Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM

893 posts, read 885,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Fulltime student, two jobs--I still volunteer ~10 hours a month. I know a lot of people up here in "young idealist Obamacrat" land who have regular volunteer positions.

Is the lack of volunteerism split down party lines, by the way? Are liberals volunteering less than conservatives? I doubt it. Volunteering isn't--or shouldn't be--a partisan issue.
It has been proven that the right is much more generous with their charity than the left. That is beyond debate. Yes, that goes against what the White House and the media want everyone to believe.

Religious folks give huge chunks of time and money to the needy.

So, I agree, it shouldn't be a partisan issue but that is what the left is using as a dishonest arrow in their quiver. It's working. Unfortunately. But hey, they have been winning elections with it so that's good enough for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,840 times
I volunteered full time for 10 months through a government program called AmeriCorps when I was 19. The experience changed my life, and while I cannot say every project we had a hand in could be considered "taxpayer worthy", it helped pay for education that put me on a path to get a skilled job I otherwise would probably not have.

But now I have a family, a house to maintain, and sporadic overtime which makes volunteering more difficult than it once was.

I believe mandatory community service/service learning programs for young people can make a real difference for communities for a multitude of reasons.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
It has been proven that the right is much more generous with their charity than the left. That is beyond debate. Yes, that goes against what the White House and the media want everyone to believe.

Religious folks give huge chunks of time and money to the needy.

So, I agree, it shouldn't be a partisan issue but that is what the left is using as a dishonest arrow in their quiver. It's working. Unfortunately. But hey, they have been winning elections with it so that's good enough for them.
I hate to tell you this but the first partisan post came from a conservative. The second partisan post came from you. So, who's using the dishonest arrow here?

Old 09-29-2014, 03:11 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,840 times
If we're measuring partisan d*cks this thread is already over. I've worked besides all kinds of people and this crap doesn't even make the list of things to worry about when working towards a common goal.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I hate to tell you this but the first partisan post came from a conservative. The second partisan post came from you. So, who's using the dishonest arrow here?
what the heck does "first" or "2nd" post matter.

Dishonest? I just presented you with facts. Feel free to dispute it with facts. Don't worry, I know how this ends. See you later.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Your attempt to shut down this discussion notwithstanding, it is most certainly not beyond debate.
http://www.michelemargolis.com/uploads/2/0/2/0/20207607/pe_charitable_giving.pdf

Even the American Conservative admits it is not true.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-giving-gap-is-not-ideological-its-theological/

The unpleasant (for you) facts above make obvious the motive behind your urgent desire to shut down the discussion of this issue.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On a side note, I don't live in an America in decline.

The America in which I live is the same America that has been around for over two centuries. It changes, yes. There is sometimes a step backwards for every two or three steps forward, yes. But in decline? No. Certainly not.

The problem is that a great many people, wedded to the past, disliking the present because it is not the past, and utterly terrified of the future because it promises to be even more unlike the past they treasure, mistake their own subjective preferences for an objective assessment of decline.

I buy into none of that self-absorbed nonsense.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:30 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
what the heck does "first" or "2nd" post matter.

Dishonest? I just presented you with facts. Feel free to dispute it with facts. Don't worry, I know how this ends. See you later.
You presented your opinion, nothing more. This is a thread about volunteering, not politics. Stay on topic.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Your attempt to shut down this discussion notwithstanding, it is most certainly not beyond debate.
http://www.michelemargolis.com/uploads/2/0/2/0/20207607/pe_charitable_giving.pdf

Even the American Conservative admits it is not true.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-giving-gap-is-not-ideological-its-theological/

The unpleasant (for you) facts above make obvious the motive behind your urgent desire to shut down the discussion of this issue.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Certainly spin in there. I could show you tons of info showing the opposite. Not only just recently but historically. Particularly with the Obama, Biden and Kerry and their measly history donations. Of course, 2012 Obama beefed his up just for political gain.

Sorry but liberals are simply more generous with other peoples money.

My whole point here, which everyone should start agreeing with, is that this administration is sending the wrong message to our citizens and demonizing the successful. It's working on the uninformed.

/rant.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Me personally, between working 42 hours a week, half-time in grad school, having a social life, and needing to rest once in a while, I just don't have the time or energy.
Your the poster who got a 100% free ride through college thanks to people who donated money to scholarships for kids who came from underprivileged backgrounds.

Ever hear of paying it forward? Cut back a few hours a month on your social life and give back.

As Maya Angelou said " you can't go through life with a catcher's mitt on, sometimes you have to throw something back".

Old 09-29-2014, 04:36 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your the poster who got a 100% free ride through college thanks to people who donated money to scholarships for kids who came from underprivileged backgrounds.

Ever hear of paying it forward? Cut back a few hours a month on your social life and give back.

As Maya Angelou said " you can't go through life with a catcher's mitt on, sometimes you have to throw something back".
Free ride? That is news to me. I have student loans like most of Gen Y does. Plus I donate money to causes I feel merit it. Just as good as time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events