Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,247,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
There are flights from Liberia that layover in Brussels; it is here that there are connections to the US.

Do you think anything should be done to temporarily restrict those trying to gain entry into the US from the hotbed regions? A quarantine before entry? Any ideas?
Question- are the people coming from Liberia changing planes in Brussels? Are they actually getting off of the aircraft and going into the terminal? If so, isn't there the possibility that they might contaminate someone in the terminal that is getting on another flight to go God knows where in the world. The only hope would be that they are not symptomatic at the time & not contagious. If they are, I don't see how it would be possible to retrace their every step and disinfect everything they touched, or find everyone they may have been in contact with. The passengers they might have infected could be anywhere in the world.
If the west African authorities can't keep potentially infected people off of international flights. Then the flights out need to be stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 02:19 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is why we can't say it SPREAD until it's confirmed. People throw up for all sorts of reasons, even people traveling from Liberia.
Yep, throwing up on planes is fairly common, hence the nifty little bags in every seat back pocket.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had to sit next to someone who was sick on a plane once. It wasn't pretty. And I was on the inside by the window so I was trapped, which was even worse!
I never, never, ever sit in the window seat. It's isle seat all the way for me.

Quote:
I wonder how they got the test results back so quickly this time, when we usually have to wait a day or even longer for the results?
Maybe he doesn't have a fever or any other symptoms aside from vomiting. Maybe they determined he had motion sickness or whatever.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:20 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Can they really tell, THAT fast, that the person didn't have the virus? Or are they just saying that.

Also, if Brussels is the point of departure for people who left Liberia and are headed here, are people in Belgium concerned? Seems like they should be. I think the man who has Ebola was there for seven hours.
I asked the same question - did they actually TEST this guy with an Ebola test, and get negative results back, or did they just rule out Ebola based on other symptoms or the lack thereof, or other factors?

Believe me, I'm no expert on these matters, but we've never gotten results back that quickly. I even did a bit of research on the timing involved in the test and what I could find was "from 12 to 36 hours to get the results."

5,570 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Say it ain't so!

I had to sit next to someone who was sick on a plane once. It wasn't pretty. And I was on the inside by the window so I was trapped, which was even worse!

I wonder how they got the test results back so quickly this time, when we usually have to wait a day or even longer for the results?
My guess is that he didn't have a fever. That's a pretty big indicator. Vomiting without fever is very unlikely to be Ebola.

21,394 posts, read 10,436,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It sounds like you're coming unhinged. Can't you tell the difference between your corner of the world and the apartment where the ebola patient was staying? You don't need hazmat suits and plastic decontamination tents in your yard. I promise.
What are you talking about? I didn't say any such thing. I was noting the difference between what is being said and what is being done. On the one hand, they're saying just wash your hands. Then you see them with the hazmat suits and the plastic tents, and it just doesn't seem like they're being completely honest here. But you go around believing everything you're told. I mean, who are you going to believe, the government or your lying eyes?

By the way, I'm not panicking here. I am continuing to live my life as I normally do, but I do live in Texas and we have a large community of people from West African countries and also oil workers who travel to West African countries. It's not at all out of the realm of possibility for Ebola to make it to my part of Texas. I will continue to be concerned thank you very much.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:23 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,792,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Nice to know there is at least one Texan who is not an uneducated bigot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/04/us/containing-ebola-cdc-troops-west-africa.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&versio n=HpSum&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

It's unfortunate that Mr. Duncan became symptomatic while in Texas. I'm confident that he would not have been discharged, antibiotics in hand, had he sought treatment in the D.C. area.

Karma's a b***h.
Yeah because entire complexes of people of color really PROVE what a bigoted place it is?

Why the racial slurs and hostility? But OK I'll check it out.

What are you even saying? I feel your comment is disrespectful to people of color and their history.

African American have lived in Texas for more than four hundred years—longer than in any other region of the United States. in 1868, Former slaves signed the first state's constitution after the war and forty three African Americans served in the state legislature.

Dallas is:

28% White Only Not Hispanic
42% Hispanic
25% Black Alone
50% White Alone
25% Foreign Born

And the STATE of TEXAS is Minority Majority by 55%.

Dallas (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Do you know the history of African Americans in Texas? Including landmark Supreme Court decisions improving the entire future of African Americans in America. Those cases were argued by black AND white people together.

You're a lawyer right? So you know Smith v. Allwright and Sweatt v. Painter.

TEXAS won that Sweatt v. Painter BEFORE Brown v Board of Ed.

The first black African in Spanish TX was Estevanico in 1527 - the first person from Africa known to have set foot in the present continental United States. Ironically he was a former PORTUGUESE slave. With Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca. Since that time, slavery existed for 40 years.

You might want to google The Black West, Black Frontiers Black Cowboys since 1 in 3 cowboys were black.

You never heard of Barbara Jordan?

That's funny, she was elected to TX STATE office in 1966 and Congress just two years after Shirley Chisholm the FIRST AA woman was elected from NY who was ten years OLDER than Barbara.

Gee it seems bigots in TX were not any further behind the bigots in good old PROGRESSIVE NEW YORK.

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/...articles/pkaan

BTW 10 of the fastest growing major cities with the most AA population growth are in THE SOUTH in the last decade if you include one in Ohio.

FT WORTH TX, a REPUBLICAN city leads the list as the number ONE growing African American population city. You know where Ft Worth is, right? CONTIGUOUS to DALLAS.

10 of the fastest declining major cities LOSING AA population are all in the NORTH/liberal places including good old New York with a 5% loss. Except for AUSTIN and you guessed it! Austin is Liberal central.

Why are black people leaving NYC and other LIBERAL cities and moving SOUTH?

Hmmmmm.....seems the AA community is not in agreement with your premise. It's hilarious though, the conclusion of this study done by TWELVE academics blames immigrants for the population decreasing in Austin. Bigots!

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/insts/iup...rief_FINAL.pdf

Old 10-04-2014, 02:24 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,000,917 times
I wonder if they will retest? Dr Brantly had symptoms and tested negative; it was a subsequent test that showed positive. I don't know how much time went by between tests but he was quarantined after the negative test result.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 6,228,722 times
Quote:
We can get used to lots of these in the upcoming weeks and months.

Wow, I can hardly wait to get on a plane during the holiday season!
I am going round trip JFK from Florida in 2 weeks. The only thing I am afraid of is getting a cold, or the FLU, and people on the plane, thinking I might have Ebola.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:27 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,079,329 times
Update.

Thomas Duncan is getting worse.

Quote:
In Dallas, hospital officials said Saturday that Duncan's condition had been downgraded from serious to critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events