that is standard of living, not culture.
You can't have one without the other. It's like asking which came first, the chicken or the egg. If one changes drastically, the other will eventually, but neither side of that coin is independent of the other.

And do you see that there are some major differences between the two countries? You're from Zimbabwe, right? Are you saying that you don't see any differences in the cultures of Zimbabwe and the US?

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-03-2014 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events