Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 02:08 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This is what happens when you don't have a place to put your gun down when in the bathroom. BTW, this is a 3 week old story. I suggest the OP to get with the times.

Yep, it is.

But, I'm going to comment.

As a high school teacher, hunter and hunting/firearms safety instructor I would not want teachers to be armed at school.

Not because there are teachers who are idiots (they are legion, by the way) but because, even if the teacher is authorized by the school board to carry and it's not supposed to be common knowledge, there will always be a moron Vice Principal who will tell the kids.

When that happens, no matter the school, there will always be a kid or three whose sole goal in life will become figuring out a way to get that gun from the teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 02:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Fine. Just have armed security guards at entrances like they do here in Chicago. Well, I don't think they are ARMED here, but it would be a start. Security checkpoint exist at other public places, I see no reason why schools can't have them.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Utah teacher wasn't the only one who suffered a wound from an accidental discharge. Earlier in the week, a university teacher in Idaho shot himself in the foot during a lecture in class when the pistol in his pocket discharged.

Guns go off accidentally all the time. Especially the semi-automatic pistols, some of which have no safeties, such as the Glock.

Carrying a concealed weapon doesn't require a good holster. Anyone with a license can carry one in a sock, shoved down the back of the pants or a skirt, loose in a jacket pocket, a purse, or anywhere else. Safety and security is totally optional.

If a teacher wants to carry a gun, I have no problems with open carrying in a safety holster. There are many good ones that make it very hard for a gun to fall out or be grabbed. Concealed carrying is a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later, a student is going to get hit.

And there goes the teacher's job forever, along with a million dollar lawsuit the school will have to pony up for allowing this nonsense to happen.
"some of which have no safeties, such as the Glock." I
IIRC most Glocks are "double action". IOW the trigger MUST be pulled in order to fire it. I don't know thestatistics but I would bet the farm that the incidents of accidental discharges with Glocks is one of the lowest of all make/model of firearms. I do not own a Glock so if I am wrong how about some of you Glock owners filling us in?

GL2

Old 09-26-2014, 05:16 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
If one feels that their child's teacher needs a gun for "protection" and "to protect others", maybe they should just get their kid a bulletproof vest and a pistol for school.

As for teachers getting beat up by "thugs"....teachers impregnate and get impregnated by underage students. This doesn't mean we go snip-snip on the teachers or give them chastity belts.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:45 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
If the kids had been armed, one of them could have taken her out before she started firing recklessly.
LOL, man!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:32 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
The article doesn't say what kind of weapon was involved, or how the accident occurred. May not apply in this case, but carrying a handgun with a round in the chamber raises the risk factor a bit. Doesn't take that long to charge a semi auto, or pull the hammer back on a revolver.
You do not know what you are talking about!

Tell me, what you do if you are right handed, but your left arm/hand has been damaged due to a bullet, tire iron, baseball bat, etc. (get the idea?), and you have to pull your gun and defend yourself and there is NO round in the chamber of your Sig?

Can you cycle the receiver back? Sure, but most likely not with your left hand, you will need your foot, a door jamb, a chair, etc., and believe me that not only takes time it takes some practice and I trained on that many times, and it takes seconds, seconds you might not have.

And at times when someone confronts you and you need to fire immediately, you do not have the time to cycle the receiver, you need to be able to pull, aim and fire.

Whether or not a person carries a semi with or without a round in the chamber is their decision. I could really care less since it will never affect me since I will never rely on you to protect me. However, saying it doesn't take long to charge is not a true statement in the majority of cases.

As for the teacher....mistake was made and no excuse. And as much as I hate to say it, how many law enforcement officers in the USA have accidentally fired their weapons in a classroom environment?
Look at .40, just after he says he is the only one professional enough to carry a Glock .40 (and this one hurts since he was a DEA agent).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

There are others too, just do a google.

And UT has allowed teachers to carry for many years and the record is pretty clean.And I have neighbors who are not in LE, who carry into schools all the times for their kids' events, to pick them up, PTA meetings, etc., and it is not only legal, it is what is needed in this day-and-age. Since the nut job who decides to do a shooting in a school is not going to worry about if it is legal or not.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This teacher managed to shoot herself in the leg carrying a gun to school.

I personally don't want teachers packing a gun around a bunch of kids. The problem is that there isn't much that can be done about it because of some of the conceal carry laws.

I don't consider myself "anti-gun". I own guns. I shoot guns. I have hunted deer, pheasants, and ducks. I love to shoot clay pigeons with a shotgun. However, I think guns have their place and its either on the shooting range, in the field, or in a locked cabinet.

And, for any wise *ss who asks, "No, I'm not afraid of my child being attacked by terrorists while at public school". I'm more concerned about them being accidentally shot by a clumsy teacher at school.

http://www.newsweek.com/utah-teacher...-anyone-269923
You do understand that the 2nd amendment isn't about hunting or target shooting, don't you?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:02 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You do understand that the 2nd amendment isn't about hunting or target shooting, don't you?
You do understand that nowhere in the Second Amendment is some regulation of firearms precluded, don't you? For example, would you argue that five year old children have a right to possess loaded guns?

I don't want teachers carrying loaded firearms around my children. I'd like to know which ones are doing it. If no change can be made, I may opt for homeschooling or private schooling.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You do understand that nowhere in the Second Amendment is some regulation of firearms precluded, don't you? For example, would you argue that five year old children have a right to possess loaded guns?

I don't want teachers carrying loaded firearms around my children. I'd like to know which ones are doing it. If no change can be made, I may opt for homeschooling or private schooling.
I didn't say anything about regulation. I just think it is funny when someone claims not to be anti-gun because: " I own guns. I shoot guns. I have hunted deer, pheasants, and ducks. I love to shoot clay pigeons with a shotgun." I simply pointed out that the 2nd amendment wasn't to make sure that you could hunt and target shoot.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:12 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
You do not know what you are talking about!

Tell me, what you do if you are right handed, but your left arm/hand has been damaged due to a bullet, tire iron, baseball bat, etc. (get the idea?), and you have to pull your gun and defend yourself and there is NO round in the chamber of your Sig?

Can you cycle the receiver back? Sure, but most likely not with your left hand, you will need your foot, a door jamb, a chair, etc., and believe me that not only takes time it takes some practice and I trained on that many times, and it takes seconds, seconds you might not have.

And at times when someone confronts you and you need to fire immediately, you do not have the time to cycle the receiver, you need to be able to pull, aim and fire.

Whether or not a person carries a semi with or without a round in the chamber is their decision. I could really care less since it will never affect me since I will never rely on you to protect me. However, saying it doesn't take long to charge is not a true statement in the majority of cases.

As for the teacher....mistake was made and no excuse. And as much as I hate to say it, how many law enforcement officers in the USA have accidentally fired their weapons in a classroom environment?
Look at .40, just after he says he is the only one professional enough to carry a Glock .40 (and this one hurts since he was a DEA agent).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

There are others too, just do a google.

And UT has allowed teachers to carry for many years and the record is pretty clean.And I have neighbors who are not in LE, who carry into schools all the times for their kids' events, to pick them up, PTA meetings, etc., and it is not only legal, it is what is needed in this day-and-age. Since the nut job who decides to do a shooting in a school is not going to worry about if it is legal or not.
Geez, that was painful to watch. Painfully embarrassing, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events