Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Interesting that the "mom" didn't say a single WORD to her seven year old who was scared and crying.

ALSO didn't put her KIDS FIRST and tell the jerk to GET OUT OF THE CAR.

I would have left him there and let them figure it out.
I agree with this. Making a point was more important to her than comforting her child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlassWarrior View Post
Don't forget who placed them in the position they are in. We did. A scoiety needs laws and there must be an enforcement of those laws in order to maintain a civil society. What are the alternatives? I don't see any.

Your disgusting metaphor aside, if you have acted within the law you have nothing to fear and should respect and comply with law enforcement. If you decide you are above the law then feel free to act foolishly and see where that gets you. In this case, it's winding up sucking on the business end of a taser. Bottom line: Be respectful toward authority, just like we try to teach our children. We should be the examples.
I wish the bolded were true, but as an African American, I feel fear everytime a cop car gets behind me, even if I am not pulled over. I wish that I could believe that cops can overlook the color of my skin, but too much has happened for me to think otherwise. I do comply when pulled over, and I have been treated with nothing but respect by law enforcement, but sooner or later I may run into the wrong officer on the wrong night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Stop making excuses for police that are out of control.. They handled that badly...Those people had rights that the police clearly were trying to circumvent.
A request to step out of a car is only that,nothing more. A declaration of you are being detained has to be made then a you must step out of the car directive issued. Cops know this and many people will only ask if they're being detained and if the answer is no then ask if they're free to go...After that point they tell the police they have nothing to say....People have had it with policemen trying to get them to do or say something that is not in their best interest.
It is exactly crap like this that essentially show police a brutality face to citizens not charged with a crime. They make it hard for the 99.9% of the decent police.....If your not calm enough to do the job,you don't belong on any police force....In the end the township will suffer a lawsuit and pay....
In my state, an adult must have ID on them at all times. Cops also run the licenses of everyone in the car during a traffic stop. I thought that this was common everywhere. What rights were they trying to circumvent? It was a valid stop - they were not wearing seatbelts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It seems he thought it was a friendlier exchange than it really was. He might have been getting I.D. from the back or trying to calm his kids down. Either way, even though it seems friendly at first, don't make the mistake of thinking you can act that way. Keep your hands up, say yes sir or mam, and do as told no matter what. You just can't take the chance.
I don't buy that they thought it was a friendly exchange. The woman called 911 the moment she was pulled over. If they were pulled over without cause, I can understand - but they weren't.

I have no idea what the husband was thinking reaching around the backseat. It wasn't a smart thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Where is everyone seeing what happened before the guy was removed from the car? The video only shows the cop breaking the window and tasing the guy. How do we know what happened before?
I saw the extended version somewhere. CNN or YouTube maybe?

Old 10-10-2014, 08:07 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm usually the first to bash LEOs when they abuse power, but this guy really is a dipstick.

What did he think was going to happen? That they would just say " oh okay. Never mind." ?
I know they are always afraid, but not everyone is going to shoot them in the face. Most people aren't for that matter. It comes with the job, and if they can't be realistic about it because they are so afraid of people it's time to retire. You can't just go around assuming everyone is going to kill you if you don't act in a violent manner first. They need to use logic, it's not an excuse to over react unless we start allowing it to be.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I agree with this. Making a point was more important to her than comforting her child.
How do you know she never comforted her child?

I wish the bolded were true, but as an African American, I feel fear everytime a cop car gets behind me, even if I am not pulled over. I wish that I could believe that cops can overlook the color of my skin, but too much has happened for me to think otherwise. I do comply when pulled over, and I have been treated with nothing but respect by law enforcement, but sooner or later I may run into the wrong officer on the wrong night.

I imagine they were also concerned because of this.

I don't buy that they thought it was a friendly exchange. The woman called 911 the moment she was pulled over. If they were pulled over without cause, I can understand - but they weren't.
Why did she call, maybe she was trying to protect them from being abused? It doesn't make sense that she would call 911 for nothing.

