Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:44 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,377 times

Advertisements

Yes, rather than take them seriously when they are a fairly serious threat to interests in the region, attempt to demean them with elementary school level name-calling! That'll work for sure.

They should be called whatever name they want to be called, because rather than a bunch of rag-tag terrorists hiding in another country, they want to form their own. When they form their own, war can be declared on it, rather than declared on a silly little idea like terrorism. And then they can be crushed in the mud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 06:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
They could care less what they are called. First, they don't speak english as the native language or that accepted by them as representative of them.

Do you really believe that they give one ounce of caring what someone calls them? If so, then that is a gross miscalculation.

Do you think murderers care that you call them evil, scum or anything like that? My goodness, they are killing people and you think they care what you call them?

They don't care what you think or what you say, about anything including them. That is thinking they think like you think. Big mistake.

If you never said a word about them, they'd kill you just the same.
It's called "marketing" and it is VERY important to them. But don't take my word for it - NPR did the research for me.

Quote:
...the militant organization is waging a propaganda war — and what name it goes by is part of that war.
ISIS, ISIL Or Islamic State: What's In A Name? : Parallels : NPR

And Huffington Post says this, regarding their moniker and their marketing:
ISIS vs ISIL -- What's in a Name?*|*Howard Barbanel
Personally I think their reasons for "preferring ISIS over ISIL" are sort of lame, but they do drive home the fact that it does matter what the group is called.

This is a good article on the various names and their meanings. Get this - names do have meanings, and confer identities and ideas. From the article - WOW, here's an Arabic guy, who doesn't speak English as his native language, and doesn't accept us as representative of anyone or anything Islamic, and he certainly cares what we call ISIL:

Quote:
And Egypt's al-Azhar, the top authority in Sunni Islam, has urged foreign media to stop referring to the militants as the Islamic State. - See more at: ISIS, ISIL, Islamic State: What's behind the group's many names? | Middle East Eye
And finally, speaking of language - did you ever stop to think that the guy who's always grinding people's heads off with a butcher knife in those slick videos of beheadings speaks English very fluently and with a BRITISH (not Arabic) accent? Well, I do declare - it seems that English is his native language! Whoduthunkit?

Their videos are marketing, their recruitment tactics are marketing, and their name is marketing. This group is much more sophisticated than their predecessors, and they are raking in about $3M a day.

They care what people call them.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,923 times
I just DAESHED in my pants....

Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,932 times
Quote:
They could care less what they are called. First, they don't speak english as the native language or that accepted by them as representative of them.

Do you really believe that they give one ounce of caring what someone calls them? If so, then that is a gross miscalculation.

Do you think murderers care that you call them evil, scum or anything like that? My goodness, they are killing people and you think they care what you call them?

They don't care what you think or what you say, about anything including them. That is thinking they think like you think. Big mistake.

Well, it's not just about what they care about (many recruits do speak English, and are native speakers), but also about us agreeing to call them by a 'credible' name.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 AM

266 posts, read 285,548 times
This is some 'freedom fries' level stuff.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Eliminate them and call them gone and forgotten.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Eliminate them and call them gone and forgotten.
Best plan yet.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:35 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,197 times
Default Orcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
The French have got the right idea - they call ISIL/ISIS 'Daesh' - an apparently insulting name that the Islamists hate. ISIS or ISIL, which includes the word 'state' gives too much credibility to a bunch of idiots. It's long struck me as ironic that these Islamofacists who despise and disparage everything Western, are happy to use 'infidel' technology (after all if their god is so great, why use the devil's tools?). Each time they use a computer designed in Silicon Valley, or drive around in a Japanese truck, they lose. I suggest a name like Primitives Who Use Infidel Technology - PWUIT - or something similar. Any ideas are welcome. I think it's a mistake just to be insulting, pointing out their extreme hypocrisy I think is more useful. Failing anything else, I'd go with Daesh.

Orcs

Old 10-06-2014, 08:38 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:

Well stated.

While people here are playing games over what to call them, or worry about being politically correct, these "idiots" as you all like to call them have sucked us back into an unwinnable war costing billions of dollars and already costing American lives.

Make no mistake about it, this foe is extremely bright, extremely well funded, and has managed to manipulate a world power into doing exactly what they desire. They really don't care what we call them, nor do they care about our bombing and other military shenanigans. As soon as we tire, whether it be five years or 50, they will resume their march to worldwide power.

These are NOT the people you think they are, nor are they concerned about sacrificing a few million lives to accomplish their objectives.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Quote:
While people here are playing games over what to call them, or worry about being politically correct, these "idiots" as you all like to call them have sucked us back into an unwinnable war costing billions of dollars and already costing American lives.
No one is "playing games over what to call them." As I have stated (and included numerous sources to back my statement), what they are called does mean something. It's important to them to be considered THE Islamic State - the mouthpiece of Islam, the representative of Islam in general. I don't intend to pander to that, and apparently neither do many other world leaders, our own president and many European heads of state included.

Also, determining what to call them doesn't take away any resources needed to combat their goals and their terrorism and their brutality.

Quote:
Make no mistake about it, this foe is extremely bright, extremely well funded, and has managed to manipulate a world power into doing exactly what they desire. They really don't care what we call them, nor do they care about our bombing and other military shenanigans. As soon as we tire, whether it be five years or 50, they will resume their march to worldwide power.

These are NOT the people you think they are, nor are they concerned about sacrificing a few million lives to accomplish their objectives.
I do, however, agree with much of this part of your post. I don't agree that "they don't care what we call them," but I do agree that REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE CALL THEM, they have goals (and resources and the ruthlessness to pursue those goals at great loss of human life and liberty) which should horrify all of the western world, and galvanize a united effort to stop them.

One of the most basic rules of combat is: When engaging with an enemy, one must be prepared to be more ruthless than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events