Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Honest, I didn't know that. I have never had occasion to interact with the police and have no idea what would have been required under those circumstances.

Perhaps there should be a video to teach us all, from youth to the elderly (that's me) what is expected.
You've never, once in your life, interacted with the police? I don't believe that. I'm considered a huge goodie too shoes and have been pulled over once. Again, most people know how to act when dealing with the police. It doesn't matter if you're young, middle-aged, elderly, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, male, or female. You never make sudden movements and never put your hands out of sight of the officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:12 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I highly disagree that they would have done something worse had he cooperated with law enforcement.
Didn't you see the tape of the black man getting shot down like a dog for reaching in his truck for his wallet?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:33 PM

24 posts, read 17,240 times
I recently got pulled over at night. I have a friend who has worked law enforcement and I knew that they need to be ready for anything when approaching a dark vehicle on the side of the road. They never know what they are going to run into and many officers have lost their lives during 'routine' traffic stops.

So I did what my friend said he wished every driver would do. I turned on my interior lights and placed my hands on my steering wheel in plain view of the officer. I'm sure he appreciated as I complied with every request he gave me and in the end let me off with a warning for driving too fast.

It's simple. Comply with police and 999 times out of 1,000, nothing bad will happen to you. Fight the police and you have a bad time, 100% of the time and the fault lies squarely on your own shoulders.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlassWarrior View Post
I recently got pulled over at night. I have a friend who has worked law enforcement and I knew that they need to be ready for anything when approaching a dark vehicle on the side of the road. They never know what they are going to run into and many officers have lost their lives during 'routine' traffic stops.
Many 7-11 clerks have lost their lives during routine transactions, but nobody gives them a free pass.

Quote:
It's simple. Comply with police and 999 times out of 1,000, nothing bad will happen to you. Fight the police and you have a bad time, 100% of the time and the fault lies squarely on your own shoulders.
Kneeling at the police zipper may be safer, but it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:43 PM

24 posts, read 17,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Kneeling at the police zipper may be safer, but it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Don't forget who placed them in the position they are in. We did. A scoiety needs laws and there must be an enforcement of those laws in order to maintain a civil society. What are the alternatives? I don't see any.

Your disgusting metaphor aside, if you have acted within the law you have nothing to fear and should respect and comply with law enforcement. If you decide you are above the law then feel free to act foolishly and see where that gets you. In this case, it's winding up sucking on the business end of a taser. Bottom line: Be respectful toward authority, just like we try to teach our children. We should be the examples.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 PM

671 posts, read 890,061 times
Stop making excuses for police that are out of control.. They handled that badly...Those people had rights that the police clearly were trying to circumvent.
A request to step out of a car is only that,nothing more. A declaration of you are being detained has to be made then a you must step out of the car directive issued. Cops know this and many people will only ask if they're being detained and if the answer is no then ask if they're free to go...After that point they tell the police they have nothing to say....People have had it with policemen trying to get them to do or say something that is not in their best interest.
It is exactly crap like this that essentially show police a brutality face to citizens not charged with a crime. They make it hard for the 99.9% of the decent police.....If your not calm enough to do the job,you don't belong on any police force....In the end the township will suffer a lawsuit and pay....

Old 10-09-2014, 08:30 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You've never, once in your life, interacted with the police? I don't believe that. I'm considered a huge goodie too shoes and have been pulled over once. Again, most people know how to act when dealing with the police. It doesn't matter if you're young, middle-aged, elderly, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, male, or female. You never make sudden movements and never put your hands out of sight of the officer.
Actually not.

Now that I think of it I did have a County Sherriff's Office as a client in a HR matter. Didn't have occasion to discuss any citizen-Sheriff interaction protocols.

Don't assume that because some know citizen-police etiquette that others do. Perhaps that should be taught along with how to set a table for a 4-course meal.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:23 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
how to not get butt kicked by police

Old 10-09-2014, 09:30 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
It's ridiculous that a passenger needs to show ID. It's also ridiculous that these people sat in the car and argued for 15 minutes. I couldn't even understand half of what they were saying. Next time just get out of the car.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
I never knew there was a legal requirement to produce identification as a passenger. I could have sworn there have been cases that said there is no such requirement. Sure, an officer can ask, but is it required that someone not being accused of a crime provide ID?

Sorry, I have to put all blame on the cop here.

(I'm usually pro-LE, but in this case I have to call a screw-up a screw-up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events