I have no idea what the husband was thinking reaching around the backseat. It wasn't a smart thing to do.
Of course it ended up being stupid, but why is it so hard for anyone to think these people cared about their kids or their safety? What exactly did they do to make everyone think they were uncaring? A lot of people who don't wear seat belts aren't criminals. I guess people have to justify this so that they aren't worried about it happening to them.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I think a lot of low lifes think they can push the envelope now with police confrontations in hopes of publicity and a payout if the cop loses his cool.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think a lot of low lifes think they can push the envelope now with police confrontations in hopes of publicity and a payout if the cop loses his cool.
Maybe you're right, and they were just low life's pushing the envelope to get a payout from the cops losing their cool. I guess it was a good bet, I do feel for those poor officers involved. Now they have a lawsuit going, either way it's not a good turn out.
But, on the bright side, 90 or more percent of the public will side with the officers. So, they will probably win the case, and those people won't see a dime, but will be known as losers via media play.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:23 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Of course it ended up being stupid, but why is it so hard for anyone to think these people cared about their kids or their safety? What exactly did they do to make everyone think they were uncaring? A lot of people who don't wear seat belts aren't criminals. I guess people have to justify this so that they aren't worried about it happening to them.

Did you not hear the child wailing in the backseat? Did you hear the Mom say one word to her child other than, "Are you getting all of this?"

I would expect, I don't know...something along the lines of ,"It's going to be ok." Something...anything to try to calm the child down.

I never said that they were criminals, but I am not understanding why the man did not just get out of the vehicle when asked. They escalated the situation.

As to your last sentence - I worry about it happening to me everytime I get into my car. I do not have the luxury of denial. But at the same time, why give them a reason? The people were non-compliant. The cops were within their rights to ask for ID and to ask the passenger to get out of the car.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:26 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
I know they are always afraid, but not everyone is going to shoot them in the face. Most people aren't for that matter. It comes with the job, and if they can't be realistic about it because they are so afraid of people it's time to retire. You can't just go around assuming everyone is going to kill you if you don't act in a violent manner first. They need to use logic, it's not an excuse to over react unless we start allowing it to be.
That is the exact opposite of what they are trained to do. They are supposed to proceed with every traffic stop with extreme caution. My brother in law is a police officer and he still is amazed at the amount of resistance he gets even for a warning instead of a ticket.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Did you not hear the child wailing in the backseat? Did you hear the Mom say one word to her child other than, "Are you getting all of this?"

I would expect, I don't know...something along the lines of ,"It's going to be ok." Something...anything to try to calm the child down.

I never said that they were criminals, but I am not understanding why the man did not just get out of the vehicle when asked. They escalated the situation.

As to your last sentence - I worry about it happening to me everytime I get into my car. I do not have the luxury of denial. But at the same time, why give them a reason? The people were non-compliant. The cops were within their rights to ask for ID and to ask the passenger to get out of the car.
To me they were obviously scared, and that is why they taped it and she called 911 before he would get out of the car. Maybe I'm being naive here, as I'm being told, but if you are black and dealing with white officers in this climate you might be worried, call me stupid.
I worry as well for my son who could easily be mistaken for someone not complying. As well as their are some bad cops out there. I just think some people are afraid and that issue should be addressed and not covered up by just calling them stupid thugs looking for money.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
That is the exact opposite of what they are trained to do. They are supposed to proceed with every traffic stop with extreme caution. My brother in law is a police officer and he still is amazed at the amount of resistance he gets even for a warning instead of a ticket.
I had a brother in law enforcement area, not a cop, he passed. I see things lately as a need to address the public and train officers better in human communication. I see this as the public fearing officers more instead of working with them like they use to. Call me stupid, but, I don't think this new age will work with police like this, with cameras, and video, they need to have some new approaches.
I think all police need to have cameras on to protect themselves and to give them pause and help protect the public. I also think they need more psych training as people are creating mass fear and we have more mentally ill children right now then ever before, which will mean more mentally ill adults in the future.

Don't get me wrong though, I understand their job is hellish as my brother suffered from grief. He was military as well, and had a lot of other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events