Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

This teacher managed to shoot herself in the leg carrying a gun to school.

I personally don't want teachers packing a gun around a bunch of kids. The problem is that there isn't much that can be done about it because of some of the conceal carry laws.

I don't consider myself "anti-gun". I own guns. I shoot guns. I have hunted deer, pheasants, and ducks. I love to shoot clay pigeons with a shotgun. However, I think guns have their place and its either on the shooting range, in the field, or in a locked cabinet.

And, for any wise *ss who asks, "No, I'm not afraid of my child being attacked by terrorists while at public school". I'm more concerned about them being accidentally shot by a clumsy teacher at school.

http://www.newsweek.com/utah-teacher...-anyone-269923
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
If the kids had been armed, one of them could have taken her out before she started firing recklessly.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:53 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
It's a good thing that the teacher didn't just misplace the gun where a kid could have picked it up. At least it's only the teacher who was shoot. Accidents happen but guns in school with adults isn't making me warm and fuzzy.

Guns are instant and final ,,,, there are no do-overs...

Old 09-26-2014, 01:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
The other day I read something about a cop whose two year old son grabbed his gun and fired it in a fast food joint. Now if this can happen to a trained police officer, I shudder to think what might happen in Miss Dingleberry's kindergarten classroom.

That said, I'm kind of torn on the issue because of all the school shootings. A teacher who is a cool head and a good shot could be a nice thing to have around if some maniac decides to go postal. Many of the teachers I had though- well, I wouldn't trust them to carry a beer, let alone a firearm.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:45 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
The article doesn't say what kind of weapon was involved, or how the accident occurred. May not apply in this case, but carrying a handgun with a round in the chamber raises the risk factor a bit. Doesn't take that long to charge a semi auto, or pull the hammer back on a revolver.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This teacher managed to shoot herself in the leg carrying a gun to school.

I personally don't want teachers packing a gun around a bunch of kids. The problem is that there isn't much that can be done about it because of some of the conceal carry laws.

I don't consider myself "anti-gun". I own guns. I shoot guns. I have hunted deer, pheasants, and ducks. I love to shoot clay pigeons with a shotgun. However, I think guns have their place and its either on the shooting range, in the field, or in a locked cabinet.

And, for any wise *ss who asks, "No, I'm not afraid of my child being attacked by terrorists while at public school". I'm more concerned about them being accidentally shot by a clumsy teacher at school.

So you may not be anti gun, but you are anti gun if it is for protection purposes.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
how many teachers have to be beat up at school before you agree to let them defend themselves from your "children"?????
the problem is parents of these "children" dont have a problem with these thugs beating up teachers.
enough.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:21 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
The Utah teacher wasn't the only one who suffered a wound from an accidental discharge. Earlier in the week, a university teacher in Idaho shot himself in the foot during a lecture in class when the pistol in his pocket discharged.

Guns go off accidentally all the time. Especially the semi-automatic pistols, some of which have no safeties, such as the Glock.

Carrying a concealed weapon doesn't require a good holster. Anyone with a license can carry one in a sock, shoved down the back of the pants or a skirt, loose in a jacket pocket, a purse, or anywhere else. Safety and security is totally optional.

If a teacher wants to carry a gun, I have no problems with open carrying in a safety holster. There are many good ones that make it very hard for a gun to fall out or be grabbed. Concealed carrying is a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later, a student is going to get hit.

And there goes the teacher's job forever, along with a million dollar lawsuit the school will have to pony up for allowing this nonsense to happen.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
This is what happens when you don't have a place to put your gun down when in the bathroom. BTW, this is a 3 week old story. I suggest the OP to get with the times.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

That's because that scenario is probably more likely that a mass shooting. Shootings happen every single hour, not in just binge killings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events