Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Blech. You people are raising a bunch of pansies. The mall? Geeze, that's fun (not)
Yeah, I don't understand parents nowadays. Seriously, no trick or treating in a neighborhood? Do they live in a warzone? I can't understand why parents are so overprotective to the point of suffocating their kids. I would hate to grow up like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The same ones who spike the brownies they bring to work or a event. Very common. many thing do not make sense in this world now days.
LOL, again, here in Colorado and not once has anyone tried to spike anything, and we have LOTS of potlucks at my work, and a few known (and probably many un-declared) pot smokers, too. My work doesn't even test employees, although it says in the hiring contract that they could if they wanted to. Thing is, if you can't actually do the job here you just won't last long regardless. It's that simple.

As for kids not being allowed to trick or treat in neighborhoods...OK if it's a cold climate (I lived in Iowa and we had some downright frigid Halloween nights) I can see taking the little ones to the mall. If you live in an area where it's not safe, or where there isn't much trick or treating going on, you go elsewhere. But if you live in a decent area, where you let your kid go out and play anyhow, I don't see the issue and I think it's an overreaction. On that note, we lived in an area in WA (part of the suburb of Lacey, near Olympia) where there just was no trick or treating happening. The first year I was puzzled, and eventually asked a neighbor who was walking her dog. She said, "Oh, we don't bother with it here really, everyone just goes down to Capital Way." Well, I took her advice, not knowing what I was in for but game for adventure. We drove out there and parked at a school where lots of others were parking, and started trekking about...MAN was it COOL!! They went all out in that area. Loads of decorations, costumed people (lots of adults, even without kids) walking around, a house with a bajillion amazing artistically carved pumpkins, and even wandering troupes of musicians in costume! What a blast! I feel sorry for anyone with access to something so amazing that cowers in their home because "omg strangers." Sometimes ya gotta just throw caution to the wind and go live life. And it's a lesson I want my kids to learn, too. Those fond memories will be with us forever.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, I don't understand parents nowadays. Seriously, no trick or treating in a neighborhood? Do they live in a warzone? I can't understand why parents are so overprotective to the point of suffocating their kids. I would hate to grow up like that.
Yeah, soon there will just be an ap for that, so kids can pretend to go trick or treating on their so-called smart phone. Are we every going to get tired of the fear train? We certainly aren't living much these days. 9/11 really killed us.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yeah, soon there will just be an ap for that, so kids can pretend to go trick or treating on their so-called smart phone. Are we every going to get tired of the fear train? We certainly aren't living much these days. 9/11 really killed us.
I think that paranoid people have been around way longer than that, and lots of us still reject that mindset and get out there and live it up. I know I do. And when I do, there's normally plenty of others out there doing the same. Every flight I've been on in the last few years (several) are booked pretty solid. Concerts still sold out. Events still crowded. Plenty of people out living and doing stuff...and when I'm in their company, it's hard for me to believe that America "nowadays" is this terrible place full of terrible people I'm supposed to be scared of. They seem pretty nice to me. The sun is still shinin'. The world is still turnin'.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,847 times
Sorry kids, Dad's gonna have to confiscate your 'tainted' candy and dispose of it properly.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 PM

15 posts, read 14,514 times
Weed destroyed the life of my niece Aurora when my stoner brother-in-law ran her over with the snow plow they were riding around on just for fun. Luckily my nephew didn't fall off and get run over but at 23 he crashed into a tree in a police chase when he was under the influence of mj and had some in the car.
I also blame weed for making my sister a mindless, worthless, do nothing, irresponsible lazy cow.

I smoked weed in my younger days and also did some coke and alcohol, but as an adult I became responsible and stopped because I had someone else to think about and be responsible for.

You can relax with a good book or music, a nice long walk, an exercise routine, you don't need drugs to do it.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:11 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreganized View Post
Weed destroyed the life of my niece Aurora when my stoner brother-in-law ran her over with the snow plow they were riding around on just for fun. Luckily my nephew didn't fall off and get run over but at 23 he crashed into a tree in a police chase when he was under the influence of mj and had some in the car.
I also blame weed for making my sister a mindless, worthless, do nothing, irresponsible lazy cow.

I smoked weed in my younger days and also did some coke and alcohol, but as an adult I became responsible and stopped because I had someone else to think about and be responsible for.

You can relax with a good book or music, a nice long walk, an exercise routine, you don't need drugs to do it.
I love these made up stories, they make me feel warm & fuzzy.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:

You also don't need a good book or music, or a nice long walk, or an exercise routing. You see what I'm getting at?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,927 times
Quote:
Yah, you can tell from the first two words:
Quote:
Weed destroyed...
Yah, sure it did.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Now, let's be fair. It might not be made up. But the takeaway is that some people who were users have ruined their lives. With it, because of it, or hey...here's a thought...maybe they weren't rocket surgeons to begin with, what? Now I will say that as a teen, I was simultaneously often stoned, and very demotivated and irresponsible. I, too, quit when I became an adult (and more importantly a Mom) and left it behind.

But...

I've known too many others who used it without major negative consequences to their lifestyle, to write it off as being unilaterally bad for all.

I'm only saying that it is equally delusional to say that a negative outcome never happens, as it is to say that it always does.

But more importantly, to the guy with the story about the snow plow, did anyone give your sister pot candy when she was a kid trick or treating? Has she given it to children? Inquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events