Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:55 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times

Advertisements

The religion of peace, again, and again ... (Incidentally every time these morons use 'infidel' technology to broadcast their hate, drive around in a Japanese pick-up truck, they lose.)

Abducted Frenchman apparently beheaded - CNN.com

Last edited by modernist1; 09-24-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 05:06 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
It will be interesting to see how Algeria as a nation responds to this; however, seeing as there were no reports of governmental intervention or even an attempt, it is likely Algeria doesn't care or can't police it's own people. It's probably a matter of time now for a civil war in Algeria, yet again Muslim vs. Muslim.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Algeria was light years ahead of the rest of the world. When 20 years ago nobody knew what an Islamist was they battled them tooth an nail and didn't let them grab power under the guise of democracy.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
This is really sobering to me because it's becoming so global -- young, impressionable, insecure people are jumping on this bandwagon because it's a way of life and a "religion" that promises power and control, which fuels their anger borne out of their outsider or unpopular status. People born in Britain or America or WHEREVER can go to any country and hook up with any one of these underground groups. Just bombing Syria isn't going to crack it; they're just going to keep moving to other areas in the Middle East until they run out of THOSE areas, and then come closer to the West.

And if we could somehow target the "one most-wanted" and kill him, someone else would step right up to the plate in no time. It's very worrying to say the least. It's like upsetting an ant hill. They're all going to come scurrying out.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
The Muslims need to look over their shoulders at its well-armed enemies in the world, if they should ever gang up on them and decide to put an end to their childishness, once and for all!

Let's see, enemies: The Buddhist countries of the world, China, the Christians and Atheists of the world, and a good chunk of Hindu India.

1-2-3, Fire!

Old 09-25-2014, 03:12 AM

The Islamists are tied up in rage. Why? Because on some level they recognize they're on the losing side of history. 7th century Arabia can't help but be a redundant anachronism in the 21st century. Nevertheless, insipid political correctness won't do it - we're at war with these primitives both cultural - and actual.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:36 AM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
Every mention of the word 'islam' or 'muslim' just makes me boil with rage these days. I don't like feeling like this, I'm uncomfortable with the emotional response that it's evoking in me, it makes me suspect I'm being propagandized. This is not a pleasant way to feel and I'm avoiding news sites so I don't have to hear about the latest outrage. I've never wanted to actually kill people or take part in any war before, but the ISIS thing is different. I want a personal hand in killing them and anyone who has any sympathy for them and it makes me feel like a hypocrite, like I'm no better than them. But on the other hand, **** them, they're not innocent. I feel like I could murder every one of them and not lose a wink of sleep.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
This is really sobering to me because it's becoming so global -- young, impressionable, insecure people are jumping on this bandwagon because it's a way of life and a "religion" that promises power and control, which fuels their anger borne out of their outsider or unpopular status. People born in Britain or America or WHEREVER can go to any country and hook up with any one of these underground groups. Just bombing Syria isn't going to crack it; they're just going to keep moving to other areas in the Middle East until they run out of THOSE areas, and then come closer to the West.

And if we could somehow target the "one most-wanted" and kill him, someone else would step right up to the plate in no time. It's very worrying to say the least. It's like upsetting an ant hill. They're all going to come scurrying out.
I share the frustration and disgust with the actions of these extremists. They are giving their religion and their people a horrible reputation. I think the point about most of them being young, insecure people hopping on this anti-western bandwagon is right on. In some respects it reminds me of the problem with gangs in the US, where poor, impressionable young people are drawn to the money and apparent power of the local street gangs.

However, I hope everyone remembers that just as all American young people do not join gangs, all Muslims do not support these pathetic Islamic extremists groups.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Every mention of the word 'islam' or 'muslim' just makes me boil with rage these days. I don't like feeling like this, I'm uncomfortable with the emotional response that it's evoking in me, it makes me suspect I'm being propagandized. This is not a pleasant way to feel and I'm avoiding news sites so I don't have to hear about the latest outrage. I've never wanted to actually kill people or take part in any war before, but the ISIS thing is different. I want a personal hand in killing them and anyone who has any sympathy for them and it makes me feel like a hypocrite, like I'm no better than them. But on the other hand, **** them, they're not innocent. I feel like I could murder every one of them and not lose a wink of sleep.
Re a kneejerk reaction, I think it's important to remember there are plenty of good people who happen to be Muslim. Re the Islamists, I'd try to avoid rage and go for steely resolve. It's an ongoing - and asymmetrical war. Re ISIS I'm in my 60s but if there was some kind of call-up, I wouldn't hesitate. Those people stand for everything against Western democratic values - what they used to call 'the civilized world'.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:29 PM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Re a kneejerk reaction, I think it's important to remember there are plenty of good people who happen to be Muslim. Re the Islamists, I'd try to avoid rage and go for steely resolve. It's an ongoing - and asymmetrical war. Re ISIS I'm in my 60s but if there was some kind of call-up, I wouldn't hesitate. Those people stand for everything against Western democratic values - what they used to call 'the civilized world'.
It's so hard to judge how many of them are something to worry about - not necessarily terrorist , but people who would ultimately support the imposition of shariah if there were ever enough of them to enforce it. I think it's a lot more than we're told, perhaps not in the west just yet, but certainly in the middle east. I am concerned about my country (the UK) eventually being overrun and I can't work out whether that means I'm clever or stupid, paranoid or rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events