Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I don't believe anyone in my family would ever commit suicide due to illness (or any other reason for that matter) as they are Christians and don't believe in that. But I'm all for anyone who wants to kill themselves being able to do it in any manner that pleases them at the time.

So then that means you agree it should be legal in all 50 then, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:29 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
So then that means you agree it should be legal in all 50 then, right?
Even on the moon.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:10 PM

316 posts, read 437,313 times
This whole story is one of the most moronic, asinine pieces of crap that I've ever witnessed. First of all, I find it tragic that the poor woman is dying of brain cancer, and this is how she's choosing to spend her last days on earth? By going on a stupid PR campaign for the "right to die with dignity"? That's almost as tragic as her having brain cancer in the first place. What a colossal waste of time that would be much better spent enjoying the world and the people around her.

Lemmie tell you something: It's called assisted suicide, it happens many, many times in this country with the aid of hospice nurses and / or family members, and nobody is ever charged with a crime because it never gets reported. When I saw the video, complete with sad music and tears, the only empathy I felt was due to the fact that the poor woman was dying. Whether or not she gets a "certificate" or whatever, "allowing" her to "die with dignity" from the STATE, is utterly pointless and such a waste of this woman's precious little time left on this planet. But hey, whatever. Who am I to judge her? Maybe she just really, really likes being an "activist" (she is from SF after all), and doing this kind of thing is how she's always enjoyed spending her time.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 PM

234 posts, read 220,024 times
This is so heart breaking, and personally for me I would probably consider this option for two reason. First it allows me to be prepared and make sure I say goodbye to all my loved once and second the longer my family watched me suffers, the longer they suffer. Its still not an easy decision to make. Oregon is one of few states that have this option.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksburgh View Post
This whole story is one of the most moronic, asinine pieces of crap that I've ever witnessed. First of all, I find it tragic that the poor woman is dying of brain cancer, and this is how she's choosing to spend her last days on earth? By going on a stupid PR campaign for the "right to die with dignity"? That's almost as tragic as her having brain cancer in the first place. What a colossal waste of time that would be much better spent enjoying the world and the people around her.

Lemmie tell you something: It's called assisted suicide, it happens many, many times in this country with the aid of hospice nurses and / or family members, and nobody is ever charged with a crime because it never gets reported. When I saw the video, complete with sad music and tears, the only empathy I felt was due to the fact that the poor woman was dying. Whether or not she gets a "certificate" or whatever, "allowing" her to "die with dignity" from the STATE, is utterly pointless and such a waste of this woman's precious little time left on this planet. But hey, whatever. Who am I to judge her? Maybe she just really, really likes being an "activist" (she is from SF after all), and doing this kind of thing is how she's always enjoyed spending her time.
I truly feel so sorry for you for you right now, perhaps more than for any other poster I have ever read on CD.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 PM

148 posts, read 182,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
In this case, yes, she can die however she wants, because she happens to be in a state that allows her access to the medication.

Why shouldn't people everywhere have that same choice?
You could use it to kill someone else for one.

The people making the drug are complicit in killing someone else which is not acceptable. Furthermore they are likely to be profiting for it which is morally and ethically unacceptable as well. Don't say something like guns are similar. Guns are supposed to protect life if used properly.

Does the husband not have a right to stop his wife killing if he wanted? Or her mother.

What if the entire family believe they can't take it anymore and kill themselves. You know that this is America and a billion people will kill themselves too just because they want some attention.

Who decides what is an acceptable reason to get this medication? Maybe I am too stressed with life and just want to end it. Suddenly any reason for suicide would be okay and acceptable in society. Hey its my life why not.

What kind of society would all this create. We live together and whatever we do affects others even if it is just to ourselves. We live in a society which is why we have rules to keep our values safe.

I feel for her and others in her situation. But you just have to do the best you can with what you are given. She is scared but has a loving family around her who would want to spend every minute they possibly could with her. I pray she will have the strength to carry on. Maybe the strength she shows would inspire something in others and make a real difference to others. It may encourage others who have little hope to carry on not to give up and maybe one of them will survive and it would all be worth it. Something that would not be possible if she killed herself.

You never know tomorrow a cure could be found.

All life is a gift.

Last edited by GAtoFL; 10-13-2014 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
"You know that this is America and a billion people will kill themselves too just because they want some attention"

What the hell is that suppose to mean?

She should have the choice to do as she pleases, it's her dying not anyone else. It's so easy to say what others should do, when it's not you facing the life she would be facing. It's not her choice she has this, but it should be her choice regarding whether to carry on or not. Go look at the faces in the hospice and long term care facilities, what you see are sad, lonely and very sick folks. They are existing not living there is a huge difference between the two. I'd rather be dead than die slowly in one of those places. People should have the right to say, check please.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Poor woman. I cannot fault her at all for choosing to die on her own terms, rather die ravaged by disease. All people should be able to die with dignity, no matter the reason for wanting death. It is their own life, it should be their own say, and no one should have to resort to a violent or painful method to do so. While I applaud Oregon, I still think it is too restrictive.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 PM

19 posts, read 16,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
"You know that this is America and a billion people will kill themselves too just because they want some attention"

What the hell is that suppose to mean?
I think it means it will open the floodgates for crazy people to do it. Probably be a few live on Jerry Springer.

Sometimes you have to think of the wider consequences of your decisions. She put it in the news so no it isn't just about her.

Plus how many say cancer victims have wanted to end it all and are living wonderful happy lives now?

Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 PM

19 posts, read 16,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
She should have the choice to do as she pleases, it's her dying not anyone else.
No one can really stop her killing herself if she wants to. She has the choice without the medication. The issue is whether we should give her the means to do it. This raises many issues which is why it isn't currently done in most parts of the world eg how can we stop it getting into the wrong hands, being sold on the black market, legalising a form of killing and some others have mentioned plenty of concerns earlier etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events