Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I don't want teachers carrying loaded firearms around my children.
Fine, the gunman is trying to break in your kids classroom and police are "on their way". What's your suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 10:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I think the USA has taken a wrong turn if teachers need to have guns on them.

Perhaps everyone should assess exactly why is it teachers need guns, and address that.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:46 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
The article doesn't say what kind of weapon was involved, or how the accident occurred. May not apply in this case, but carrying a handgun with a round in the chamber raises the risk factor a bit. Doesn't take that long to charge a semi auto, or pull the hammer back on a revolver.
You've just demonstrated your total ignorance of the subject at hand.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Fine, the gunman is trying to break in your kids classroom and police are "on their way". What's your suggestion?
Maybe the teacher could yell throught the door, that this is a gun free zone and the gunman is going to be in big trouble.
I find it weird that we live in a country that will protect money with armed guards but not our children.

Bill

Old 09-28-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Utah teacher wasn't the only one who suffered a wound from an accidental discharge. Earlier in the week, a university teacher in Idaho shot himself in the foot during a lecture in class when the pistol in his pocket discharged.

Guns go off accidentally all the time. Especially the semi-automatic pistols, some of which have no safeties, such as the Glock.

Carrying a concealed weapon doesn't require a good holster. Anyone with a license can carry one in a sock, shoved down the back of the pants or a skirt, loose in a jacket pocket, a purse, or anywhere else. Safety and security is totally optional.

If a teacher wants to carry a gun, I have no problems with open carrying in a safety holster. There are many good ones that make it very hard for a gun to fall out or be grabbed. Concealed carrying is a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later, a student is going to get hit.

And there goes the teacher's job forever, along with a million dollar lawsuit the school will have to pony up for allowing this nonsense to happen.
You can always count on steaming piles of feces like this to show up any time guns are the topic.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
"some of which have no safeties, such as the Glock." I
IIRC most Glocks are "double action". IOW the trigger MUST be pulled in order to fire it. I don't know thestatistics but I would bet the farm that the incidents of accidental discharges with Glocks is one of the lowest of all make/model of firearms. I do not own a Glock so if I am wrong how about some of you Glock owners filling us in?

GL2
Quote:
IOW the trigger MUST be pulled in order to fire it.
Can you name any gun in existence where that isn't the case?

Old 09-28-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
You do not know what you are talking about!

Tell me, what you do if you are right handed, but your left arm/hand has been damaged due to a bullet, tire iron, baseball bat, etc. (get the idea?), and you have to pull your gun and defend yourself and there is NO round in the chamber of your Sig?

Can you cycle the receiver back? Sure, but most likely not with your left hand, you will need your foot, a door jamb, a chair, etc., and believe me that not only takes time it takes some practice and I trained on that many times, and it takes seconds, seconds you might not have.

And at times when someone confronts you and you need to fire immediately, you do not have the time to cycle the receiver, you need to be able to pull, aim and fire.

Whether or not a person carries a semi with or without a round in the chamber is their decision. I could really care less since it will never affect me since I will never rely on you to protect me. However, saying it doesn't take long to charge is not a true statement in the majority of cases.

As for the teacher....mistake was made and no excuse. And as much as I hate to say it, how many law enforcement officers in the USA have accidentally fired their weapons in a classroom environment?
Look at .40, just after he says he is the only one professional enough to carry a Glock .40 (and this one hurts since he was a DEA agent).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

There are others too, just do a google.

And UT has allowed teachers to carry for many years and the record is pretty clean.And I have neighbors who are not in LE, who carry into schools all the times for their kids' events, to pick them up, PTA meetings, etc., and it is not only legal, it is what is needed in this day-and-age. Since the nut job who decides to do a shooting in a school is not going to worry about if it is legal or not.

And....the beat goes on. The total ignorance continues. I wonder if you can post any links or information regarding how one "cycles the receiver" on their Sig. I'll lwait.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think the USA has taken a wrong turn if teachers need to have guns on them.

Perhaps everyone should assess exactly why is it teachers need guns, and address that.
I don't think the U.S. has taken a wrong turn, but the world as a whole. lunatics that would shoot up a school are mearly taking a look at terrorist worldwide on the dozen or so 24hour news channels, what better way to become infamous that to hit soft targets.
The real wrong turn we are making is by refusing to see the truth of the world we live in and taking measures to protect ourselves from a world heading head long in WWIII.
A "gun free zone" sign is not going to save your child from Isis or the crazy kid down the street.

Bill

Old 09-28-2014, 09:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
I don't think the U.S. has taken a wrong turn, but the world as a whole. lunatics that would shoot up a school are mearly taking a look at terrorist worldwide on the dozen or so 24hour news channels, what better way to become infamous that to hit soft targets.
The real wrong turn we are making is by refusing to see the truth of the world we live in and taking measures to protect ourselves from a world heading head long in WWIII.
A "gun free zone" sign is not going to save your child from Isis or the crazy kid down the street.

Hysterical much?

What none of you supporters of teachers carrying guns to school ever do is look at any actual facts. You think of a tragedy like Sandy Hook and than that colors all your perceptions.

This is a study that indicates from 1980 to present there are at least 30 documented cases of teachers wrongfully discharging a firearm at school. Wrongfully would be defined as discharging it for any reason other than self-defense. In some cases there were injuries, in other cases just terrified people.

The study also shows that if we look at crime rates as a whole that less than 2% of all youth homicides occur at a school. Ninety-eight percent occur at some other venue. Considering the number of waking hours that a youth spends in school, less than 2% is doing pretty good.

The rate of homicides at schools has actually decreased, despite some highly publicized tragedies like Sandy Hook.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of people who raise some "Terrorist Bogeyman" as a justification for doing all kinds of crazy things. Auto accidents result in about 30,000 to 40,000 deaths per year in America. Last year, no one could be classified as having been killed by a terrorist. If we want to prevent unnecessary deaths in this country, its clear our focus should be on automobile safety and not on terrorism prevention.

By all means respond if you want. However, how about citing some authority other than a half-baked opinion of your own?

http://homicidecenter.org/wp-content...PORT-FINAL.pdf

Last edited by markg91359; 09-28-2014 at 09:36 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That said, I'm kind of torn on the issue because of all the school shootings. A teacher who is a cool head and a good shot could be a nice thing to have around if some maniac decides to go postal. Many of the teachers I had though- well, I wouldn't trust them to carry a beer, let alone a firearm.
Well, it is one thing to have police officers assigned to schools. That makes sense. It was one of the President's executive orders (the ones the after Sandyhook, the ones that the Tea Party complained about), to get more "school resource officers" in schools.

But whoever has the firearms for defense should be separate people from the ones who interact with the kids for educational purposes.

And gun nuts always think if you resist their ideas that you don't know anything about firearms, so for the record, I stood armed watches topside on the two submarines I was on in the Navy. I'm qualified on M16A3, M14, M9 and Mossberg 12 ga shotgun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events