Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM

518 posts, read 469,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Vigilante justice? Let me know how that works out for you.
Justice is never wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So what is your suggestion. Should there be no chain of command or protocol for how LEOs handle the apprehension of criminals and make arrests? Or should they just not bother at all.
If my boss told me to drive down a road blindfolded and I kill someone who is responsable? I am of course. These people fired a deadly weapon into a room they had no absoloute knowledge about. Same criminal act. Ignornce is no excuse. Ask any judge!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:17 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Angry *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit
Blech. Sickens me.
Yup....... Cops get away with horrible crimes everyday....... Its very sad!!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
If my boss told me to drive down a road blindfolded and I kill someone who is responsable? I am of course. These people fired a deadly weapon into a room they had no absoloute knowledge about. Same criminal act. Ignornce is no excuse. Ask any judge!
We are not talking about being asked to do something illegal. We are talking about something that is inline with your profession that you have been trained on and expected to do as part of your job description.

Actually, this isn't a deadly weapon and they did have knowledge, albeit wrong information.

So you did not answer the question.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
We are not talking about being asked to do something illegal. We are talking about something that is inline with your profession that you have been trained on and expected to do as part of your job description.

Actually, this isn't a deadly weapon and they did have knowledge, albeit wrong information.

So ignorance is bliss ? Sorry I hurt your baby or shot you I was given the wrong address.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 AM

624 posts, read 763,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I'm appalled by this decision, but not surprised. And a million dollar medical bill courtesy of the cops. This was a case where they had monitored his activity for sometime and could have taken him away from the house. One has to wonder about those that planned this fiasco. You can excuse these kind of raids and tragic injury to children that have done no crimes, they just happen to be relatives of such types not by their own choosing if you like, but that doesn't let off the responsibility of the cops to insure the safety of innocent folks in that residence. They say protect and serve. That means in chases or cases like this, they must keep the safety of the general public as the primary concern. Your lack of compassion for the child is truly disgusting. I was a cop for several years, but I believe people need to be accountable for their actions and roided hair-trigger bully type cops need to be fired. I've seen that type up close. While it would be costly, all cops should be wearing body cams and all departments should do yearly psych testing.

I'm sure the way you think you would be on the side of the Detroit officer that shot and killed 7 year old Aiyana Jones in a no knock raid, where the suspect was not even there. More poor planning. In that case his own gross negligence killed this child when the gun fired in the house. Two trials and he still may walk. So no one has to pay for these errors of judgement. One of these cop type shows was trailing along behind them. Departments should not allow that, it makes cops act differently and breaks their concentration as they play to cameras.

How about this case from Flint, Michigan. As a pet lover, this made me very angry. A raid to find someone, they go to the wrong house, but before leaving they shoot the elderly residents 15 year old dog that had wandered out the back door as the woman retrieved her ID for the cops. The old dog was certainly no threat. If officers with big guns are scared of an old dog showing no aggression whatsoever then they are certainly not fit for this type of work. They are suing as well they should. The cops have yet to take care of the huge vet bill as they promised. And I'm certain the officer won't be terminated. Cops shooting peoples non-aggressive pets has also become a problem.

No one said the job wasn't a tough one, that doesn't mean accountability and professionalism should not be maintained.

Flint couple's lawsuit: Police shot dog while raiding wrong house
Yup. They just love killing people's pets.

Eazy E was right.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
it seems that many of these posts are about no knock raids. no knock raids need to be reviewed.
braking into a house with guns blazing is ok if there is a dead certainty of people on the other side of the door with guns intending to kill you. saying ooppps we got the wrong house is not acceptable.
this is happening too often.
recently a young handicapped olympic athlete in south africa was jailed for shooting thru a door to kill someone. we too are responsible if we use deadly force without certain justification. our high tech abilities should enable us to use better methods to do no knock.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Just because you are told to do something you are still responsable for your actions. No one should be above the law. How can you call putting a flash-bang grenade in a crib or bed with a child anything but "illegal"? In what universe is this ok?

First of all, firing into an occupied dewling is illegal.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So ignorance is bliss ? Sorry I hurt your baby or shot you I was given the wrong address.
Can you avoid the question some more? I sense that you can not see things objectively but I don't think the answer is to criminalize people who are doing their job legally in a manner that they were trained to do their job. There are particular jobs that are dangerous and where one must rely on others or be at the mercy of others to do their job. We cant hold these people personally responsible for every action when they have not violated any rules and they have done due diligence.

I think the solution is to change the laws and the way certain procedures are carried out.

You know one could also ask why would you deliberately put your child or yourself in harms way. Why did you put your sleeping baby against the door of a house where crystal meth was being sold. Why did you have your baby in a house where crystal meth was sold? Is ignorance bliss? Sorry I involved myself with drug trafficking and endangered my child, I didn't think it was a criminal activity associated with violence.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
Just because you are told to do something you are still responsable for your actions. No one should be above the law. How can you call putting a flash-bang grenade in a crib or bed with a child anything but "illegal"? In what universe is this ok?

First of all, firing into an occupied dewling is illegal.
Because according to the articles and investigation as we know it the officers did not put a flash bang grenade in a crib with a child. The officers had no indication there were children in the house where meth was sold earlier that day, a reasonable person would not believe there would be a sleeping baby right up against the front door of a house where meth was sold earlier that day. They were acting on a warrant handed down based on information from an informant and their actions were within the law. It is not illegal for a police officer to fire into an occupied dwelling. I do not believe the officers fired any rounds. They tossed in a flash grenade which is not illegal under the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events