Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors
A supposed expert on TV said that the way most of these healthcare workers and other educated people became infected is because the hazmat suits are like 115 degrees inside so they break protocol sometimes.

OH BUT IT'S REALLY HARD TO CATCH.

Obama administration scraps quarantine regulations 4-1-2010
WOW, to break protocol concerning something that has a high mortality rate, incomprehensible!
He said it's because they're working long hours, doing nasty stuff, tired yada yada so they rip off their outfits or part of them and ....[whatever].

I mean really, it makes no sense to me that the guy working for NBC said he may have gotten it "helping" to decontaminate a car.

You're a journalist? Why are you cleaning cars.

Then I read an interview with his mom, he was a typical "save the world" type of guy (no offense to "save the world-ers")- he was alot more emotionally invested than just being "a photographer" or "journalist". Is anybody SURPRISED he's from Rhode Island?

So I guess the occupation was loosely defined. Perhaps Snyderman and company couldn't even find another local person to work with at the time.

Here's what the mom said and what HE POSTED on his Facebook, basically he was just a social worker wandering around Liberia alone "freelancing":

She also said he said he was wearing "MOST OF" the protective outfit cleaning the car.

Quote:
He came home to Providence during the summer, but his mother said he went back to Liberia because of the “incredible impact of the Ebola situation.”

“He felt it was very important to go back and document the impact that this is having, socially and health-wise and financially,” Diana told WBZ.

“He called me the night before he was leaving,” she said. “I was really distraught.”

“Ashoka is very smart, he’s very passionate and he’s very committed and there was no way to change his mind.”

Ashoka Mukpo NBC News Cameraman From Rhode Island Diagnosed With Ebola « CBS Boston

His Facebook Sept 16

ALL HIS FACEBOOK LIKES ARE FAR LEFT PROGRESSIVE CAUSES, TOO LIKE:

ANTI GUN, OPEN SOCIETY, CITIZENS IN CONFLICT , UNITED NATIONS, ENVIRONMENTAL STUFF, SUSTAINABLE TRAVEL (lol)...

man oh man i have seen some bad things in the last two weeks of my life. how unpredictable and fraught with danger life can be. how in some parts of the world, basic levels of help and assistance that we take for granted completely don’t exist for many people. the raw coldness of deprivation and the potential for true darkness that exists in the human experience. i hope that humanity can figure out how we can take care of each other and our world. simple, soft aspiration for all my brothers and sisters on this earth who suffer the elements and the cold. may we all be free, loved, and tended to…

And THAT'S how we get open borders. Emotion no logic. Yes the world needs both but IMO keep your risky behaviors to YOURSELVES.

And THAT'S WHY we can't trust government people or other people with an agenda or some ideological emotional blackmail like accusing US of owing people open borders because of SLAVERY....because their agenda takes priority over reality and common sense. EVEN if it is subconscious which I don't believe it is.

I mean for crying out loud even Obama said right on TV that he is postponing the Exec Order Amnesty because the Mexico border mess has made the country AGAINST IT but he's going to do it anyway after the election. So OK, WE DON'T WANT IT but he's going to DO IT ANYWAY. How much more TRUTH do we need to HEAR??

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-04-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hopefully the link I provided to the exact mask was helpful.

I also hope I was clear enough, on several posts including the first one regarding the masks I purchased, that I was not purchasing these masks to protect myself against "airborne ebola" virus. Of course that's a ridiculous concept.

However, a good mask and goggles could help prevent body fluids from entering one's eyes, nose or mouth. Mainly though, I bought the masks and gloves as protection against airborne viruses in the case of a pandemic of such a nature - as I clearly stated, along with several links showing studies which have proven that using a mask and good handwashing techniques offer additional protection against airborne viruses.

It's not just Ebola we need to prepare to protect ourselves from. It's a good idea, in my opinion, to have items on hand which could be used to protect ourselves and our families from a variety of possible epidemics/pandemics. If we wait till we're in the thick of one, good luck getting the supplies we may need.

Masks and gloves and antibacterial soaps are easy to get our hands on right now, and they're cheap. I think every family should have some on hand in case of an emergency.
Yes, more than helpful. You'll notice my last post was in response to a different poster.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:00 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
[quote=HomeIsWhere...;36744587]We'll all be fine once we accustom ourselves to yet another 'new normal' in America as will the rest of the world when it hits their shores. I think Texas and wherever future incidents (and they are no longer that far off in the future, the door has been opened) such as this occur will be the gateway to getting our protocol uniform and 'down pat' (hopefully) across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There you go. Asked and answered. Thanks! /quote]

Thank you, all of you! I just want to follow this ebola situation and see if it mutates and/or the path of transmission changes or more facts/truths/additions/revelations come out concerning 'all things ebola'.

