Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownGirl19 View Post
The point is not everybody is prepared to deal with nor wants the baggage that comes with having a mixed race child. It has nothing to do with genetic superiority. Just because they don't relate to black culture doesn't make them racists. I have an Indian friend whose parents are adamant about her marrying within her ethnic culture, but as soon as a white person gives the slightest impression of rejecting anything that is black they're automatically a card carrying member of the KKK.

I do agree that if they aren't going to give this baby a loving home then they absolutely should put her up for adoption.
Exactly and considering that race issues are all around us these days especially because of the media I can understand why some people feel uncomfortable.

If it was a black women who was a lesbian and had a white baby I'm sure a black community might give her some bad looks as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I am surprised there is such blatant racism in Ohio. Folks try to say racism is a southern thing.
It depends on where in Ohio you are, some areas are very progressive and tolerant and some are like Mississippi, complete with klansmen distributing racist fliers.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownGirl19 View Post
I agree, what's so racist about it? She wanted a white kid. She ended up with a black kid. That's not what she paid for. Now she's stuck with something she didn't want. I'd sue the sperm bank as well.

Actually she ended up with a biracial child (not a "black kid") who is half HER and half a stranger she never intended to meet.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I'm trying to comprehend a community that would have such negative attitudes towards a mixed-race child, but is seemingly quite comfortable with a lesbian couple as the child's parents.
I don't believe that for a moment, to be honest.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. Biracial kids are subjected to all kinds of discrimination that neither whites NOR blacks experience. These children don't fit into either group and are often shunned because of this. I am biracial and lesbian myself and have experienced this firsthand. Wanting a child who doesn't have to live with this discrimination from the moment he/she is born isn't wrong at all. The fact that they are a lesbian couple is irrelevant.
And you don't have a problem that this child is suffering from birth from her own "parents" what you claim to have suffered yourself?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Exactly and considering that race issues are all around us these days especially because of the media I can understand why some people feel uncomfortable.

If it was a black women who was a lesbian and had a white baby I'm sure a black community might give her some bad looks as well.
This was a bi-racial kid. Light skinned babies happen even to dark skinned couples sometimes. If she got any "bad looks" in a black community, it would be because of her lesbian partner, not her light-skinned child.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,601 times
white people problems.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This was a bi-racial kid. Light skinned babies happen even to dark skinned couples sometimes. If she got any "bad looks" in a black community, it would be because of her lesbian partner, not her light-skinned child.
I've seen and heard of light skinned black kids getting negative remarks from other blacks because they are light skin. They make the comment that they are not a true black african american and have too much white in them.

So yes, you're right that some black couples do have light skinned kids. But even those light skinned kids can experience negative remarks because of there light skin.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I've seen and heard of light skinned black kids getting negative remarks from other blacks because they are light skin. They make the comment that they are not a true black african american and have too much white in them.

So yes, you're right that some black couples do have light skinned kids. But even those light skinned kids can experience negative remarks because of there light skin.
And people will make fun of overweight kids, kids who wear glasses, kids with disabilities, kids with red hair, kids with big noses, kids who are tall, short, you name it.

So what? The best thing a parent can do in that case is teach a child to have strong self esteem, and to carry themselves with dignity - NOT sue someone. Please...so tacky of these parents.

I'm disgusted by the entire thing.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I don't see racism at all. I see a mother who worries about her beloved child and how her heritage will affect her development in her present location.
I see a mother who is determined to make sure this doesn't happen to anybody else.
I see a business with unimaginable lax and faulty procedures in place which would even allow such a thing to happen.

People who are saying she should have put the child up for adoption are very insensitive. This couple wanted children enough to go this route. Imagine the stress this caused during her pregnancy..the worry they both had about the well being of their child.

They never should have been in this situation in the first place and the fact they are seeking money does not make them greedy or money grubbing. It means the sperm bank and others are on notice to get their acts together and it means the couple are doing whatever is necessary to ensure their daughter has every opportunity for happiness and that they have the resources to handle the situation in the best way.

If they got the sperm from a hospital they would be suing for medical malpractice. A huge mistake was made and they should be compensated.

BTW we are a caucasian couple with 3 adopted Asian daughters. We were living in south georgia at the time all three were adopted and there was no way I would have brought a mixed race child into that community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events