Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:42 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why do many believe that its better to give to charity?

Don't you guys know the Ceo"s of non profits make $$$ too?
Wasn't there an article that the Ceo? of Susan G Koman made $250,000 in one yr?

1/2 of the money you give to charity is skimmed off from the jump.

Panhandling cuts out the greedy middleman in some cases.

There are sites that can help determine how much a charity gives to their cause. It definite helped to know how much is given to administrative and other costs:

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:22 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Jobs was/is pretty idealized. Anytime I mention college is a new necessity to get ahead, someone will bring up some tech entrepreneur.
Oh sure there are some exceptions. People who did things that had a significant impact on our lives. So that's like 2% of CEO's.
But the main point was a rebuttal to MrWilley who was trying to make some weird point about how this bothers us but CEO's making millions doesn't....

Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
don't hate the player: hate the game.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Sounds like what happened at Wegmans last week: We found ourselves behind a woman whose EBT card was rejected due to insufficient funds (or exceeding a certain amount), the cashier summoned a manager for the inevitable what-do-we-do-now summit, the transaction was ultimately approved, and......when DH and I got to the lot, she was still loading her cart of groceries (and 2 mum plants) into her Escalade.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:

That's an awful lot of hyperbole.

By working with charity at the local level like Salvation Army, homeless shelters etc. they have the rules and processes in place to help those that are trying to get back on their feet. That way my $$$ is going to get someone help that is trying to change thier situation instead of get enough money to get high.

The main charity I support now is anonymous through my kids school where kids that don't have enough money for things like participating in band or bus money etc. can anonymously seek help and then anonymously recieve it by whomever feels compelled by their need. 0% overhead.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:

yeah, panhandling cuts the middleman and goes straight to alcohol and drugs.

the charities hire people that can raise lots of money and operate efficiently. you need to look at more than just the people you are jealous of that make more money than you.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 AM

174 posts, read 181,654 times
These leach con artists are all over Orlando, you can see them at different corners different hours of the day. They park their new cars in WalMart parking lots nearby. The stupid will continue to feed this con. How about the newest con going on at the gas station. "Oh hey excuse me but I am from out of town and very low on gas, can you spare a few bucks for gas". Personally I refuse to go to gas stations that allow this crap, so if they don't enforce rules eventually these scammers will hurt their business.

Again the stupid feed this con.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
At least the woman got off her Azz and went to work when she needed some cash.

That's the old American Spirit.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinctwentyone View Post
These leach con artists are all over Orlando, you can see them at different corners different hours of the day. They park their new cars in WalMart parking lots nearby. The stupid will continue to feed this con. How about the newest con going on at the gas station. "Oh hey excuse me but I am from out of town and very low on gas, can you spare a few bucks for gas". Personally I refuse to go to gas stations that allow this crap, so if they don't enforce rules eventually these scammers will hurt their business.

Again the stupid feed this con.
Those gas station clerks aren't paid enough to care. Plus theyre worried for their life enough as it is. I got infuriated one day when I was pumping gas (also in Fl) and a little kid ran up to me asking for gas money cause "my momma need gas cause my daddy left us." I looked around and there were three other kids saying the same thing to other customers. I told him no way as did the rest of the people there. The kids then ran across the street to the next gas station.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:04 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
it's so easy to get a credit card these days, I never believe the story about needing money for gas, if they are too dumb to not have a credit card they are too dumb and irresponsible to be driving a car.

If I didnt have money for gas I wouldnt drive my car, if your that poor, then you wont even have the money for a tow truck

they really just want money but make up some story, I wont even talk to them, if you start talking then they will try and shake your hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events