WOW, to break protocol concerning something that has a high mortality rate, incomprehensible!
Our government is telling us to just wash our hands. The genuis in charge of the CDC wore the same shirt he wore at the apt to a press conference just to make a point. Meanwhile, back at the apt they're wearing hazmat suits and barracading the place with plastic decontamination tents. The government is lying to everyone. Has it started to sink in yet for people?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:06 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Feds squash calls for travel restrictions. Ebola outbreak: Feds squash calls for travel restrictions - SFGate Seems to be a concerted effort by the Government and its subordinate Corporate controlled media to convince the public there is no need for Quarantines or travel restrictions and bans when dealing with Ebola. Why quarantines won’t stop Ebola from spreading in the U.S. - The Washington Post This article from the Washington Post says quarantines are counter productive but later in the same article says quarantine combined with isolation is effective. Isolation and quarantines are basically the same thing with different names. Whats up with this double talk. Are they intentionally trying to confuse the public?
Quarantine as in banning travel is not the same as quarantine as in managing known contacts of people with Ebola. Contact quarantine in Africa has been impossible to achieve due to lack of resources. When implemented properly, it does work. That is how previous outbreaks have been controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Thanks. Now it seems clear to me with so much push back against quarantine is that they want to see how many people can get infected by other people who may have this disease but do not show symptoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I have no problem with the school being cleaned and disinfected. What I have a problem with is that local officials keep telling us it is impossible to get infected without blood, vomit, saliva, semen or sweat from an infected person getting into our bodies through a cut or mucuous membrane. They have completely discounted getting infected from these substances on dried surfaces. Yet they are disinfecting schools, putting the ambulance in quarantine and getting a hazmat cleaning company to clean the apartment. Their actions are in direct contradiction to their assurances.
Material on dried surfaces is not the problem. The issue is vomitus and fecal material still on bedding, carpet, and clothing. There is also the fact that someone ill enough to have diarrhea and vomiting is shedding large amounts of virus. Therefore, the entire living space is cleaned and disinfected.

Disinfecting the school was not necessary. That was strictly to reassure parents, who would have kept their kids home if it had not been done.

The virus causing paralysis in children is not new, it has been present in the US and world-wide forever, was identified in the 1960s, and is not being brought here by immigrants, illegal or otherwise.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:11 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Now it looks like there was no "electronic flaw" preventing the treating physician from knowing the patient had come from Liberia.

Hospital reverses explanation for fumbling Ebola case | Dallas Morning News
They're afraid of being in deep sh*t and trying to push the blame around and making up excuses. Pathetic.

IMO they absolutely SHOULD be held liable if someone gets sick as a result of Duncan wandering around in public for these two days. What they did went beyond simple incompetence to endangering the public, it's gross medical malpractice and negligence.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes, more than helpful. You'll notice my last post was in response to a different poster.
Yes, I noticed that but I figured if you wanted to keep the conversation private and not have others join in, you'd have sent that poster a private message. But I'm glad you didn't, so that we could, together, once again remind our fellow C-D members of the importance of verifying information, taking reasonable precautions, and not falling victim to scam artists or paranoia mongers during such unsettling times.

Bad information is worse than no information most of the time, so thanks once again for the opportunity to discuss the importance of verifying facts and taking reasonable precautions based on facts, not fiction.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:13 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Our government is telling us to just wash our hands. The genuis in charge of the CDC wore the same shirt he wore at the apt to a press conference just to make a point. Meanwhile, back at the apt they're wearing hazmat suits and barracading the place with plastic decontamination tents. The government is lying to everyone. Has it started to sink in yet for people?
The guy who "wore the same shirt" is not "in charge of the CDC". He was Judge Clay Jenkins, director of the county's Homeland Security and Emergency Management. It was to drive home the point that you do not get Ebola from just being in the same air space with someone who has been exposed but has no symptoms.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It sounds like you're coming unhinged. Can't you tell the difference between your corner of the world and the apartment where the ebola patient was staying? You don't need hazmat suits and plastic decontamination tents in your yard. I promise.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:16 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
If you think Ebola is a risk here consider what would happen if it were established in India or even China where sanitation is poor and where people press against one another on busses and trains.

The best way to prevent the spread of this disease is to treat it in west Africa.

The problem with Ebola is that its latent period is weeks long so an infected person can travel a very long distance before showing any symptoms and that person may not know that they have contracted the disease. Case in point: the cameraman working with a US news crew. A member of that news crew is a physician.

Once symptoms develop transmission must come from direct contact, ask how a cameraman who obviously knew of risk factors contracted the disease?

I think that medical scientists have underestimated the transmissibility of this disease. While other diseases, such as malaria, kill more this disease is not dependent on a climate that can be avoided or on an insect/animal someone can protect themselves against.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
We'll all be fine once we accustom ourselves to yet another 'new normal' in America as will the rest of the world when it hits their shores. I think Texas and wherever future incidents (and they are no longer that far off in the future, the door has been opened) such as this occur will be the gateway to getting our protocol uniform and 'down pat' (hopefully) across the country.
Oh awesome. I look forward to having the "new normal" be having to worry about contracting ebola on a regular basis. G-d knows I used to be worried enough about my kid catching the seasonal flu.

And to think the alternative could've been as simple as not accepting West Africans into the country for a few months. Nope, clearly THAT'S not effective, having ebola here and freaking out trying to contain it sounds like a MUCH better solution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events