Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Please!

Police officer isn't even in the top ten most dangerous jobs, and most of those who die do it from auto accidents, not serving warrants. If you're trusted with great power, you need to exercise great responsibility & clearly that didn't happen here.
The difference is, at construction jobs and other dangerous occupations, people don't try to kill you just because of who you are or what you represent. Deaths at other occupations are almost always the result of accidents.

Yes, many police deaths are caused by auto accidents... Driving 8-12 hrs per day is pretty hazardous, especially when you're responding to emergency situations that require faster driving. Even if you are very cautious, sometimes the weather conditions throw that out the window. I drove over an iced bridge on a highway at about 15 mph one time and started sliding sideways down the other side... at about 15 mph. I was literally sliding in slow motion. I slowly slid past other wrecked cars and stayed on the road even though there was a 30 ft hill on the side of the road after the bridge. I wouldn't have died, but I could have been seriously hurt if I slid over the side. That same morning, someone was struck and killed two miles down the road when they got out of their car. I would have preferred not to respond to icy wrecks, but it is part of the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 12:16 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Did you read that article? How about the fact they went to the wrong apartment, the one Aiyana was in? How about the fact they knew kids lived there and as the other officer said, they had time. Shouldn't young children in the house be taken into consideration when planning a raid of this kind? And why not just wait for him to leave, they had an informant that could have let them know when he left to go out. It was their plan that got this child killed. That officer likely was playing to the cameras trailing behind them rather than concentrating fully on his job. That officers negligence got the child killed. They weren't even in the apartment of the guy they were originally after, the one that shot the teen. Granted the family has some bad seeds in it and I pity any poor child growing up around that kind of stuff, nonetheless this child was killed due to officer error, it was his mistake. He should not be allowed to get away with killing this child, nor should the ones that planned the fiasco be allowed to shirk their responsibility in this mess. I think the Einstein that planned this mission should be charged and fired as well. You act so very matter of fact and heartless about it. I would like to see justice for Aiyana, she was an innocent party, she did nothing wrong, the officer should have to be held accountable for taking her life as should the department for devising such a stupid plan. This mirrors the original case of this thread in poor planning and stupidity.
If it was their intention to get the child killed, how was it the officers [sic] negligence that got the child killed. At least pick one fantastical story and stick to it rather than mixing them up.

The officer was held accountable. He went to court, jury was unable to find him guilty.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:38 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
If it was their intention to get the child killed, how was it the officers [sic] negligence that got the child killed. At least pick one fantastical story and stick to it rather than mixing them up.

The officer was held accountable. He went to court, jury was unable to find him guilty.
I'm sorry if you don't see the parallels between the two stories and have trouble keeping the cases straight. I thought I was quite clear. In both cases, the injury to the child from the grenade and the death of the child in Detroit was due to a poor operating plan, not considering the possibility of injury to children in the house and not considering they could pick the guy up away from the house at a later date. The guy that threw the grenade will not face charges and apparently neither will the idiot that planned the raid. In my opinion the fool that planned the raid is the one ultimately responsible for this child being injured. One could also say Oscar Pistorius was held accountable, that too would be a joke of infinite magnitude. Had this not been a case of black victim, white officer, I doubt this guy would have even been charged, as likely there would not have been the same amount of pressure from the community and the media to do something.

Zippyman, two officers were killed just the other day in Sacramento. Last month, an officer in Arizona was shot in the face by members linked to the Mexican Mafia during a traffic stop. Two cops in NYC were attacked by a loon with a hatchet. And there are countless incidents of officer injury when handling domestic type calls. It is a very dangerous and stressful job. It's easy to talk and dismiss the dangers when you have never done the job. I do agree with you, they do need to exercise great responsibility and operate in a professional manner.

Last edited by todd00; 10-26-2014 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events