Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:53 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,507 times

Advertisements

Thomas Eric Duncan - the gift that keeps on giving.

While this article says that the hospital in Dallas has come under criticism for sloppy procedures, what about the "leadership" of this country that refuses to stop incoming flights from Ebola-ridden countries?

When does this leadership come under criticism for not safeguarding its citizens?

It's a healt-care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital that is now diagnosed with Ebola. I've got a lot of respect for nurses, doctors and support staff in hospitals, but what's to keep them from going on strike? From walking off their jobs?

And yet we're still permitting flights in from Guinea, Liberia and Seirra Leone.

Health care worker at Dallas hospital tests positive for Ebola | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 05:21 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post

While this article says that the hospital in Dallas has come under criticism for sloppy procedures, what about the "leadership" of this country that refuses to stop incoming flights from Ebola-ridden countries?

When does this leadership come under criticism for not safeguarding its citizens?

It's a healt-care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital that is now diagnosed with Ebola. I've got a lot of respect for nurses, doctors and support staff in hospitals, but what's to keep them from going on strike? From walking off their jobs?

And yet we're still permitting flights in from Guinea, Liberia and Seirra Leone.

That's a real shame. I wish all the best to them. Hopefully early intervention makes a difference.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,507 times
Default SECOND case of Ebola in Texas - health care worker infected by Duncan

Old 10-12-2014, 05:35 AM

187 posts, read 195,312 times
Quote:

Obama has been feeling the heat of not stopping air traffic to and from west Africa a bit more as of late and now this occurs. What is is going to take to have this idiot take action?

I know I know he isn't going to.

A president should instill a sense of calm and provide a plan of action during a time of uncertainty, there is absolutely nothing that indicates he's doing anything like that. If anything the average U.S. citizens anxiety and fear level concerning this is rising extremely rapidly.

What is your plan Mr. President? We're waiting.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
Quote:

I wonder how many ER patients were put at risk while Duncan was there? Also wonder if any of those patients were monitored.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
But is it not obvious that the U.S. and other Western governments are simply using this as a tool to drum-up support for government expansion? The U.S. sent the MILITARY... something it is explicitly forbidden from doing in the constitution and in the founders' original writings, to deal with a social crisis.

Where the hell is the hysteria coming from?

Are you all REALLY that duped into believing whatever the government and media tells you?
1) Social issue? No, this is a health & medical issue; teen pregnancy is a SOCIAL issue; ebola is NOT a social issue.

2) Hysteria? Concern and dialogue about a disease that has now crossed international borders is not, imo, "hysteria".

3) Read every page of this thread and tell me that you really believe that anyone involved in this thread believes "whatever the government and media tells" us.; not for a single minute, hence the "hysteria" as you call it! If we cannot believe the government about their many promises about many issues that they like to boast about why would we trust our health and the potential for an ebola outbreak on our soil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
It's not over hyped at all. It's an unprecedented outbreak. That's a fact. The media is giving exact numbers to people and facts. That's what they're supposed to do. Using traffic statistics is irrelevant. I'm sure if you lived in Monrovia, Liberia you wouldn't be talking about traffic statistics. You'd be scared out of your mind. This is out of control and has potential to kill millions. This is a fact.
I agree with this...no it is not over hyped at all, and NOW the government and CDC have certainly changed their attitude and 'concern' about an outbreak which may show its true colors and an ability to potentially spread and mutate in an entirely 'new' environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
One of my best friends lives in Belo, Cameroon, which is about as close a town to the Nigerian border as there is in Cameroon. Not only is he (and everyone else in his village) not scared whatsoever, they, too, agree with my analysis 100%.
Glad to hear that your friend in Belo, Cameroon agrees with you 100% but that doesn't mean that his comfort level is my comfort level and I do not agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Maybe your friend isn't as worried about it because his country was smart enough to close their border to prevent Ebola from coming there. Our country has been issuing tourist visas to people from these countries experiencing doubling of cases every three weeks of a virus so deadly that it has previously only been allowed in Containment Level Four facilities.

Do I think it will kill many people in the United States? Of course not! But if it kills more than one, it will be too many as it was pretty limited by geography and now has jumped several international borders and been allowed to walk right into this country by the powers that be.
Exactly, his country closed their borders but when talk of doing the same here created an outcry from some that Americans were overreacting; not at all and not enough outcry as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 10-12-2014 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 10-12-2014, 06:05 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
Here is a link to an article in the New England Journal of Medicine where they look at the first 9 months of this disease and in it they make a projection that "at the current rate of increase, assuming no changes in control efforts, the cumulative number of confirmed and probable cases by Nov 2 will exceed 20,000 in total. The true case load, included suspected and undetected cases, will be higher still."

They also determined that the case fatality rate overall was 70.8%.

It also states that as of Sept 14 the doubling rate was 15.7 days in Guinea, 23.6 days in Liberia and 30.2 days in Sierra Leone.

MMS: Error (link does work)

While we know that efforts to control this outbreak have been increasing they are being hampered by the lack of health care workers from outside nations who are willing to go to the affected areas, lack of adequate infrastructure to enable the quick deployment of supplies to the areas needed and finally the weather. It is the rainy season and dealing with all the rain and the mud that comes from it is adding to the difficulty of getting treatment centers up and running.

An article in the New York Times says that in Sierra Leone international health officials recently approved a plan to help families tend to patients at home by providing them with pain killers, rehydrating solution and gloves because the aid arriving was not fast enough or extensive enough to keep up with an outbreak that doubles in size every month or so. This number is consistent with the figures given by the researchers in the NEJM article.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:28 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Default Second Ebola Case in Texas

It's been confirmed via testing that a health-care worker at the hospital where Thomas Eric Duncan recently died after being treated for ebola, has contracted the disease, apparently from Duncan:

State Health Officials: 2nd Ebola Case in Texas - ABC News

Apparently health workers are either not trained properly to protect themselves, or are not being given the right equipment. I did expect another ebola case in Dallas, but figured it would be Duncan's family, not hospital employees.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:39 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Did they combine all the Ebola threads into this one?

Old 10-12-2014, 06:47 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
The people who are around when someone dies of this bug seem to get it the most. The nurse in Spain, multiple doctors, Duncan, etc. This nasty virus almost seems to know when the host is dying and jumps into the next available person. I know that viruses don't work that way, but this one reminds me of the movie "Fallen"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events